Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
A Plea to Plastic Model Manufacturers
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 06:16 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Good news if you build in 1/76 scale. A QLT and a QLD.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

The good news is that Jim has indicated that we may get at least 1 new British Truck in 1/35 scale next year. That's a 100% improvement on last. year.

Al
goldnova72
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
Maybe someone should post photos of captured Brit softskins in German markings.Lots of 8th Army sand coloured trucks with black and white crosses. That might get the attention of one or two of the bigger manufacturers. (as we all know , German sells..ie ; .MA Dingo)
Too bad Scamell never built a one of a kind tow truck with twin 50mm exhaust pipes and infared driving lights ,extra wide battle tires and zimm coated fenders , we'ld have one in no time at all, lol Merry Xmas Jim
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:12 AM UTC
Someone was listening although unfortunately in the wargaming scale of 1/76th. AIRFIX are offering two Bedford Q variants (based on the Aiirfield sets?) in this years range. I wish the new masters at Airfix would look at doing Brit Stuff in 35th like they are for Aircraft in 48th. Softskins tooled by Bronco or Trumpeter would be great.
We can always hope
Al
Graywolfgang
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 303 posts
Armorama: 251 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:18 PM UTC
I second everyone’s thought. As of now there are 11,593 viewers and 202 replies. I grant you I have checked in twice, first time posting. I see Bronco is releasing a Triumph 3HW with MP crew. As for a Saladin, complain to Tamiya. They had one back in the 70’s, I had one. They also some other other things out that disappeared real quick. Tamiya has or did have
At one time Japan only kits. I would love to more soft skins period………

Wolf
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 10:18 PM UTC
Hi Wolf, Jim and Al,

Yes, pity the Airfix kits are 1/76. Don't they do the DUKW in 1/35? They could take a lead from Roden and do 1/35 vehicles to go with their 1/32 Aircraft.

I still have their 1/35 scale 15cwt truck and 6pdr to build, a great pity they don't have more 1/35 vehicle kits. Like many Airfix was where I started as a lad and it would be nice to see them in the 1/35 market.

Thanks for joining in the call and Happy Christmas to you all.

Al
somtec
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 421 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi
Read this thread some time ago but WW2 British trucks were outside of my interest at the time but the urge to build a couple of DAK flack trucks has recently struck so besides the usual German trucks one of these would be right up my street.

Along with a longer wheelbase version.
Can be built using a combination of kit parts but from what ive read the Tamiya front end isnt quite right in size/shape and buying 2or3 kits to build one truck is out of my budget at the moment.

Anyways Merry Xmas hope youve all had some nice pressies.
Peter
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 07:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like Noodle Lady type rumors... Fish and Chips Lady maybe?

Personally, I find that comment bordering on the offensive. NOTHING we publish here on the News Section is anything other than confirmed information from the manufacturers. I've also been kept very much in the loop by a number of manufacturers and, after receiving requests, have contributed plans, measurements and photos of a number of interesting subjects.

Obviously, i'm NOT going to be giving out any confidential lists, but, suffice to say, thre ARE plans afoot...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 11:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Sounds like Noodle Lady type rumors... Fish and Chips Lady maybe?

Personally, I find that comment bordering on the offensive. NOTHING we publish here on the News Section is anything other than confirmed information from the manufacturers. I've also been kept very much in the loop by a number of manufacturers and, after receiving requests, have contributed plans, measurements and photos of a number of interesting subjects.

Obviously, i'm NOT going to be giving out any confidential lists, but, suffice to say, thre ARE plans afoot...

Hi Jim,

I do like the plural sound of that

Al
morrisc8
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks Jim,
I could not give out the manufacturers name as it was confidential for the QLB.
I am new to this forum and i would not put out rumours,i own two Army ww2 Veh and the club sometimes has a manufacture come and see the trucks for photos + measurments ect from a bike to a tank. I am hopeing to do a book on captured british veh [from the BEF 1940] and used by the German forces. I have about 300 original photos up to now that were taken then.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 11:33 PM UTC
Hi Keith,

Perfectly understandable. It may well be that it is the realisation that captured British Trucks would be popular with Axis modellers that prompts the bigger companies to do some British Softskins .

It's a pity Airfix choose to do them in 1/76 scale but understandable for the war gaming market. Still things are looking up and it will only take one of the larger manufacturers to get the ball rolling then quite often the others join in. Time will tell.

Cheers and good luck with the book.

