_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Image Report - DML's D.A.K. Figures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 05:35 AM UTC
By means of an update, an image report on DML''s future figure set - DRA 6389 - German Afrika Korps Infantry, El Alamein 1942. The full story can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 06:34 AM UTC
Ola

Although this is not really a set you can use in every diorama 75% of the set shows some kind of tense action but I have to make a remark about the details... they are amazing. Looking at those pictures it is truely a rival of the resin figure industry.
Brilliant job.

Great news update.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 06:36 AM UTC
Looking at the photographs they look brilliant, really edging towards resin in the detail.

The MG34 also looks very finely detailed, hope its not just enhancement with the graphics program making all that detail pop out.

The pose of the guy with the rifle I think looks really good, very natural. I'd get the set just for him.

Great addition and I'm sure could be used in other theatres of war with some minor changes, such as Italy etc.

My only gripe is whilst the faces have excellent detail, they do look the same, not very individual, but Hornet etc. could easily change that.

Nice.

Alan
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 02:43 PM UTC
I am sorry, but there is NOW WAY IN THIS GREEN EARTH that those are photographs of the actual 1/35th scale figures!! NO WAY!!

They are either larger scale OR they are computer models, similar to what we are seeing on the new armor kit box art.

I am not saying they are bad figures, they look great... They just are not what we are supposed to believe they are .

Then again... I could be wrong.
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 04:31 PM UTC
They do indeed look excellent! Usually its not the detail thats bad about plastic figures but rather the share amount of parts and the lack of good fit of them.

These could indeed be the 150mm masters. From what I understand all DML figures are sculpted in 1/12th scale and then scaled down to 1/35th scale.

Either way, they look excellent and I am sure will be a popular set.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 08:56 PM UTC

"I am sorry, but there is NOW WAY IN THIS GREEN EARTH that those are photographs of the actual 1/35th scale figures!! NO WAY!!

They are either larger scale OR they are computer models, similar to what we are seeing on the new armor kit box art.

I am not saying they are bad figures, they look great... They just are not what we are supposed to believe they are ."

So what are we saying here.

That Dragon is intentionally misleading us into believing that these photographs represent the figures we will find in the box when we buy them.

That these photographs are not of figures made up from the kits parts.

That's what your post is implying, Dragon is are sending out deceptive images of the 1/35 scale figure products they are releasing ?

Knowing the sorts of technology Dragon and other kit makers are using in moulding techniques today I don't see how this level of detail is now not capable of being produced. They are putting holes in the ends of 1/35 scale machine guns for goodness sake, so what's stopping them producing this level of detail?

Alan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not saying they are bad figures, they look great... They just are not what we are supposed to believe they are

Obviously, i'm developing superhuman abilities with PhotoShop - I don't think we could get a new character for 'Heroes' with these powers but you never know...

Seriously though, no-one is trying to fool anyone. As they say in many places, the photos are simply a guide as to what to expect - don't take them as gospel.

When we post a review of the set, it'll be a production example. Whether these pics are of masters, life-size sculptures decorating the foyer of DML's headquarters or a production set I have no way of knowing.

Nor, probably, do the vast majority of people care either.

It's a simple indicator as to what to expect - no conspiracy, no attempt to fool you - nothing else...
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi Jim

Whilst I'm not of the same belief as Mark L /Shadowfax I do find your response somewhat at odds with your report.

I don't wish to be pedantic about this, and I certainly don't believe or imply you are in any way part of some masterplan to deceive the model buying public but your post does say "Now we can finish the story with some images of the set:"

This would imply to me that these images are of the set one would hope to make from the kit inside the box. Certainly the box cover and the border text detail around the images give the impression, as in the past, that "what you see is what you get"

I know that at some stage a full review will no doubt be forthcoming either out of the box showing sprue shots etc. and I supose this is what we should judge the set truly on but you know how once things like this are shown, distributed on the net becomes "gospel".

Already seen the same image om Track -link stating this is the set, no disclaimers from anyone.

No offence I hope, just pointing out how it comes across.

As I said in my original post I think they may have worked on image, such as the holes in gun barrel to make them show up more, not to decieve us. It is shiny plastic/paint , hard to photograph after all.

Looking forward to getting these at some stage - whatever they turn out like

Alan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This would imply to me that these images are of the set one would hope to make from the kit inside the box.

As to the set itself, much as I see the need for a new DAK set, I honestly wish that DML would start thinking more about animation...
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:32 PM UTC
It is hard to believe those are images of the actual kit. They look fantastic. As technology improves so does everything else. I still am amazed at the detail. WOW!

I can only assume every DAK modeler will have to have a set. I might get one as well.

alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:53 PM UTC

"I honestly wish that DML would start thinking more about animation"

I know what you're saying, I agree, using their technology and capabilities but maybe looking at how manufacturers, Masterbox, Miniart and Tank (okay I know Tank do resin not injection moulded) are approaching the poses etc.

