_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
vietnam jungle dio
rphillips78
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 08:08 PM UTC
hi guys i have been working on a few projects just now and i must realy finish the iraq dio for the campaign im in!
but i have been sidetracked by my next dio. It will be a LRRP patrol somewhere in the vietnam jungle i have not started the men yet but have finnished the jungle all bar alittle tuching up!!!!!

Please give me any thoughts and any advise for painting tiger stripe camo
THE MAN IN THE PIC IS TO SHOW YOU THE SIZE!!!!!

cheers Rob

mulligan
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Rob
You say you have finished the jungle for this Dio. You are going to paint those plastic plants i take it. but i must say those larger ones are far to big for this scale when you look at the leaves. Also its only a susgestion but have you thought of put crushed up dried leaves (real ones) or dried herbs as forrest debri on your ground work.
Cheers Ross
rphillips78
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:17 PM UTC
well i was not planning to paint the plastic plants as i read in a book that leaving them gives the impresion of rain/due damp ect.......
as for the big leaves i have looked on google and found plenty of large leaved bush/tree s

thanks for the input i did think overall it looked quite good

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 12:46 AM UTC
The shapes are great, don't know about the scale - the tropics can have some big plants so that's your call.

What I would like to see is some sculpting and carving of the joints of the large plants. Add a smidge of putty to blend the connectors a bit better. They are a bit square.
rphillips78
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 01:09 AM UTC
hi,
i might give that a go, i do think you have a point.

any ideas on tiger stripes camo
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 02:19 PM UTC
Pretty ok arrangement for your first go. There are some disadvantages to using plastic aquarium plants. Scott has mentioned one being the apparent joints. That's not too major. The other being the scale. Not to get too technical but the plants you have used for the background appear to be Philidendrons and while the leaves can grow fairly large I'm afraid they appear too large here vs. your fig. The other thingy about acquarium plants is the need to paint over them to make them look, well, less plastic. You can always put back the shiny sheen to simulate wetness with a satin or gloss coat.

Having said all that again ultimately its your call and the most important viewer is yourself.

As for painting tiger stripes if my poor memory holds there maybe a feature or at least a photo feature on it here in Armorama a while back. I think the photo feature was on a bust of a Ranger. Osprey's book on US special forces has some very good reference plates as well. Basically there are several variations to Tiger stripes. I chose the simplest in the a vignette I did sometime back. I think there's a little explanation how I approached it somewhere down the post.
https://hfmodeling.kitmaker.net/forums/48064#403642

Good luck.
rphillips78
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 - 07:20 PM UTC
i didnt realise tiger strips were soooo tricky to do well i will have a bash
 _GOTOTOP