_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Photos: DML's New Soviet Infantry
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:45 AM UTC
Dragon Models Limited, have just sent us images of their latest Gen II figure set in 1/35th scale - DRA 6376 - Soviet Guards Infantry 1944-45. This really looks as if it''s going to be a set with a LOT of potential. The full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:11 AM UTC
Gen 2 Soviet weapons at last!

After reading Torok and Bekasi's books on Soviet militaria I am now a sceptic about the reinforcing patches on the knees....

David
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Thanks posting these.

Tell me, as this was hotly "debated" on a Dragon figure release before, are these images posted to be taken as the actual figures or a computer generated model of what they may look like.

I'd say they were computer generated models and in time hopefully you'll get images from Dragon of the actual plastic so we can judge detail .

I'd say as good as there other Gen2 stuff, which is excellent quality even if not to everybody's liking as regards animation and pose.

Cheers for these anyway.

Alan
RonV
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:48 AM UTC
Interesting subject you've brought up David. I've just read what Mr. Bekasi said suggesting that the knee reinforcement was more common after 1945. No doubt he will know more about the subject than I ever will, however period photos clearly show the knee reinforcing in evidence from 1941 until 1945. I will agree that the non reinforced trousers were more common but often it is difficult to determine one way or another.

It may be of interest to note that enlisted mens' trousers also came with belt loops. (Again refering to Mr. Bekasi's text).

Perhaps a clear lesson that one shouldn't rely on a single reference? (Insert smiley face here! My doing so yesterday ended up in four deleted attempts to repond).

Best regards,
Ron Volstad

Geezer34
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:23 PM UTC
A good photographic reference of real uniforms is "Red Army Uniforms of World War II," by Shalito, Savchenkov & Mollo, published by Windrow & Greene -their Europa Militaria No. 14. Most of the pictures are of officers and special uniforms, dress etc.
However all the pictures of infantry or other combat arms "other ranks" show the knee patches. They are dated either '41-'42 or '43.
The pictures are in color of current wearers of old uniforms. In the back there are pictures of various items of personal equipment.
Price was 9.95 Euro several years ago.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC
Hi

Here is a site which may be of interest with regard to referencing Russian uniforms.

I can't vouch for its accuracy, and I can't read Russian, but for getting an idea of the uniforms for figure painting etc. I would not thought it too bad a resource ....especially as the information is free to view.

I'm sure there is a lot more valuable information on the site, but as I said I can't read Russian.

http://www.rkka.ru/uniform/files/i_arm.htm

Alan
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting subject you've brought up David. I've just read what Mr. Bekasi said suggesting that the knee reinforcement was more common after 1945. No doubt he will know more about the subject than I ever will, however period photos clearly show the knee reinforcing in evidence from 1941 until 1945. I will agree that the non reinforced trousers were more common but often it is difficult to determine one way or another.

Best regards,
Ron Volstad

It sent me off on a search as well, which proved equally inconclusive - one side-issue it did turn up was just how poor photo reproduction used to be in books. I spent ages looking through the old A&AP Uniforms Illustrated volume by Steve Zaloga and it was hard to make out anything through the murk. How things have changed since 1985.

David
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
Some progress/update on these with an image shot from the recent show at Shizuoko.

Looks like they've made it to the plastic stage.

http://www.geocities.jp/hobby_show_album/japan/shizuoka2008/0431.htm

Alan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm not desperately convinced with this set... The LMG magazine case is grossly overscale. and the rucksacks look as if they are full of sand...

The rest of the set doesn't look to bad about from these niggles:

NickZour
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
WOW!!NOT Germans!! !!!!!!!I like the variety of weapons and the soldier who drinks the coniak!!
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Monday, May 19, 2008 - 02:08 PM UTC
can't wait to get my hands on this kit.
 _GOTOTOP