_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Surprise Announcement PzII from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:36 AM UTC
DML have just made a rather surprising announcement in the shape of DRA6432 - Pz II Ausf C. mit Zusatzpanzer (Smart Kit). No details yet, but the CAD images can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC
Dragon starts to get a bit boring and annoying...
It is one thing to cook up a CAD drawing, it is another to actually produce a kit!

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dragon starts to get a bit boring and annoying...
It is one thing to cook up a CAD drawing, it is another to actually produce a kit!

Personally, I don't like the CADs very much, but I don't see this as either Boring or Annoying. I've never seen an instance either when DML get to the 'CAD stage' and NOT produce a kit...
postbusf
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 08:07 AM UTC
Oh man, this is great news!!!
I wanted to build this version for a long time and now there it is.

Fantastic to see that we have got all the major panzer II's in 1:35 scale.
(Tamiya's panzer II A-C and panzer II C and F from DML)

This version of the panzer II has been photographed a lot from North Africa to Russia, and i think that there will be no problem to give this kit a good home on many diorama's.

Frank.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 09:56 AM UTC
Love them or hate them, its good to see so many new vehicles coming out.
The panzer II, for some unknown reason, never really appealed to me .... Love the Pzr´s I, III & IV .... and can´t explain that either.
One thing I do like immediatly is the artwork. Very dramatic.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 10:01 AM UTC
Good news indeed! I get pretty stoked whenever they announce a new kit, except when it's the odd ball stuff. It's nice to see the Pz.Kpfw. II getting some more attention.
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:13 AM UTC
shouldn't we expect this one after the announcement of the early Pz II from Tamiya?
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:23 AM UTC
I am just finishing a Pz. I Smart Kit, and it has been a very pleasant build. I will probably end up getting one of these.

I like the smart kits because they really do offer a lot in the box. Even though the interiors are not as accurate as some of the resin offerings, they look good through open hatches, and offer more value than costly resin interiors. I, for one will anxiously await this one at the LHS.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 11:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's nice to see the Pz.Kpfw. II getting some more attention.

I, too, am a big fan of the earlier AFV's. I believe Dragon will be into my pocket for a couple of these.

Mike

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

shouldn't we expect this one after the announcement of the early Pz II from Tamiya?

Thanks, I could have sworn I heard that news too, but to be totally honest, the way new kits are coming out, I freely admit to sometimes walking around, not being able to keep track of them all these days. Maybe something to do with old age, and over worked.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 01:56 PM UTC
I wondered if DML wouldn't go head-to-head with Tamiya on this one. Their choice of subject isn't quite a direct competitor but it's close. I wonder if CH will come out with one of the earlier models with the rounded nose and sans cupola on the turret?
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 02:51 PM UTC
Considering we've only had the ancient Tamiya and more recent Alan/DML kits of the Pz.Kpfw. II, I'm happy to see that the major manufacturers are revisting the early war Panzers.
Hopefully the manufacturers will consider expanding their scope beyond the 1941 to 1945+ time period.
The A13 is coming from Bronco but how about it's variant the Covenantor and what about British vehicles such as the Mk.II, III, IV & VI light tanks and the A9, A10 cruisers.
The VM/Alan/DML's Valentines and Bishop are in need of replacement and, considering how famous it became in France and North Africa, a new "Queen of the Battlefield" Matilda Mk.II is a long time overdue.
The various BT's, T-26's, T-28, T-35, T-30/40's and assorted armoured cars in the Soviet arsenal need to have new, updated kits produced.
Tamiya's Char B1 bis and Renault UE carrier could use some additional stable mates like the Somua 35R, Renault 35R, FCM36, Lorraine carrier and their derivatives.
In essence, bring 'em on !!!
Cheers guys

jjumbo
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 03:56 PM UTC
Like Frank(Plasticbattle), I think the MkII artwork is pretty killer. I'd have to get 1 or 2 of these to do both NA and Barbarossa scenes! If we're in a wishing fever, I'd like to see an injected Panzer IC kit ala LinkModel's old kit, an A10 cruiser,Matilda, and a return of the MkIIJ as well. Not asking too much am I?
Cheers!
vtrockin
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 04:29 PM UTC
Well that was quick...it's already up on dragonusaonline.com and says it's shipping the week of June 1st. Quickest news to release I've seen in a while.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well that was quick...it's already up on dragonusaonline.com and says it's shipping the week of June 1st. Quickest news to release I've seen in a while.

