_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML - DX'07 Announcements
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:21 PM UTC
Dragon Models Ltd. have announced four new releases to coincide with the Dragon Expo ''07 show which is being held this week. Two are in 1/35th scale, the remainder in 1/72nd. The full report including a wide variety of images, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:36 PM UTC
Yes I do have a comment.

Why won't they do an M-4 Tractor enough of the German stuff must oh made everything Germany had.

And no U. S. M-4 Tractor.

Also how about some early M-109's, a good Sheridan etc..

Gees Glad they lost the war.

Okay thanks.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 11:57 PM UTC
http://www.hlj.com/product/HOB82407 ....do your preorder here ...
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:14 AM UTC
Not to be unsympathetic with you Jeff, but often we see modelers bemoan why DML/Tristar/Tamiya/AFV Club/Trumpeter/Tasca/Academy doesn't do (insert long sought after kit here) in 1/35 injection plastic.

I'd say if one steps back and looks at the releases and "extras" that some companies strive for and the list of phenomenal releases the last five years, and look honestly at our model stash, then we have little to complain about.

I'm not saying our voices as the modeling community shouldn't be raised. I think it actually works (M10 TD, Pz II, M18 GMC, new Pz IVs, new Stug IIIs, zimmerit, US and German halftracks -- friggin Dora railgun for gosh sakes!)

I think there's a difference in someone saying: "Wouldn't it be great if this appeared" versus "Why are the marketing guys at DML so dumb as not to see the value in releasing a T-28 US Heavy tank?"

Like the other poster said, once you get your Hobby Boss M4 HST, what's next? It's not about "Geez, I'm glad they lost the war" but geez, I gotta keep my company competitive to meet profit projections and keep shareholders happy -- whether it's german subjects or Battle Barbies.

Perspective, perspective, perspective.

I know for a fact that if NOT A SINGLE KIT IS RELEASED FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS, I'll have enough EXCELLENT kits in my stash to keep me happy until I shed this mortal coil.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:29 AM UTC
I dig that 250.

Thanks for the news Jim
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 12:58 AM UTC
I love the fact the DML reworks kits, corrects mistakes and generally updates things better than those other guys.

But is it just me, or is there not that much new in the 'new' 250?

Ok, new front tires.. some weld beads.. a tarp.

The engine is already out there as are the width poles and personal gear.

Are the magic tracks going to be that much better than the old ones?
I like the new sprocket look, but it's a pretty rtiny vehicle and most of that is covered by track anyway.
I'm not 100% sure but it does not look from the exploded view as if the rollers on the circumference of the drive sprocket are any larger than the too small ones on the orig kit.

So, I guess I'll let this one pass. I've got 3-4 250's in the stash, most with enough aftermarket already tossed in to equal or exceed this level of new detail.

When they take the gun from the 234/4 and repop THAT 250 kit , then I'm all in.

Mike
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not to be unsympathetic with you Jeff, but often we see modelers bemoan why DML/Tristar/Tamiya/AFV Club/Trumpeter/Tasca/Academy doesn't do (insert long sought after kit here) in 1/35 injection plastic.

I'd say if one steps back and looks at the releases and "extras" that some companies strive for and the list of phenomenal releases the last five years, and look honestly at our model stash, then we have little to complain about.

I'm not saying our voices as the modeling community shouldn't be raised. I think it actually works (M10 TD, Pz II, M18 GMC, new Pz IVs, new Stug IIIs, zimmerit, US and German halftracks -- friggin Dora railgun for gosh sakes!)

I think there's a difference in someone saying: "Wouldn't it be great if this appeared" versus "Why are the marketing guys at DML so dumb as not to see the value in releasing a T-28 US Heavy tank?"

Like the other poster said, once you get your Hobby Boss M4 HST, what's next? It's not about "Geez, I'm glad they lost the war" but geez, I gotta keep my company competitive to meet profit projections and keep shareholders happy -- whether it's german subjects or Battle Barbies.

Perspective, perspective, perspective.

One of the best summations i've seen in a long time....
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 01:45 AM UTC
That KT could be a real gem in my collection. The addition is great in my opinion.

With regards to what kits to make - well, Roy summed it up pretty good and I agree with him. It is all down to supply and demand.

Thanks for the update
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks for the announcement Jim!

Jeff, I understand where you are coming from. When I read "DML DX'07 Announcements" I was a bit dissapointed to only see an update of a kit I have already seen on the store shelves. Your post was exactly my first reaction!

Then, I remembered that I have bought 5 of DML's 251 kits (Which I LOVE!), and my stash holds numerous German, American, British and Russian AFVs. So, Roy...very good point! The only 'complaint' I have is that I don't have the $$ for my own Dora!

