_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML Zimmerit - Image Update
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:07 AM UTC
Dragon Models Ltd have updated the ''Inside Story'' on their new initiative to pre-mould zimmerit onto suitable models. The first, the Kingtiger (Henschel Turret) has now been updated with new images. The update on the original story, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:16 AM UTC
The Zimmerit looks very realistic, you wouldn't say it's molded in situ.

Only thing is, where is the gun sight opening in the turret front?
Catch-22
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 345 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:29 AM UTC

I think this is superb idea, and I'll be buying one of these kits... but they've missed a trick - the application on a vertical 'edge' (like the edge of the turret shown) would be applied parallel with the edge... a 'column' of zimmerit would not be cut through by that edge line.
Catch-22
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 07:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

this one? Get your drill out.

Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 08:01 AM UTC
I'm really excited about them trying this, and I will definitely buy one. I hope they do it right, and I'm not going to throw any barbs based on promotional shots. I'll wait until I see what the actual kit looks like.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is superb idea, and I'll be buying one of these kits... but they've missed a trick - the application on a vertical 'edge' (like the edge of the turret shown) would be applied parallel with the edge... a 'column' of zimmerit would not be cut through by that edge line.

Don't rely on the Zimmerit featured on the Saumur vehicles, as that is a museum addition, and the patterns are not necessarily accurate (their Jagdpanther 's pattern was particularly fanciful).
As for exact patterns, that appears to have been largely up to the factory crew assigned that day. Judging from photos (and the interview with Henshel's chief engineer published in "Tiger and Strumtiger in Detail"), the patterns on the side of Tiger II turrets was usually applied with a sheet metal comb, so the pattern might well be parallel to the bottom edge of the turret rather than the top. The turret front on the other hand, was usually patterned freehand using the trowel, as is evident in the 503rd Battalion's 233 photographed in Budapest shown in the thread above.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 09:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it was there Herbert and it was seen by an over enthusiastic person in the art department as a blemish or something and used a bit of zimmerit image from elsewhere to cover it.

Seems a little different pattern in that area to me.

Wonder how they'll achieve the track hangers fitted to the turret sides, tiny pieces like that are not going to fix well to that uneven surface. Guess they'll mod the mould and make it small square flat areas to fasten them.

Anyway I'm sure it will be sorted by the time it hits the streets.

Alan
Catch-22
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 10:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't rely on the Zimmerit featured on the Saumur vehicles, as that is a museum addition, .........

The picture I showed is from the Bovington example - are you saying that this zimmerit is post-war?
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Don't rely on the Zimmerit featured on the Saumur vehicles, as that is a museum addition, .........

The picture I showed is from the Bovington example - are you saying that this zimmerit is post-war?

It's the Tiger-B with the simplified turret, right? The one they got recently. That Tiger-B had Zimmerit when it was captured.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 05:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't rely on the Zimmerit featured on the Saumur vehicles, as that is a museum addition, and the patterns are not necessarily accurate (their Jagdpanther 's pattern was particularly fanciful).
As for exact patterns, that appears to have been largely up to the factory crew assigned that day. Judging from photos (and the interview with Henshel's chief engineer published in "Tiger and Strumtiger in Detail"), the patterns on the side of Tiger II turrets was usually applied with a sheet metal comb, so the pattern might well be parallel to the bottom edge of the turret rather than the top. The turret front on the other hand, was usually patterned freehand using the trowel, as is evident in the 503rd Battalion's 233 photographed in Budapest shown in the thread above.

I've only found 2 pics on my HD that show the rear of the turret, and both show Zimmerit to follow the outer "vertical" side of the turret, as Catch22 indicated.

I've got my books still packed away so I can't check those for further pics.

2 pics isn't much, but it at least says, it was done that way in those instances.

BTW, the Bovington one is turret 104 right?
Catch-22
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I've only found 2 pics on my HD that show the rear of the turret, and both show Zimmerit to follow the outer "vertical" side of the turret, as Catch22 indicated.

I've got my books still packed away so I can't check those for further pics.

2 pics isn't much, but it at least says, it was done that way in those instances.

BTW, the Bovington one is turret 104 right?

Bovingtons p6b (not the Porsche) they started to display in 2006 is indeed 104 (SS 501st) captured August 1944 in France.
Never believe anything you read....
Most references state 'Knocked out near Beauvais by Sergeant Roberts of A Squadron, 23rd Hussars.',

whereas the British Army/Museum state

'On August 29 1944 it was in action with British Sherman tanks to the west of Magny-en-Vexin and after suffering track damage it left the road and limped into a beet field where it proceeded to shell a British-held farmhouse.

However, after the driver made a violent swing and damaged the final drive, the crew bailed out, set off charges in an attempt to destroy the tank before capture, and fled. French Resistance Fighters subsequently killed two of the crew.

Next upon the scene was a Sherman tank of A Squadron, 23rd Hussars, 11th Armoured Division and, on the principle of being safe rather than sorry, its commander, Sergeant Roberts, put a couple of rounds through the right side of the German tank to finish it off.'

which do you believe?

Strangely, although the zimmerit looks original (with battered sections, and completely bare areas) I have found a single reference suggesting that whilst in the British Armys care, the original zimmerit fell off, and was replaced with putty.
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 01:52 AM UTC
That zimmerit looks good enough for me. This one will find its way into my stash
Vermont6
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
Looks like a great kit, Dragon keeps turining them out. Can't wait to get my hands on this one.

_GOTOTOP