_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML's Late Tiger With Zimmerit
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 10:38 PM UTC
Just posted an update on the story we ran the other day on DRA 6383 - Tiger I Late Production with Zimmerit. Delivery date has been listed as November this year. Meanwhile details and edited images can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC
This looks to be nice!

Thanks for the extra info and pics, Jim!

Ron
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:15 AM UTC
What is it about the late Tiger-E that makes it look so much better than the earlier ones? Is it the steel wheels?

But anyway, a very welcome kit, as any late E needs the Zimmerit coating.

Just hoping for a DML SturmTiger with this chassis. Or also "mid" production Tiger. Those were also plenty with Zimmerit.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:34 AM UTC
How about the BergeTiger with the Tiger I chassis ? there was one very old Italeri kit.. hard to find.

Damn.. my stash looks like a Zoo.. full of Tigers and Panthers
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 03:00 AM UTC
This one could really tempt me actually. At the moment i'm looking for more OOB builds and I don't imagine this will need that much in the way of AM...
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the link,very nice,looking foward to add this one to King Tiger and Panther D with Zimm
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is it about the late Tiger-E that makes it look so much better than the earlier ones? Is it the steel wheels?

For me it's the cast cupola, with or without the steel wheels. Even if it's only a few inches/centimeters lower I just think it looks better.

Mike
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:27 AM UTC
Very interesting: no Magic Tracks....
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 04:58 AM UTC
The delivery date is for November this year,but does that mean Europe or America Jim?
I cant wait to get my hands on one of these tigers.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:00 AM UTC
I'll be getting one. Looks great.
Abydos
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 11:34 AM UTC
looks good, i may get one also. i was hoping for a mid-production to come out, theres still time !
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 05:03 PM UTC
"The delivery date is for November this year,but does that mean Europe or America Jim?
"

Hello Nick,

well, I am not Jim, perhaps my answer might help you.

My local store here in Germany, which is a very reliable one, announces the date when this Tiger does come in with November 28th.

Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 03:23 AM UTC
I wonder to what extent this will pretty much reduce their other (non-Zimmed) Late Tiger E (6406) to "lame duck" status.

Having a 6406 still unbuilt (and needing AM Zimmerit) in the stash makes me wish that I'd had a crystal ball when I bought it

- Steve
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder to what extent this will pretty much reduce their other (non-Zimmed) Late Tiger E (6406) to "lame duck" status.

- Steve

It might for some, but I'd rather have the non-zimmed version myself. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority but I'd rather do my own zimm or use the resin A.M. stuff if I choose. Then my tank will not have the exact same zimm job as every other person building it. Then there are the issues of having the on vehicle equipment sitting on top of the zim instead of in it, simulating battle damage, and the really tough one, if you want to model one of the Tigers with the larger zimm pattern on the turret you're out of luck. So personally I'm glad I still have a couple of the older kits in the stash.

Mike
Jupiterblitz
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 05:11 AM UTC
" I'm sure I'm probably in the minority"

I belong to that minority too.

Self-applied Zimmerit has got its advantages, so if I want to build a Tiger II (P) I prefer DML's "premium-kit" instead of its latest Zim-version.
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 05:28 AM UTC
If the 6406 were built as the Final, would it still need Zim?
Jupiterblitz
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 - 06:11 AM UTC
"If the 6406 were built as the Final, would it still need Zim?"

Yes.

Production of Tiger-tanks ended in July 1944 whilst all tanks still had to be coated with Zimmerit until September 1944.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:49 AM UTC
Why can't Dragon stop giving us these horrible DS tracks and go back to the Magic Tracks. Or at the very least do what Trumpter does and include both? Some of us hate the robber band tracks. Yes I meant to say Robber.
Warning
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 08:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why can't Dragon stop giving us these horrible DS tracks and go back to the Magic Tracks. Or at the very least do what Trumpter does and include both? Some of us hate the robber band tracks. Yes I meant to say Robber.

I'll assume that that was a rhetorical question?

Some people, including myself, like rubber band tracks and love the DS ones, but feel free to vote with your wallet and buy or not as you see fit. There are many other Tigers out there. Likewise there are various aftermarket tracks available so you have a lot of choices, depending on your preference and wallet.

With zim included and DS tracks I see this more as a beginners kit as those who are more skilled will probably dislike the pre-zim and bands and go for other kits with aftermarket options. It's nice that all those who feel trepidation at the thought of indy tracks and zim paste have a way out of their gloom.

Enjoy.
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 07:18 AM UTC
I like indy links far better than the rubber band garbage . I will definitely get this kit, but will get some AM individual links.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Why can't Dragon stop giving us these horrible DS tracks and go back to the Magic Tracks.

The advantage of having the zimmerit is off-set by taking away the indy tracks IMO .... its cheaper to buy AM zimmerit than it is to buy tracks by friul or modelkasten. Now with Dragon introducing a new line of aftermarket tracks, its only a matter of time to they do what AFV Club do and sell the tracks seperatly as well. This is not a good development in my opinion.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2008 - 03:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Why can't Dragon stop giving us these horrible DS tracks and go back to the Magic Tracks.

The advantage of having the zimmerit is off-set by taking away the indy tracks IMO .... its cheaper to buy AM zimmerit than it is to buy tracks by friul or modelkasten. Now with Dragon introducing a new line of aftermarket tracks, its only a matter of time to they do what AFV Club do and sell the tracks separately as well. This is not a good development in my opinion.

Dragon's Magic tracks for the Tiger I have solid guide centerguide teeth, apparently due to limitations on the their slide mold machines, so they must be replaced in any event, unless you plan to clog the suspension with mud (of course, following that route, you might as well use the DS tracks).
Speaking of AFV Club, their individual link track links for Tigers look just as good as Model Kasten, have only two large parts per link instead of five (and no teeny pins to insert), and cost half as much.
jimz66
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,165 posts
Armorama: 1,105 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 04:00 AM UTC
It must just be me, but I can't stand the way the DS tracks bend and move around before I tried to assemble them. I am certainly not about to put them on any model I do.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 06:47 AM UTC
Guys...Gerald is right ...When the tiger came out with the individual tracks everyone booed and hissed at Dragon for not doing the holes in the teeth ,so everyone went out and bought aftermarket tracks anyways ...I find these new tracks quite acceptable for most modellers and I for one will never use their Magic tracks on any kit anyways so if I want to the indi way I'll be spending the money on Friuls anyways and for the quicker builds these new DS tracks look just fine and once glued down to the top of the wheels look the part just fine. Stop complaining ,we'll never be happy

Rick
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 08:58 AM UTC
I got the Panther D with zimm and the DS tracks that come with it are pretty nicely made,they are definitly not your rubber band tracks from the 80's.they are well made and detailed .I know friuls are the ultimate,but I look foward to giving these a try.
 _GOTOTOP