_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Soviet Valentine's
darreng
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 789 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 05:33 PM UTC
I want to build a Valentine Mk III as being used by the Soviets under the Lend-Lease programme.
And I was wondering if these were up-gunned with the 76mm gun as used by the KV and T-34 or was it the latter mark of Valentine's only?
Are there any photos or drawings of up-gunned Valentine's?
Please help
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 08:59 PM UTC
hi , I am certain that they never fitted any Russian guns into the Valentine , the only upgrade I know of is the 6pdr cheers ian
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 10:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi , I am certain that they never fitted any Russian guns into the Valentine , the only upgrade I know of is the 6pdr cheers ian

According to Steven Zaloga and James Grandsen's Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of WW II, in 1942, the Russians tried to re-arm the Valentine with a 76.2mm cannon but the turret was too small.
I would imagine they were trying to convert any Valentine III's through X's that they received via Lend-Lease.
The book states that only 2 and 6 pounder Valentines were used by the Soviets but doesn't say whether any Valentines XI's with 75mm's were shipped to Russia.
Maybe someone with better references can shed some light on the subject.
You could always build a "what if?" prototype!!
Cheers

jjumbo
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:54 PM UTC
I believe that is correct - I have looked over lots of Valentine photos and I have never seen one with anything other than original armament. Same with other Lend-Lease tanks.
 _GOTOTOP