_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Marine M4A2 75(w) from DML
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:10 PM UTC
Dragon USA have just announced a US Marine''s M4A2 (w) 75 complete with wire grid hatch guards and wooden plank armor.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 05:16 PM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the update.

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC
Just checked and it's gonna be a bit of an unusual subject as most of these M4a2s would be later production with Dry Stowage...

The wooden armor etc. is going to be welcome though...
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 09:30 PM UTC
Be interested to know what the marking options are so we can work out if Dragon have fallen into the A2/A3 trap. Not that it really matters as some part swapping will sort things out, and more importantly we're getting tracks with EECs in DS. Which is nice

David
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

more importantly we're getting tracks with EECs in DS. Which is nice

I really wish they'd start marketing the tracks seperately
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And make ones that fit the Sherman V too

David
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 01:51 AM UTC
Reading the thread on ML, it looks like Dragon have dived headlong into the A2/A3 trap.

David
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Reading the thread on ML, it looks like Dragon have dived headlong into the A2/A3 trap.

David

BIG TIME!!! Steve Z has said on ML many times that he got those captions wrong for the 47 degree hulled Shermans on Iwo. His captions all say A2 but he said they should say A3. Nice for Dragon to break out an older book and rely on it for their next big project!

Rob
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

BIG TIME!!! Steve Z has said on ML many times that he got those captions wrong for the 47 degree hulled Shermans on Iwo. His captions all say A2 but he said they should say A3. Nice for Dragon to break out an older book and rely on it for their next big project!

Rob

How long before blogger Hiroshi hits the fan?

David
ltwilly
Visit this Community
Hunan, China / 简体
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 03:36 AM UTC
Wet stowage for big hatch M4A2(75)!? They must be CRAZY....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 04:07 AM UTC
Before we start going OTT, let's just wait for MORE details to be published. At the moment, they've only put up a line-drawing and given it the magic (W) on the designation. As these things are constantly changing, let's just hold fire until MORE information is available...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I couldn't agree more.

AL
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Before we start going OTT, let's just wait for MORE details to be published. At the moment, they've only put up a line-drawing and given it the magic (W) on the designation. As these things are constantly changing, let's just hold fire until MORE information is available...

So right you are Jim

After all, this isn't the first time the lizard has screwed up their Sherman stuff. I remember back a couple of years ago when the lizard's catalog said they were going to do a 1/72 M4A3(75)W for Normandy. Too bad there weren't any of that type during the time of D-Day! I think a few emails made them change it to a M4A1(75) which is what they released. Oh yeah, remember the original box art for 1/72 M4A3(76) kit #7271, you know, the one that showed the crew of "Cool Studs Inc #4" looking like they fell into a vat of bleach? They had to make a few changes to that one before some folks really nailed them for it!

Yeah, I'm sure this won't be the last time the lizard screws up something with one of their Shermans.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

David

Rob

How long before blogger Hiroshi hits the fan?

David

Yeah, I'd love to see how hiro-boy spins this one. Oh wait, I won't be able to see it as they banned me last December

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

*actual product may not be exactly as shown

The above quote is from Dragon USAs website. Pavel has said (on ML) that the W was added to differentiate it from the other DML M4A2s. So lets wait until we see photos of the actual kit before we hammer dragon too much. I suspect the kit designation will change from M4A2 (W) to "Late" M4A2.
Personally I'll probably pass this up as I have all the parts gathered up to make a Marine M4A2 Late and an M4A3 including the printapart resin wireguards from Dave Harper.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I'd love to see how hiro-boy spins this one. Oh wait, I won't be able to see it as they banned me last December

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures

Don't worry Pat Stansell will be sure to tell everyone
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

As we're talking Dragon Shermans, any news of the Firefly Ic Hybrid that was supposed to come out this year? I used the old version for an M4A1 Sherman Mk II Hybrid as it was due to be replaced

Do I need to start looking for the old kit again??

Cheers

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

any news of the Firefly Ic Hybrid that was supposed to come out this year?

It certainly won't be out THIS year and I have doubts as to whether they will actually do it all...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:03 PM UTC
Thanks Jim,

I thought it had more or less disappeared from the radar.

Al
Elad
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 269 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:10 PM UTC
presuming DML releases the kit as an M4A2(W), wouldnt a swap of the engine deck and rear exhaust turn this to an A3 (which was the main variant used from '43 onwards) ?
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 05:25 PM UTC
I am no fan of DML's behaviour or their treatment of customers, reviewers etc BUT I am a fan of their Shermans, they offered the first M4A4 variants, they offered the first M4A1 worth talking about. They then went on and offered M4A2's and a variety of M4A3 (only M4's to go guys).
I'll take their "stuff ups" anyday. Rarely is a kit without fault so I can live with wrong decals and welds etc. This looks to be a great release and I'll just substitute the M4A2 for an M4A3 and do the M4A2 as something else. The tracks will be great. PLEASE can we have set of these in the Quartermaster range. I'd suggest 4 to a box with:
T48
T48 w/eec
T51
T51 w/eec

Set 2
T51x2
T49
T62

Keep them coming DML and get cracking on the Firefly 1c thats 3 years overdue.
CHeers
Al
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

presuming DML releases the kit as an M4A2(W), wouldnt a swap of the engine deck and rear exhaust turn this to an A3 (which was the main variant used from '43 onwards) ?

You can still build it as a USMC 47degree glacis M4A2, as they started turning up on Saipan. The plank armour and grilles on the hatches won't be appropriate though. Looking through the Tanks Illustrated on USMC tanks threw up a couple of interesting options like the dozer tank on Saipan with 3 applique plates on the hull side.

Making an A3 would also mean changing the upper hull rear plate.

David
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:34 PM UTC
I think i'll stop doing Photo-Reports in the News Section - a single line-drawing seems to create more debate than 50 images...
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:08 PM UTC
Given the information that Pawel provided i am CERTAIN that this kit will be released with markings for an M4A3. Will that stop me buying one? NO! It will make a great M4A2 75 dry and the add on parts can be added to a M4A3 of your choice. I'm very happy to see more track options and really wish for seperate releases of these. They could give you a 5 link extension piece for M4A4's instead of a new run. So far we have t54, t49 and T54 w/eec, I'd love them to add T62, T41/51 and T48 on future kits.
I can't believe they have given up on the Hybrid Firefly, This could have been the basis of three or four good kits just by cross kitting the turrets they already have; or better yet an Allied 3-1 like the original release.
Maybe Tasca might beat them to the punch. I was hoping for a premium release of the M4A1 with the new turret and tracks plus a metal barrel and PE but looks like that was just another rumour. Look forward to whichever Shermans Next year brings.
Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was hoping for a premium release of the M4A1 with the new turret and tracks plus a metal barrel and PE but looks like that was just another rumour. Look forward to whichever Shermans Next year brings.
Al

i think (And I may be wrong about this) that Tasca and DML have an agreement not to step on each others toes so I think a rerelease of the DML M4A1 is unlikely.
I haven't given up on the Hybrid though.
 _GOTOTOP