It is isn't it? Less than a week from poster to shipping....
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 02:44 AM UTC
I think this is good news. Was looking for a ausf.C lately and concluded that there were only old kits of this version, being the old DML/Alan kit, reboxed by some other vendors.

New kit is welcome, all together pobably cheaper than buying an old Pz II C and upgrading it with fruils/modelkasten, PE etc..

Martin
cfsfido
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:29 AM UTC
Got to have this kit, so it looks like I will be force on an other bread and water diet; it's a champagne taste and a beer budget kind of thing. While on the subject, can anyone shed some light on why the German switched to the Christie suspension on the D/E models and then switched back to leaf springs on the F and J.

Fido
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 09:41 PM UTC
Excellent news. An early Pz. II has been missing in the market for some time.

Thanks for the update
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You don't suppose that this was supposed to be one of Dragon's "Surprise" releases?? And since Tamiya announced they were doing one, that it possibly took Dragon by surprise and forced them to tip their hand in announcing theirs??? Just a theory mind you!
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 05:47 AM UTC
I'm really happy to hear that early Panzer IIs will be available now.

I am going to wait a while though and see if tristar releases one...
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 07:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You don't suppose that this was supposed to be one of Dragon's "Surprise" releases?? And since Tamiya announced they were doing one, that it possibly took Dragon by surprise and forced them to tip their hand in announcing theirs??? Just a theory mind you!

No, shipping next week means that DML has had this in development for the past year.
Nobody can scream "DML spoiler!" on this one.
bdpug
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 01:58 PM UTC
no mention of any correction to the leaf spring/ suspension assembly
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

no mention of any correction to the leaf spring/ suspension assembly

It will also be interesting to see if the many fit problems of the Ausf. F kit have been addressed.

bdpug
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 - 04:22 PM UTC
...from Dragon's web site: "Last year, Cyber Hobby released a 1/35 scale kit of a Pz.Kpfw.II Ausf. F (Item No. 6263), and this proved to be a hugely popular subject. Cyber Hobby is now following it with an earlier variant in the Panzer II family – an Ausf.C."

Is there a way to know how many units sold? I don't believe them. There has been maybe 5 build logs. Maybe two or three of those actually finished the kit.

Last year Dragon bragged about the research they had put into the kit, even highlighting the all new bumper stops that they discovered were different than the Marder's. . They even said how easy it would have been to just give us the Marder bumper stops as it would save them money! Yet they give us a totally compromised leaf spring-suspension assembly!

I have always loved the Panzer II. I am thankful to Dragon for releasing the kit. But more and more I am really being turned off by the actual company and their marketing. It seems the more they brag about a kit the more problems that kit has. You would think they would have learned a little humility after the Panzer 4 circus.

I will buy the kit for sure but i am really waiting for Tristar to get in the Panzer II game. That would be an answer to prayer.
FLiPSiDE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 75 posts
Armorama: 72 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2008 - 02:57 PM UTC
Does anybody know if this is going to have the inaccurate suspension issues as is the case with the previous cyber hobby release of the Panzer II F? Or will this new kit have it fixed? As the reference I have (looking at the George Bradford 1:35 plans) appears that both the Ausf C and Ausf F have the same suspension configuration. I'd really like to pick up this kit so I'm curious if anyone knows the specifics on this?

Quoted Text

From dragonusaonline.com: The kit utilizes high-quality components from the preceding Ausf.F kit, but it has many brand new parts.

That comment has me worried
 _GOTOTOP