_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Masterbox: YOUR Feedback Needed
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 10:46 PM UTC
Once again, more images of WIPs from Masterbox Ltd. This time though, we''ve been asked for some feedback if you think they are commercially-viable projects or not. So, in essence, what do YOU think? The image report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

thomokiwi
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 438 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC
I think it is an excellent idea. The more types of figures in this scale opens up more options for Dio's and conversions. I am all for different ranges and era's in 1/35.
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:09 PM UTC

Not really being a WW2 or modern era person I would definitely be interested in more coverage from different eras. Single figures that I buy are quite expensive so sets at a more affordable price would be most welcome.

Vic
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:27 PM UTC
I think it's an excellent idea.
Looking at the prices of a few metal 54mm figures lately, and going into sticker shock, it's good to see someone willing to venture into areas other than WW2 and modern, and attempt to bring more affordable plastic figure sets to the market for those with thinner wallets.
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 28, 2008 - 11:38 PM UTC
I agree with the others that it is a good idea to see nicely detailed figures from other era's than ww1 to present in plastic in 1/35 scale. It makes figure painting more accessible.

Jelger
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 12:06 AM UTC
Most definitely a good idea!

My consensus falls with the previous statements, as with more choices of new, exciting, subjects that haven't been covered previously (MBLtd.'s specialty, thanks Alex! ), the more building ideas that can be generated for fresh, new dio scenes.

Commercially-viable? Well, from a salesman's point of view, I would have to say a hearty YES to these subject offerings! It only makes sense that these will sell, especially to experienced modelers who have been there, done that, with current figure offerings on the market...Keep them coming, Masterbox!!

Cheers,
~Mark
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
its great that manufactures are looking at different subjects such as ww1 i like it
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:13 AM UTC
Well, just because Historical Figures have NEVER (really) been done in injection-moulded styrene doesn't mean that they can't be..

We do have to put aside the sentiment for a moment, i'm not entirely sure that commercially they are all that viable...
Galeno
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
I must say : YES,YES,YES
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:38 AM UTC
I must say is a good idea, but designed as minidioramas as with the ruso-german and japanese-usa sets. With a reasonable price they would be much better than Historex 1/32 historical figures.
mciszewicz
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:49 AM UTC
Yes, they will sell. Good historical figures, apart from pricey white metal 54 mm stuff, are, well, impossible to find. There are many people, I'd wager, with wallets not thick enough for metal AND a major interest in, say, Napoleonics. That even small vignettes depicting battles of the era will look quite stunning, we can all agree.

In essence, sign me up for a copy. Even I, a staunch modern armor fanatic, will buy them.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 02:53 AM UTC
I think that's a great idea. Victorian era troops and Napoloenic ones would be most welcome. Actually, if they started coming out with medieval ones I'd snap those up as well.

Matt
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 03:22 AM UTC
I agree. I would be very interested in Victorian and WWI figures.

The test shots look great!
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 03:43 AM UTC
A great idea - all the time they are brining out easily adapatable and active poses i'll be buying them, and hoping one day to do justice to them with my painting.

Andy
Hostage4
Visit this Community
Pyrenees-Atlantiques, France
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
I like those figures but as a buyer I would rather take WWI and WWII subjects, and overall not so common armies or units: French, Greek, Italian, Soviet asian troops, USA artillery ...
But thank you MB
Hodson
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 04:56 AM UTC
I have the ICM franco-prussian figures and really like them.The facial expressions, poses and detail are great. I have been hoping to get some First Nations figures but I find it difficult to justify spending $30+ on one metal figure, $60+ for a mounted figure.

Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We do have to put aside the sentiment for a moment, i'm not entirely sure that commercially they are all that viable...

