_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Dragon M16 Halftrack
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Dragon have published the poster for their M16 Halftrack.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:08 AM UTC
No mention of the worst error of their M2 kit (which I assume this is based on): the armored body should have slotted screw heads, not rivet heads. I assume they also did not correct the jerry can mounts. Not that I wouldn't buy the kit as the first error is just too large a fix that I'd just ignore it and the other is a quick fix (especially with either Eduard's or Voyager's PE set). Still, it would be great if Dragon made the fixes!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:09 AM UTC
Thanks Pat,
It looks good and getting a gunner and driver is a bonus, especially from DML.
Guess it's time to put the old Tamiya kit out to pasture !!
Cheers

jjumbo
vanize
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
oh, i might actually have to give up my anti-dragon stance now... dang it!

i do love a good AA vehicle!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 03:44 PM UTC
[quote]Thanks Pat,
It looks good and getting a gunner and driver is a bonus, especially from DML.
Guess it's time to put the old Tamiya kit out to pasture !!
Cheers

Why should one put a perfectly good kit out to pasture just because a new one comes out? I have a Tamiya one in my stash and I will build it one day soon. Dragon one will cost a small fortune I will bet! Tamiya plus PE if REALLY necessary is still lots cheaper than the Dragon one..
lucer105
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 04:02 PM UTC
I am not interested on M16, but according to DML's custom, maybe the M5 will be released in future. Actually I really want to look how DML's M5 will like.
miaonowitzki
Visit this Community
Beijing, China / 简体
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 05:09 PM UTC
I have to say I become interested in M2 half track series little by little and this M16 is attractive enough. I will probably buy one if I have enough money
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why should one put a perfectly good kit out to pasture just because a new one comes out? I have a Tamiya one in my stash and I will build it one day soon. Dragon one will cost a small fortune I will bet! Tamiya plus PE if REALLY necessary is still lots cheaper than the Dragon one..

Hey Warren,
Don't get me wrong, I like Tamiya's M16 and have built a coupIe and still have one in my stash.
I will probably still build it but the kit is over 30 years old.
The M3A2 it's originally based on was first issued in 1975 according to the date on the sprues.
While it was a great kit in it's day, a new kit is very much welcome.
Despite it's 1970's origins, the Tamiya kit still costs a pretty penny here in Canada, about $35 MSRP.
When you include the cost of PE, replacement tracks, suspension and wheels required to bring it up to date, a new DML kit will still end up being cheaper.
Cheers

jjumbo
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 07:58 PM UTC
Thanks Pat

Great effort on Dragon to release the m16
With a crew ,Dragon has been listening to the modellers
The little refinements of the windscreen wipers and mud flaps in photetch ,nice touch

I will be getting this one .
Does this open the gate for the spw haltrack with the 75mm????
or will we see an M15???
So many possibilities so very little time

Thank you

markhall
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
hopefully trumpeter will release the halftracks it aannounce a year or two ago
CDK
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 339 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am not interested on M16, but according to DML's custom, maybe the M5 will be released in future. Actually I really want to look how DML's M5 will like.

The M5, M5A1 and M9A1, while sharing the basic concept/design are completely different 'animals'. They are International Harvester made and actually have more differences than similarities. These vehicles would require a lot of new sprues as they actually share much less that one might think with the White/Diamond T/ Autocar vehicles.

Quoted Text

Great effort on Dragon to release the m16
With a crew ,Dragon has been listening to the modellers
The little refinements of the windscreen wipers and mud flaps in photetch ,nice touch

I wouldn't call it a crew, someone needs to load the gun. Of course someone will say I'm just complaining to hear myself complain but I'm not. I simply would have traded the driver figure for a loader at least.

Quoted Text

I will be getting this one .
Does this open the gate for the spw haltrack with the 75mm????
or will we see an M15???

I will be getting one myself.

