_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML's M4a1 - Detail Update
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 09:13 PM UTC
I''ve just updated the report on DRA6447 - El Alamein Sherman (Smart Kit) and have included the Company-published details of the new kit. The updated story can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:24 PM UTC
Looks good.

Lucky I waited to build one of those Pink ones.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2008 - 11:42 PM UTC
Fine Molds also include plastic pieces as formers for PE parts in their kits. It's still a good idea though for annoying shapes like Sherman light guards.

BTW the habit of removing one leaf of the commander's hatch continued into the Sicily campaign.

David
Tamiyaforever
Visit this Community
Jaen, Spain / España
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 07:43 AM UTC
Finally there is photo-etched for the tools. Thanks Dragon.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 09:00 PM UTC
Well bless my one-piece idlers!
Some welcome additions, although calling their suspension system 'realistically reproduced' is a bit of a stretch if the bogey arms still don't 'operate' independently...
The lifting eye detail is great, as are the tail-lights if the images are to be perceived as accurate. I hope they aren't in that 'clear' plastic...
PE tie-downs are a nice touch and score points in my book. (Assuming there was ever a competition between companies )
So what is the latest word on the accuracy of the direct vision slots? They are a fair bit different to another companies' version...
Brad *
*(Trying to get his own special nickname )

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 26, 2008 - 09:16 PM UTC
Demonstrating how damned confusing the CAD images are, I have to express a few doubts as to the 'step' which seems to be between the transmission and the front glacis. Now, if actual images were available, I wouldn't bring this up...

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2008 - 12:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Demonstrating how damned confusing the CAD images are, I have to express a few doubts as to the 'step' which seems to be between the transmission and the front glacis.

The step does seem exaggerated compared to this battered US Army M4A1

David
spladapuss
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 01:37 PM UTC
With most retail outlets here in the U.S. asking around $50 (Great Models - $50.35; e-Hobbyland - $46.99), I think I'll pass. After all, Dragon's Tiger I Initial Production (No. 6252) cost me $21.95 in 2002; adjusted for inflation, that works out to $26.42 in 2008 (http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl). There is little to convince me that the latest Dragon's kits should cost an additional $20 beyond adjustments for inflation, even in today's economy. Sorry for the rant; I'm just concerned that kit manufacturers and their respective retailers are squeezing a bit too hard for some of us to remain faithful to the hobby.

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:00 PM UTC
John, yes, I understand where you're coming from on this, but it isn't exclusively the fault of the manufacturers - the Importers and distributors are sending the prices up more than the producers. In the middle of this are the retailers. I'm afraid, (even if I had one) economically, I find it difficult to support the LHS' as I once did and my CC details are liable to go to Hong Kong or Japan....
 _GOTOTOP