_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
JSU-152 Tracks
Fledermaus
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 236 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 03:15 PM UTC
I need some clarification regarding the tracks for a WWII era JSU-152.

I purchased a set of Modelkasten workable tracks (SK-9) JS-II Stalin Type A, from RZM imports for my DML JSU-152 (Kit#6047).

The description of the item on their site indicates that they are the early solid tooth style JS-II track.

I received the tracks today and I am now confused as the label on the box says JS-II, III. This leads me to believe that they could possibly be a late/post war pattern. I compared them to the kit supplied tracks and they are a different pattern.

Modelkasten also produces set SK-14 which is the type B track. The RZM site indicates that this track is the later style open tooth pattern common on post WWII Stalins.

Did I purchase the correct tracks for a WWII JSU-152?

Thanks.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I need some clarification regarding the tracks for a WWII era JSU-152.

I purchased a set of Modelkasten workable tracks (SK-9) JS-II Stalin Type A, from RZM imports for my DML JSU-152 (Kit#6047).

The description of the item on their site indicates that they are the early solid tooth style JS-II track.

I received the tracks today and I am now confused as the label on the box says JS-II, III. This leads me to believe that they could possibly be a late/post war pattern. I compared them to the kit supplied tracks and they are a different pattern.

Modelkasten also produces set SK-14 which is the type B track. The RZM site indicates that this track is the later style open tooth pattern common on post WWII Stalins.

Did I purchase the correct tracks for a WWII JSU-152?

Thanks.

Both the track sets are appropriate for a wartime vehicle, though the Type B would be more common. Basically, the Type B alternates a full link (identical to the Type A links), with a split link (inner and outer halves, divided where the centerguide tooth would ordinarily be). After the war, the split links were discontinued, and later postwar tracks had different embossed patterns on the outer face. These turn up on some IS-2's preserved as exhibits and on the IS-3 and T-10 series.
Fledermaus
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 - 01:11 AM UTC
Gerald,

Thank you for your reply.

silver961
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi there,
According my references the Modelkasten tracks #SK-9 were very late type which were probably never used during WWII. I checked a lot of war-time photos IS-family vehicles from my quite extensive reference library and couldn't find any sings of those tracks. However those type of tracks were common on IS-2,IS-3 and ISU's after the war. The Modelkasten SK-14 represented type of tracks which were without a doubt the most common type used during WWII. There were at least two more type of tracks one of them is still presented on KV-85 at Sankt-Petersburg, Russia and on early IS-2 at Kbely museum, Czech Republic.

Regards,
Yuri
Fledermaus
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC
Yuri,

Thank you for researching this.

I have returned the SK-9 track set to RZM in exchange for a set of SK-14.

I appreciate your help.

_GOTOTOP