The gate was already opened really, aside from the frame and cab, the M16 shares nothing in common with M3 based Gun Motor Carriage, other than the longer length of the crew compartment over the shorter M2, so another new set of sprues will be needed. The M15 could already be done as well, it was basically a flat bed with the turret basket mounted on it. Other than the I.H. lend lease vehicles mentioned above, the gate is wide open for all the variants.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The M5, M5A1 and M9A1, while sharing the basic concept/design are completely different 'animals'.

I think he's referring to the M5 Tank shown on the Box art.
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think he's referring to the M5 Tank shown on the Box art.

Gotcha.

Sorry, my eyes look right past the whole "if it's on the box art is it an upcoming release" question.

I've been waiting on that 250 ammo carrier half track and trailer found on that old Stug box art that was announced years ago...

My apologies Lu Yuan.

warlock109
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 160 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC
I've got to have one too. I've built the M2, and I have two M2's and an M3 still in the boxes. I have the Tameya kit also. Maybe I'll do a side by side build. I have most of the aftermarket items for the Tamiya kit, I might as well build it. Just my $.02 on the front tires. I have a friend who works full time for a private collector of 1 -1 scale armor. Thay have 7 restored half tracks. I showed him the M2 I was working to get his input on what needed to be done to correct the kit. There were only a few minor things (other than the missing slotted bolts). We walked over an looked at the front tires on the one that was in the shop just being finished. He pointed out that there are several different tires that came on the vehicle. The one there had "combat tires" on it ( it was molded into the side of the tire). There were no bulges in them because of the stiff side walls. He took a tire air pressure gage and showed me there was no air in the tire.
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hmmm...M16 Photo Detail CD anyone?

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 08:46 AM UTC
I hope this leads DML (or Tamiya) to produce the 75mm armed M-3 used in North Africa and the Pacific. I have the CMD one on a Tamiya chassis. Nice kit for the time, but they could really improve on it.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2008 - 09:55 PM UTC
Going (completely) with Lamont's comments, i'll also add a couple of my own. Don't expect an Int`l Harvester vehicle anytime soon - I doubt it would make any economic sense to redo (virtually) ALL the sprues. I'n happy enough at the M16, but I would have preferred the M3. Now, the M15 would be a REAL welcome addition
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 06:33 AM UTC
Anyone notice the similarities in box-art of the DML 1/35 and Trumpeter 1/16 kits?

Oow, and here's hoping for the SdKfz 7/1 Flakvierling to be coming soon. It's also got a quad AA-gun and is a halftrack so it's kinda on topic
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 12:50 PM UTC
It looks like a future purchase to me.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 - 03:16 PM UTC
According to Steve Zaloga who rec'd a pre-production kit in EARLY 2007, he said the delay in the M16's release was due to lack of info on the radio placement. Now that the research has emerged, DML have put out the kit. Kudos to them! Steve also has his kit built up and posted over on ML.
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 03:49 PM UTC
According to the Dragon USA site, we are looking at a September 2008 release.
http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRA6381

Personally, it will be too long a a wait. However, it should be just in time as I am wrapping up my M4 Mortar Carrier.

Mark Lopiccola aka. "Shadowfax"
www.lopiccola.com/ArtWork/
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Though DML may have tipped off future releases on boxart in the past, it is not being done these days, (at least not intentionally). That comes from Ron Volstad, who has commented on this on more than one occasion.

The M16 looks to be nicely done, I may have to pick one of these up.

Mike
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 - 03:00 PM UTC
This is a nice-looking kit. But instead of yet another American WW2 halftrack, I would have liked to see something different for a change. An IDF,SLA or Lebanese army halftrack (I have heard some are still in service even today), or an ARVN one from the Vietnam War, for example.
CDK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 - 02:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a nice-looking kit. But instead of yet another American WW2 halftrack, I would have liked to see something different for a change. An IDF,SLA or Lebanese army halftrack (I have heard some are still in service even today), or an ARVN one from the Vietnam War, for example.

Yet another ?

Do you have any idea as to how many American half tracks are still missing from the pile ? At least now you're starting to get decent base kits to build one of those other vehicles that you mentioned from.

Please DML, more American half tracks.
 _GOTOTOP