- Steve
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 08:46 PM UTC
Isn't everyone rather missing the point? The big news is that with The KT with Zimmerit, for the first time EVER (I'm not including Italaeri's attempts in the 70's), it is possible to actually build a late-war German tank kit OOB without the need for any AM, or smearing it with body putty. This is rather fantastic news for German modellers, especally since the Zimmerit looks pretty good in the pictures. If DML go on to do this for all their late war German stuff, they will definitely be the only game in town.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 04:45 AM UTC
The Italeri Kits of th Tiger I and Panther w/Zimmerite from the 1990's are very buildable from the box, IMNSHO. DML may do it better and make it easier and more accurate, but it has been done.

And remember guys...it is only the "Golden Years" if you happen to want to buy a 1/72 Submarine...or a 1/35 Dora...or 10 different SdKfz 250 or 251's. There is more to the world than WWII German Armor.

I understand that DML, Trumpeter, and the others are feeding their true base; the Asian market. They love to buy German WWII. Fine. I does not mean that i have to be happy with their choices.

And I find it hard to believe that they are going to make MORE profit off of a retooling of a decent kit into a slightly better kit with the 250 rather than investing in a new product that could be expanded. Or keep working on current runs...Where are the M3 halftracks?

Current Marketing Depts. are not offering kits I want to buy. I want to let you all know how that upsets me because I am so important.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:01 AM UTC
I am not totally happy with thier current releases, but I do like the fact they are putting extra detail into thier kits. If we are not happy we can always contact them and let them know. It is possible they even have somebody read our posts here.

I would love to see a better balance of all nations. Maybe it will happen one day.

jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Friday, August 24, 2007 - 05:48 AM UTC
First off let me say that I really like what Dragon/Cyberhobby have been doing the last couple years. They have really taken the hobby by storm, revolutionizing the way kits are made and sold. For anyone who a decade and a half ago thought Tamiya had it all right, well DML has "really" got it right.

Here's my gripe. I don't mind that they're coming up with all the German variants. It's good history and keeps alive maybe the most innovative military designers ever in the Germans from the 30's to 1945. I do though have a slight problem with them making so many "paper" or prototype models, some that never even saw production. There are so many other uncovered and under appreciated vehicles out there that saw combat and played large roles in history that get no respect. Take the M113 for instance. The AFV that revolutionized mechanized warfare and spurred a generation of types similiar to it. How is it that only 2 companies have mainly covered this vehicle? Are we not LONG overdue for a truely accurate and up to date 113, a mold thaty is not 30 years old?
Thats just a small example.

Like I said, I really like what DML has been doing. All I hope for is that at some point once past this phase they branch and really cover the other stuff that has been underappreciated from 1945 on.
fafhrd47
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 06:30 AM UTC
what about figures in their announcements did they have anything to say about them?
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 08:03 AM UTC
Manufacturers can't please everybody. They don't really need to. I to have enough kits in my stash to last for 10-15 years. I don't have to buy anything. Out of every 15 kits DML releases (this includes tanks, figures, airplanes) I will find 1 or 2 I really want. Sometimes I might get 2 or more of the same kit. I just purchased 3 of their Tiger I Late kits. I can complain that I am unhappy with their choice of subject matter, or their decision not to include an aluminum barrel, etc. But that doesn't matter because they don't expect me, or any other modeler to purchase every kit. What they want is to offer enough choice that I will purchase DML over Tamiya, and to make the kit better to inspire brand loyalty. Sure, I would like to see certain subjects released. And if I wait long enough, they probably will be. In the mean time, I have plenty to keep me happy, and my stash will probably continue to grow.
kevinb120
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,349 posts
Armorama: 1,267 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:03 AM UTC
I like the addition of the zim on the KT. Its one of those things though, like Magic/indy tracks, that once you start doing you own zim or a Cavalier set, you don't think about NEEDING it on the model already anymore or needing continuous tracks(although the new DS ones are pretty awesome too). But nothing's wrong when you have good tooling for a tank type to keep coming out with new versions.

I think they need to come out with premium versions of the tank killers, Hetzer, Jadgpanzer, and Jagdpanther though. They have updated running gear for the platforms, and with updated etch and a few retooled/cleaned parts it would be pretty easy to update 'em. Not to mention there would be quite the market for a definitive M10 kit.
junxter
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 - 10:56 AM UTC
Just a wild guess on the reason for the tendency of German subjects being favored by kit manufactures: could it be related to IP rights and licensing? i.e. do likes of DML and Tamiya have to get license from original manufacturer of the subjects of their kits? If so, and assuming that such license bears royalty, then no wonder they prefer German subjects, since, afterall, Nazi Germany lost, and is no longer. ... just a guess...
MacsTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 02:27 PM UTC
Actually equipment funded by the government is pretty much exempt from copyrights. However, a model company can sell a B-17 Flying Fortress, but they CAN'T sell a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress without permission.

I'd would like to see more modern stuff, but to be completely honest, I have enough to build for quite a while. I'd rather they take their time and release a few kits each year than rush two or three dozen in a single year. Supply and demand don't ya know!
 _GOTOTOP