To be fair they have done stuff in the past, Command post, Radio Operators, Wounded and Medical sets etc. It just seems to lack a little imagination to match the technical skills at the moment.

Alan
RayW
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 848 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hi There,

I generally don't build German subjects but I must admit this is one nice set, even if the detail does "soften" a bit in the actual production run it is still one of the best out there for plastic.

I may even buy the set just to build it and paint it to see how it turns out

Cheers

Ray
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As to the set itself, much as I see the need for a new DAK set, I honestly wish that DML would start thinking more about animation...

I agree. And another thing's imagination. One more pair of figures operating a machine gun. In earlier Gen2 sets there's been two almost identically posed MG teams, first on the first Gen2 set, desperate defense, and the second the wiking division set.
But that guy reloading his rifle looks good to me too.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC
Well, I took another look at those pictures... and I'm going to stand by my post.

You can call it whatever you want, but there is too much detail for those figures to be 1/35th scale. The barrel of the MG is a prime give away. Unless there is photo-etch in the kit, none of Dragon's resent releases have had that fine of detail - as good as they are.

I am more of the opinion that they are the computer images common on Dragon box art of late. I don't have an issue with that. I would hope computer design and manufacturing has finally hit made it to the scale model industry. Especially if you can scan a real life example and reproduce it in any scale you like, we all win.
Removed by original poster on 10/08/07 - 19:52:57 (GMT).
spooky6
Visit this Community
Sri Lanka
KitMaker: 2,174 posts
Armorama: 582 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 08, 2007 - 09:57 PM UTC
Most likely these are 3D scans of the master figures, so they are probably indicative of the actual figs. I have looked at a Gen2 fig (not from this set) with a magnifying glass and it matched up to the computer images on the pack.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 08:56 AM UTC
So, just back from Euro Militaire in Folkstone and in a showcase on the Dragon stand was these figures.

May well have even been the ones used in the photographs.

As I stated before there may have been some enhancement to show the holes in the barrrell exist etc. but I can happily say these figures look every bit as good and as detailed as the images shown here.

Closest to resin I've seen so far from injection mouldings.

Guess it's time for somebody to reassess their previous statement.

Great show by the way, fantastic level of modelling and painting skill. I'm sure they'll feature on this site and magazines very soon. Look out for the crashed train diorama..

Naturally spent too much at the trade stands.

In the diary for next year, going to start saving now !!

Alan
petros
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
excellent kit
hope for some more allied kits
petros
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2007 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for the news Jim. Actually planning an Africa dio so these may find their way in there.

Thanks again,
Shaun
Removed by original poster on 10/08/07 - 19:57:13 (GMT).
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:06 PM UTC
I thought some folks took this thread a little too seriously, or as a personal attack. It was not... I just hate deceptive advertising by ANY company. I like DML figures a lot. They are inexpensive and easy to 'Frankenstein' into other poses. With that said, they are by far the best injection molded figures I have ever seen.

I just want to get that out of the way for what is about to come next...

I figured I better put my money where my mouth is, so I bought the figures today and guess what... I WAS CORRECT!! The gun barrels are NOT EVEN BORED OUT!! I have to say, the figures are molded/sculpted beautifully, but the weapons look to be from an older kits (#6002 & 6003)

I will take pictures of the figures on the tree and assembled - no touch-up, just cut off the sprue and glued together. Stay tuned at http://picasaweb.google.com/lopicma/DAKFigures

Keep up the good work Jim.
cach7
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:39 PM UTC
Mark, i have to agree with you about the MG. Something is funky with the pic. Barrel looks like its touched up or something. With that said the Gen2 figs, i think are the best plastic out there. I think they even rival some resin figs. I have a couple of sets. My favorite is the 1st Luftwaffe Fied Division(6274.) The figures have very natural poses.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I figured I better put my money where my mouth is, so I bought the figures today and guess what... I WAS CORRECT!! The gun barrels are NOT EVEN BORED OUT!! I have to say, the figures are molded/sculpted beautifully, but the weapons look to be from an older kits (#6002 & 6003)

Now, going on past releases, I would have assumed that they would have added weaponry from the Gen II releases. It may well be that this ISN'T the case. Thanks for adding that Mark..
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:12 PM UTC
The figure kneeling and loading his rifle appears to be wearing gamaschen - IIRC, these weren't on issue to DAK...
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The figure kneeling and loading his rifle appears to be wearing gamaschen - IIRC, these weren't on issue to DAK...

It's not unusual to see DAK troops wearing "unofficial" kit. The gaiters were freely available...captured from the British! I've seen photos of DAK personnel wearing them, as well as German mountain boots & puttees. The figures are placed at El Alamein on the box, so they've been up 7 down the Desert a couple of times... Large amounts of British stores & equipment were captured @ Tobruk (as well as my late uncle!).
 _GOTOTOP