_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML: What's Coming in 1/35th Scale
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:18 AM UTC
Dragon Models have just published some images which indicate quite clearly where they''re going with their future releases. The ''sparse'' on detail Report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hmm, I'm afraid for me, it's just another case of panzer, panzer, sherman, panzer, sherman, panzer... oh gun motor carriage.

Don't let me get you down though, if this is your stuff, enjoy.

Chas
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, I'm afraid for me, it's just another case of panzer, panzer, sherman, panzer, sherman, panzer... oh gun motor carrier.

The company makes its bread & butter with Axis, but that's a fair knock on them. What's good to see is a REALISTIC assessment of what they can get out and when, as opposed to blowing smoke up our #$@es with announcements like the Sd.Kfz. 7 back in the late Spring. There was NO WAY they were going to get that kit out by the target date, yet I know a number of folks here put off purchasing the Trump version of that kit. The Tiger I (Late) with Zimmerit is another that has been 'aborning for months and months.

Good work, Jim. Keep us informed of this. The tightening economy is making me rethink some acquisition plans, so I want to be careful about parcelling out my cash for my stash.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 04:55 AM UTC
Hopefully we finally see that Tiger I with Zimm
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tightening economy is making me rethink some acquisition plans, so I want to be careful about parcelling out my cash for my stash.

Completely agree, Bill. Same here, very carefully observing the landscape and picking my 'targets' before shelling out the $$. They all seem like pretty good subjects. I just hope it doesn't take an eternity for them to actually come out ...

Rob
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:06 AM UTC
The majority of the vehicles listed have a lot of logic attached to them - particularly the Tiger I with Zimm. Hoever, I really wonder about releasing an M3 variant BEFORE the basic vehicle is released.

As Bill pointed out - the Sd. Kfz7 is notable by its absence. STILL waiting?
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:08 AM UTC
[quote]Hmm, I'm afraid for me, it's just another case of panzer, panzer, sherman, panzer, sherman, panzer... oh gun motor carriage.[quote] what makes you say that Chas?

i have nerver bought a dragon smart kit or premium edition because of the cost im not the richest of people becasue im a teenager but i willl get one now !

Martyn
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 05:57 AM UTC
JIm,
The Panther G and Tiger I with zim will be popular. Lots of people are put off either buying the zim or applying it "free hand", so having it already ready done is a huge bonus. The Sherman will give modelers a choice between the DML or Tasca kits. The Sig33 is welcomed and I have always like the overloaded look of the poor little beastie.

Now the M3 Motor Gun Carriage, that is interesting choice but it does make sense. The US Army, Marines and Commonwealth forces all used the vehicle. Commonwealth units in Italy used them and these units even brought some from Italy to NWE when they transferred theaters .

Darryl
jvazquez
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:28 AM UTC
Will it have those beautiful "bulged wheels"??

Sorry I had to.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:45 AM UTC
I was going to ask as well lol. Will they fix the "round" heads to slotted as well?

Darryl
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:51 AM UTC
There are times when it's incredibly tempting to hit the 'Editorialize' button and to hell with the consequnces (Blogging-men apart). However, in this case, the temptation was resisted.

It's a curious change in policy from DML. The announced releases are, IMO, 'solid' and predictable. That DOEN'T mean they're bad - highlights, as far as appeal goes are undoubtedly the decision to contine with 'Zimmeritizing' future releases such as the Tiger and Panther, continuing with the PzI variants and the logical step (although there are a LOT of similarities) to do the M4a1 in a U.S. scheme.

It'd be easy to find fault with all (or most) of the releases and although IMO it's a competent release list but it's significant with what's missing - NOT what's present.

The Sd Kfz 7? Coming from the scandalous knocking campaign orchestrated against Trumpeter, just WHERE is it? Modern modelers have been overlooked also, nor is there any sign of releases such as the Pershing.

The worst of this 'campaign' is 'Hear the Dragon ROAR!' - now that is just really Naff....
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:55 AM UTC
'Hear the Dragon ROAR!' squeak......... Thanks Jim for all your hard work and for not hitting that edit button lol.

Darryl
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 06:59 AM UTC
I just picked up some supplies from Great Models and noticed my pre-order for the Tiger I with Zimmerit is dated January....

