_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Stug (with Zimm) Announced from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:13 AM UTC
Dragon Models have just sent us images of their latest Stug in 1/35th scale. Images of the new model - DRA6454: 10.5cm Sturmhaubitze 42 (Ausf. G) with Zimmerit, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:25 AM UTC
Looks great! Another one I will have to add to the ever growing stash.

Thanks for the update
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:18 AM UTC
FINALLY!! A wish come true! I have a few non-zimm StuG III kits and now I can quit sweating out how to do Zimmerit!!

Perfect timing.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
Cool. If it looks half as good as the King Tiger zimm this will be a must have.
Shaun
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:56 AM UTC
Now this looks interesting. I really didn't like the look of the Tiger Zimm, but this appears better to me.
beepboop
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:24 AM UTC
A nice idea - I'll probably get one. I agree that doing these "proper" vehicles instead of the bizarre "one-off" prototypes is preferable. I have no interest in Sturer Emils or other "they-only-built-five-of-them" types!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:27 AM UTC
Looks good in the CADs at least, ought to be interesting to see how it looks on the actual kit. The waffle pattern is one that puts off more people than any other I think, should be very popular...and they chose the StuH as the first one, likely means the StuG isn't too far behind?
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:33 AM UTC
What really sold me is how they "applied" it to the lower hull above the road wheels. Really looks good from what they're showing us!

I do wonder if the StuGs with the side schurzen skirts still had the same zimm there too? That's something I don't think was covered in any of the books I have.
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:37 AM UTC
A must have. It's got zimm. and a 105 mm,great. Anyone think its based on the smart kit??
postbusf
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 08:59 AM UTC
MIAG factory did apply waffel pattern zimmerit, that's a fact.
But,.... this kit has MAN factory fenders.
MAN factory stugs had an other type of zimm pattern.
Great kit though.
Gonna buy this one fore sure.

Frank.
marcb
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,244 posts
Armorama: 1,226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:55 AM UTC
I think I'll pass on this one on account of the already mentioned zimm/ fender supporet combo mistake. Too bad...
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What really sold me is how they "applied" it to the lower hull above the road wheels. Really looks good from what they're showing us!

I do wonder if the StuGs with the side schurzen skirts still had the same zimm there too? That's something I don't think was covered in any of the books I have.

Yes the zim would still be there on schurzen equipped StuG/StuHs. If it had zimmerit on the rest of the vehicle, it would be present on the lower hull as well. Reference photos in various publications show schurzen-rail equipped vehicles with zimmerit on the lower hull, pretty common feature.
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:44 AM UTC
Looks great .. only thing will there be a few parts that are not stamped with Zimmerit .... I would like to have a few options not to look like the next guys build

Alexanderk
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:53 AM UTC
Thanks Bill for that information! I thought so but wasn't sure.

For anyone reading this, it is so much easier to change fenders than to do zimmerit, especially this pattern.
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For anyone reading this, it is so much easier to change fenders than to do zimmerit, especially this pattern.

I dont know which fenders are what but Im sure there will be aftermarket parts..Also they may throw in a second set of fenders.. Like Cyber did with the deep wading Stug G

AlexanderK
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
I believe it's the fender supports that are not correct, not the entire fenders.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 09:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes the zim would still be there on schurzen equipped StuG/StuHs.

I can actually (believe it or not ) confirm this. In the Stug Gs which Hitler supplied to Spain (75s), contemporary photos show them with Zimmerit. Those preserved examples which are in various Spanish military bases, still show the remains of Zimm on the lower hull. These were also schurzen-equipped as (although it wasn't used), all these vehicles carry the mounting brackets. Pretty but curious nevertheless...
AndreasLarka
Visit this Community
Finland
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 - 05:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Actually it was Alkett - the only producer of StuHs - that applied the Waffle Zimmerit.

Quoted Text

The fenders are OK for an Alkett StuH, but the fendersupports showed in the pics are of the MIAG -kind...

The biggest problem with the kit is that it seems like Dragon basically only has slapped some Zimmerit on their early kit. And that of course is wrong.
The rear deck should be interlocked-welded (like on the Tamiya StuG III G early -kit) and so should the lower rear hull be. The fendersupports should for this timeframe be of the higher pressed kind (also like on the Tamiya kit).

I sincerely hope that this is only a pre-view and that the production model is corrected.
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 257 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi jim its good to have the stug as i was getting a little bit tired of all the Tigers
that have been released looking forward to getting it
yours cyril.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
I'm really looking forward to the release of this kit! I pre-ordered one from Dragon USA and can't wait to check it out!
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 08:55 AM UTC
Check this out. Smells like an excuse.

Quoted Text

"The fun of modeling"

An early Stug just doesn't become a later variant with interlocked-style weldings by just slapping on some zimmerit.

Quoted Text

"Open platforms with numerous modeling possibilities"

That's great, but doesn't justify neglected research, IMHO. True, not everyone will be nit-picking about wrong style weldings or such, but that's worse than omitting the engine screens from their Initial Tiger, "because they couldn't do curved PE at the time".

I'll certainly be buying a kit of or two of a correct later variant Stug III with the correct zimmerit to build as Finnish "Sturmis", but when they do their and bother to get the basics right.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 06:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually it was Alkett - the only producer of StuHs - that applied the Waffle Zimmerit.

Quoted Text

The fenders are OK for an Alkett StuH, but the fendersupports showed in the pics are of the MIAG -kind...

The biggest problem with the kit is that it seems like Dragon basically only has slapped some Zimmerit on their early kit. And that of course is wrong.
The rear deck should be interlocked-welded (like on the Tamiya StuG III G early -kit) and so should the lower rear hull be. The fendersupports should for this timeframe be of the higher pressed kind (also like on the Tamiya kit).

I sincerely hope that this is only a pre-view and that the production model is corrected.

I need some clarification here. It has always been my understanding that there were two different variations of the fender supports, early and late, with the later version having been modified for additional strenght.

Do you have any pictures, diagrams or anything you can share with us to support the Alkett/MIAG difference? I can't find any corroborating evidence, so if you have something I'd really appreciate it.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 06:43 AM UTC
Ok, I think we can put the fender bracket controversy to rest now. The fender supports included in this kit come in two parts. The plastic tube part and then a separate PE spine . Its just a simple matter of not installing the PE spine to make the fender support accurate for this vehicle.

SgtDinkyduck
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 03:06 PM UTC
Darn it, lol If I would have only waited a couple years, I have a Dragon stuG that I have sitting on my shelf with all the extras (full interior, and photo etch zimm) just waiting to be built. Guess that means I just need to sneak another one under my wifes nose lol
Asmenoth
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 274 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2008 - 08:56 AM UTC
I will have to charge my camera to take pics, but in the Sturmgeschutz book by Ryton Pub may be of use. I found three different brackets. One like the one in the kit, a square rod without the traingle brace and a low flatish round one. All on different Stug III G's, with and without the waffle pattern. One pic looks like it's from a factory and the others are wartime and a museum piece. I will post pics a bit later.

_GOTOTOP