_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
T34-76 (1943). Colour and tracks?
Lluisrata
Visit this Community
Andorra
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:40 AM UTC
Dear colleagues,

In my long lasting process of re-discovering this hobby (after nearly 20 years outside...) sometimes I feel like a Martian... So many things have changed in moddelism during this time... So, sorry for my begginer questions...

Well, for sentimental reasons I decided to finish an old (and very bad/obsolete) version of Tamiya's T34-76 (1943) which I started 20 years ago... I bought a PE kit from Eduard Models and because I couldn't find Maquete tracks I bought the more expesive but more accurate Friu tracks just to improve this model.

I want to paint this model in winter camouflage, but first I painted all the tank with dark green, Humbrol Matt 91 with very disapointing results. I guess because I bought the paint in a shop where it had been for ages! The colour didn't spread uniformily and it had different tones... :-( I will repaint all the model with the Tamiya Enamel XF-61 Dark Green and then with white (not in all places) and use Mig powders.

Which colour can I use for painting a wood tool box?

And last but not least... how can I paint the tracks? First with old rust? and then gun metal?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:04 PM UTC
Good luck on your T-34. Winter cammo is one of the most difficult finishes to pull off. It is really hard to make a field-applied cammo job not look like a simple lousy paint job on the modeler's part !

The woden boxes that come in the Tamiya T-34 kit are actually 76mm ammo boxes and can be natural wood or dark green. The tracks - well, most guys use black or very dark brown as a base, then gunmetal to shwow wear and finally a heavy coat of mud or caked-on dirt if your vehicle is in winter conditions.

If you're getting back into the hobby please consider joining AMPS. It's a lot of fun, and if you go to the shows you'll get feedback from every judge who looks at your model, regardless of how well it does in the competition. That's a great way to improve fast.

Our main page is: http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/default.aspx
Listing of member-only discounts: http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/vendors.aspx
Join at:http://www.amps-armor.org/ampssite/membership.aspx

Danny Egan
President
AMPS
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
hi , in the factory the tracks were painted with a very thick tar like paint , semi gloss black , I would start with that as the base coat then rust them up on the areas that are worn , and add a dusting as a final colour
r , cheers ian
 _GOTOTOP