As to the Sd.Kfz. 7, as one who has built and reviewed the Trump model, all I can say is: don't wait for the DML version if you really want to build this vehicle. The Trumpeter model is excellent, and its faults (which I pointed out, especially in the build log) are far outweighed by its excellence.

I intend to purchase and build the Dragon version when it comes out. But I would not wait for a kit that hasn't even reached CAD stage unless it was a low priority build (like my first T-34 for me).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:06 AM UTC
There's another aspect to all this, which makes me rather happy. People haven't been nasty or hyper-critical about these announcements, rather the reaction has been pretty sober and considered. Shows the maturity of THIS site when we don't get 'Yee-Hah!' reactions whenever DML announces something...

Meanwhile if I could direct you ladies and gentlemen towards the VERY interesting releases announced by Mig Productions this morning. The world doesn't begin and end with three letters...
Removed by original poster on 10/13/08 - 18:12:18 (GMT).
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was going to ask as well lol. Will they fix the "round" heads to slotted as well?

Darryl

Steve Zaloga on ML stated that he's had a pre-production one in his possession for a while now. He said that DML did correct the bolt details and some other features. Nice!

He said his model will be done shortly. Can't wait to see it!

Jim: as for putting out the M16 MGMC and the M3 GMC before the M3 Half track -- it follows the trend of companies 'releasing more obscure versions before the "standard" -- hoping to nab the impatient impulsive buyers:

AFV Club RAAC Centurion before IDF or NATO versions
Hobby Boss M4 HST (90mm AA hauler) before M4 HST (155mm/8" howitzer prime mover)
DML Marder III gas version before production variant

and many other examples
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:12 AM UTC
Pleasing everyone all the time is impossible, as for me I see 3 solid kits in that list that will end up on my bench. And I expect them to be released shortly since most of the sprues will come from their previous catalogue, with 2 of the platforms (as far as I know) being very 'workable' and enjoyable kits.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 07:58 AM UTC
The Grille H has appeal for me as I'd been hanging on to the old Kirin kit as the only game in town but hadn't really invested much else towards bringing it up to speed. Having bashed my own Bison-I a couple of months ago, it figures that they would release a new kit of one and I'm sure it will have a broad appeal, just like the Panzerjager I. I'm glad to see DML continuing to develop and expand the Pz I and II lines. The IV-D with the schurzen feels a lot like a teaser for the H or J that we all know is lurking in the wings for an eventual chance on stage.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:11 AM UTC
the Panther was a natural, I'm just surprised it took them this long to do it.
It still leaves the way open to more zimm patterns for the G as well.

I'll deplete my Cavalier and Atak stocks before I jump onto this one. It's not sure which will prove slower , my build rate on the backlog of panthers or their release schedule.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Interesting that neither the Panther or the Tiger have Magic Tracks....

Could this be a trend?
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
I have to admit I'm taking a fancy toward the M3 half-track with 75mm, just have thing for American Half-tracks at the moment ( I would like to see some figure for them though:D )

cheers

Keith
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

For me the M3 75mm is interesting, as they were used by British ands Commonwealth troops so it's one I'll be following. The DV option for the American market makes sense, although they were piped at the post (or beaten by a mile) by Tasca and the Mk II DV, currently in the post I hope.

The German armour with zimmer will be welcome although it's of no particular interest to me, but I know a lot of folks will look forward to the kits.

There are too many other interesting things coming along from Bronco and AFV and others to get really excited about the selection, but at least folks know what to expect which is always a good thing.

Al

Pak_40
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 281 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Thanks Jim,

I saw the Dragon website, love the late Hummel and the upgraded Pz IVD. The zum Panzers looks good, as does the early Grille. Thank you for telling people.

Chris- obsessed German builder and collector of dust covered boxes.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 08:47 AM UTC
I really like the DS crumpled bins on the Panther-G, a very very innovative addition to this kit. Might just be a minor thing, but big thumbs up for such a great addition. Seeing as how most Panthers had their bins battered, an in-box solution is very nice.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 - 09:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the DS crumpled bins on the Panther-G, a very very innovative addition to this kit. Might just be a minor thing, but big thumbs up for such a great addition. Seeing as how most Panthers had their bins battered, an in-box solution is very nice.

I would like to see more kit makers include a few spare parts for obvious dents and accidents. I am learning ways to mangle styrene and make it look like mangled metal, but some things just are harder to do.
 _GOTOTOP