Very true but unless a manufacturer tries it we may never know. I think it could do well as there is a lot of interest in the more historical figure. To do a four figure historical piece at the moment would cost about £15 per figure which is way too much for a lot of us but a set for about a tenner could open up a whole new world

Vic
kristenkf
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 05:44 AM UTC
Oh most definitely! This track would open the way to an incredibly wide (and affordable) range figures. Till now everything other than WW2 has been metal or resin, maybe help bring more people into figure/diorama world!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very true but unless a manufacturer tries it we may never know. I think it could do well as there is a lot of interest in the more historical figure. To do a four figure historical piece at the moment would cost about £15 per figure which is way too much for a lot of us but a set for about a tenner could open up a whole new world

Yeah, that works for me as well I think the possibility of having something available outside one's normal area of interest would be a hell of a plus for many as well...
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:13 AM UTC
Masterbox has proven that they produce quality figures,and with price of resin and metal figures these days, I think these would be BIG BIG sellers. I would certainly buy the first two examples without hesitation.
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:15 AM UTC
There's definitely potential sales if Masterbox go down the 'Diorama in a box' route of putting several interacting figures together.
It would open up other historical periods to modellers who are put off by the high prices of metal and resin figures.
Also, styrene figures are so easy to convert by swapping parts or by minor surgery with a knife and some putty.
There are some great opportunities for models in areas not really covered before. How about some Napoleonic artillery complete with crews.
American Civil War, English Civil War, Medieval figures with seige equipment, Romans, Celts, Viking raiding parties, a Viking longboat and crew, Wild West 7th Cavalry, Wagon Train with attacking Indians....I could go on...
What might be interesting is the effect that these kind of releases might have on the other manufacturers...I could easily see how popular Wild West figures could become and might spur on someone like Trumpeter into creating a Western Locomotive kit in the style of their Kreigslocomotive.
Uruk-Hai
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 472 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC
I think that there could be a great market for this as the price should be around half of what the metal and resin figures is sold at.

Why cant Masterbox do a set with just hands for modellers that sculpt, convert or detail figures. I think they should sell very well.

Shoes/boots and Hats/helmet from different popular eras could be next along with weapons. Not just WWII and post WWII.

Cheers
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
Personally I would say... YES! For all the reasons mentioned above.

Although I've read many times on figure painter's sites (like timelines) that diehard figure painters don't like injection molded figures because of fit problems and all the filling and sanding they'd have to do just to get the figure ready for painting.

So, I don't know...

Hisham
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 09:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Although I've read many times on figure painter's sites (like timelines) that diehard figure painters don't like injection molded figures because of fit problems and all the filling and sanding they'd have to do just to get the figure ready for painting.

Hisham

Well, those people can just keep shelling out big bucks for resin and metal! The rest of us will be spending less and getting more!
iamheaminot
Visit this Community
Invercargill, New Zealand
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Friday, August 29, 2008 - 10:24 AM UTC
Well MB what could one say Great idea.
The only thing that I would say is - please be aware of the lead in time after advising the general public about a new item as if it is too long, the model making public are a fickle lot and other manufactures can copy/steal your idea. Perhaps the bonus is that on a site such as Armorama etc. Mr Joe Average does not frequent sites or forums and some that do, do so on an infrequent basis. A general statement I know however from my experience that seems or appears to be the case.That is gained from a long term of being involved in plastic modelling and over the counter stuff after working for a number of years in model shops and speaking to interested others.
Not all 1/35th figures are created equal and MB yours are a cut above the rest.
As for me - probably buy 1/2 dozen plus of the hussar. I can just see the Hussar being converted into WW1 or WW2 Polish Hussars etc. What great potential they would be.
Perhaps conversion kits of weapons, hemets etc would be a bonus i.e. French adrian helmet, French Napoleonic bell top shako or chapska etc.
MB more please.
By the way I have Helmet, Airfix, RPM, ICM, Historex etc etc in 1/30, 1/32 and 1/35 and no, they are not all in the same diorama or scene. Plastic rules
Go MB
Rod
 _GOTOTOP