_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Legend: M2a3 & M60 Update Sets
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 12:48 AM UTC
Legend Productions have just announced two interesting looking sets for the M2a3 & M60 in 1/35th scale. the full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 01:17 AM UTC
The M2A3 set looks pretty nice. It looks like it is intended for use on the older Tamiya M2A2 kit though, not thier M2A2 ODS. I say this because many of the parts, like the armor plates on the TOW loader's hatch on the rear roof, the added lip on the engine compartment door, fluted barrel, and new exhuast housing are all included in their ODS kit. I guess you could use it on any of the M2A2 kits though (Tamiya's M2A2 and M2A2 ODS, and Academy's M2A2 OIF) , you would just have some pieces left over. Either way, looks nice. I may have to get it.
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 01:53 AM UTC
I gotta ask cuz I don't know; what is the big box/mast thing behind the commander's hatch?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I gotta ask cuz I don't know; what is the big box/mast thing behind the commander's hatch?

It is the Commander's Independant Viewer, a high-speed sight for the commander. It allows the commander to find/track targets independantly of the gunner, then pass these targets to the gunner to engage. It is similar to the CITV on the M1A2 Abrams.

They are also showing a new Bradley ERA set as well. Looks nice too.

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 02:30 AM UTC
I am a big fan of Legend products. Lucky Models usually ships them for free. Having said that I am going to order the M-60 kit. However, I would never anticipate putting all those items on a tank. There are only four guys in there and that is two tons of crap on the outside of the display vehicle. (Yes, I am well aware of the American Soldier's desire for comfort items) So, it would seem to me, you could use the contents for several tanks....there are numerous items (tarps, covers, etc) that are rather generic and can be used for a variety of models. I like the storage sets.
My two cents
DJ
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 02:39 AM UTC
DJ,
That built up demo tank looked like your old ride in 2-10 before ya'll converted to those M1s that were "gently" used by 3ID back during the CW... The amont of junk would be a hazard to the crew, if that vehicle was to roll out of the gate like that...

Actually the rucks sacks and duffle bags look pretty good, and Legends is pretty good at giving you plenty of gear to hang on your model. The molding does look crisper than what is found in their M60A3/M1A1 accessory sets.

John
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ,
That built up demo tank looked like your old ride in 2-10 before ya'll converted to those M1s that were "gently" used by 3ID back during the CW... The amont of junk would be a hazard to the crew, if that vehicle was to roll out of the gate like that...

Actually the rucks sacks and duffle bags look pretty good, and Legends is pretty good at giving you plenty of gear to hang on your model. The molding does look crisper than what is found in their M60A3/M1A1 accessory sets.

John

John-- I will order the kit once Lucky Models displays it. I plan on making an M60A3, chew up the road wheels, make it absolutely filthy, load all the junk found in this AM kit and placing bumper markings for D-66 on her. You were the only clowns in the battalion who would carry all of that junk and then tell me it was all done according to the mysteriously missing load plan..."honest, sir, I know it was here just a minute ago."
Stay safe
DJ
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 05:32 AM UTC
Hi guys.
Could i ask a question,when is the M60 set suppose to be in?late 1980 or earlier?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys.
Could i ask a question,when is the M60 set suppose to be in?late 1980 or earlier?

Nick-- we had the M60A3 in the Active Army past 1988.......I would imagine you can use the stowage set for just about any time up to the mid 1990's. Someone chime in here and let me know when the Guard/Reserve turned there A3s in. I recently saw a photo of a Lebanese Army outpost and they certainly were using them.
DJ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would imagine you can use the stowage set for just about any time up to the mid 1990's.

Actually, with the exception of the M60 roadwheels and track, most of the gear can still be used today. Tent bags, duffle bags, etc. are all the same today. The MRE boxes on the turret are modern ones as well. The water jugs and ammo boxes are the same as well.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 09:16 AM UTC

Well done Legend

By the look of it the gun mantlet issue has been corrected and the boxes on the front of the mantlet.

aaaagh!!!!!
now I have to make 2 vehicles LOL

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2008 - 04:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gino, got this a couple weeks ago. It's very good, makes the Verlinden look even worse that it is.

I have the Blast ERA set. It looks to be pretty close to it. The Legend set also looks to have a few extra pieces to bring the older M2A2 up to standards (engine hatch lip and hinge points from the swim skirt). It is a lot cheaper than the Blast set too. Looks great.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 01:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi guys.

If you're talking about the one in the pics, it's a U.S.M.C. M60A1 w/ ERA from ODS in `91. But as stated above, some of the stowage could be used about anytime before or after that time frame

Quoted Text

They are also showing a new Bradley ERA set as well. Looks nice too.

Gino, got this a couple weeks ago. It's very good, makes the Verlinden look even worse that it is.

Gary-- do you know when the Marines phased out the M60A1s? I would imagine it was right after Gulf War I. Seems I recall, the Army provided them with 4 battalions plus spares of M1A2s.
thanks
DJ
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...do you know when the Marines phased out the M60A1s? I would imagine it was right after Gulf War I. Seems I recall, the Army provided them with 4 battalions plus spares of M1A2s.

Yes, they were actually in the process of fielding M1A1 HCs when ODS broke out. The Army loaned them 1 Bn of M1A1s along with a Bn of M60A3 TTS. The Army also gave them an Armor BDE, 1st "Tiger" BDE, 2 AD "Hell on Wheels" (a.k.a. Patton's Own) for direct support. After ODS, the USMC transitioned fully to M1A1 HC tanks.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, November 07, 2008 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...do you know when the Marines phased out the M60A1s? I would imagine it was right after Gulf War I. Seems I recall, the Army provided them with 4 battalions plus spares of M1A2s.

Yes, they were actually in the process of fielding M1A1 HCs when ODS broke out. The Army loaned them 1 Bn of M1A1s along with a Bn of M60A3 TTS. The Army also gave them an Armor BDE, 1st "Tiger" BDE, 2 AD "Hell on Wheels" (a.k.a. Patton's Own) for direct support. After ODS, the USMC transitioned fully to M1A1 HC tanks.

Gino--thank you for your response. Keep safe over there.
DJ
 _GOTOTOP