Al
sapper159
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 12:58 AM UTC
I agree with this campaign, I've already posted on a couple of other threads about what I would like to see on the allied/commonwealth side of plastic/styrene side of modelling. But I would like to see much more, on the equipment list, as well. Things like the collapsable boats the the R.Engineers used or their water purification equipment , mines equipment, I think it's MB or Miniart that are releasing Sappers leisurely mine clearing, so how about some doing mine laying! Does anybody make a non-resin scammel wrecker? How about a crane for helping the sappers build the bailey bridges that are on the market? Does anybody make RAF vehicles such as refuellers or fire tenders or bomb tractors.
In reality though any release of non axis repeats or sherman or russian repeats would be welcome additions..... wouldn't they
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 03:01 PM UTC
Alan you have my support for British soft skins as you can never have enough, but I'd also like to see the following wheeled armour:
Morris LRC,
Canadian Otter,
Canadian GM.C15TA,
Deacon,
Fordston,
AEC Mk.I - III,
Humber A/C and
Guy A/C

And the following tracked transports
Loyd Carrier - different versions,
Windsor carrier,
Scout Carrier
all in plastic.

Luciano
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2010 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts, there certainly is scope for lots of other stuff as well. The recent release of the Tilly and RR Armoured Cars are a great plus.

A Loyd in plastic, yip that would be cool as would any of the other Armoured Cars currently not available and an early Bren Carrier to go with the early armour that's coming out too.

Thanks again for the support.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well things are looking up.

Just announced another Tilly this time by Tamiya to follow on form the recent SKP release and for the armoured car folks well the 2nd of Roden Rolls Royce Armoured Cars has come out. too.

Interestingly for the Allies was the Citroen Traction Avant, which althougn not British is a neat Allied addition. There was a British version but I believe the spec was slightly diffferent and of course the steering wheel was on the correct side.

Still waiting on that first important Allied PLASTIC truck though.

Congrats to both SKP Models and Tamiya for bring us this much wanted vehicle and to Roden for both RRs.

Oh, and what a master stroke by Bronco on the Triumph motor bike.

Al
This post was removed.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well a major break through on theTruck front. IBG Models who already do British Softskins in 1/72 scale have on show at Nuremberg (for release next year) pictures for a Bedford QLD and a Chevrolet C15A Truck.

Hats off to them, rounds of cheering and lets hope all goes to plan and we finally get a couple of new British trucks in 1/35 scale plastic.. They have a good range in 1/72 scale so if they extend that to 1/35 scale I will indeed be happy days.

This looks like the year of the truck, several German vehicles coming out too and the images of Tamiya's Tilly look great.

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Well a major break through on theTruck front. IBG Models who already do British Softskins in 1/72 scale have on show at Nuremberg (for release next year) pictures for a Bedford QLD and a Chevrolet C15A Truck.

Hats off to them, rounds of cheering and lets hope all goes to plan and we finally get a couple of new British trucks in 1/35 scale plastic.. They have a good range in 1/72 scale so if they extend that to 1/35 scale I will indeed be happy days.

This looks like the year of the truck, several German vehicles coming out too and the images of Tamiya's Tilly look great.

Al

Once again, it's a question of the modeler actually supporting these initiatives and ensuring that their investment pays off. I think IBG have been sensible by getting the German subjects out first - hopefully providing seed-money for the Allied subjects...
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Picked thsi up on ML. Have SKP got one in the pipe line too? Just a partial shot.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1265351575/IBG+models+1-35+C15A+and+Bedford+QLD+--...

Thanks

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC
I think you're onto something yep....
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 08:58 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

This is good news, a little competition is much more likely to produce a range of vehicle choices.

Things are certainly looking up.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

Any indication yet as to what vehicle the British Driver in the porposed new MiniArt Drivers set might be for?

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Slightly remiss of me more good news on the wheeled front. The MiniArt British Bantam has been released for sale and like icing on the cake, Bronco have brought us the Triumph Motorcycle which looks 1st class. I shouldn't forget Tristar with their neat set of Welbikes.

I have heard no more on the SKP Bedford QLD, but I do hope it get released . I have money waiting to spend

I did hear a rumour in Hannants about 18 months ago when I first noticed the IGB 1/72 kits of a Kitty Ambulance in 1/35 plastic but have seen nothing to confirm that so far.

Lots of German staff cars coming along so I wonder if we might see a British one or two? A nice Austin 8hp tourer would be sweet.

I was also wondering about the Capricorn Publications on the Fordson WOT2 15cwt and the Morris Commercial C8 Quad? The Fordson book is very appropraite for the Plus Models kits but anything there in plastic? Same detail on the Quad??

So many great vehicles still to appear who knows.

Al
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 10:28 AM UTC
Al,

Followed your link from the arty thread, and want to say that any new trucks would be great. My personal hope is for a Scammel in 35th plastic, since I don't like resin as a structural material. Of course the tank transport trailer would be a must...

A Diamond T in plastic would be good too - I believe the British used enough to qualify as on-topic!

Tom
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 12:19 PM UTC
A lot of talk about softskins here... I wonder how receptive folks would be to a plastic M55 in 1/35?
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Tom,

Good choice and fits prefectly well in this thread.

If SKP decide not to go with their Bedford that would be a pity.

Hi Robert,

Right thoughts but wrong time frame for this thread. Good vehicle though with several options, basic cargo truck, crane/wrecker, tractor.

Cheers

Al

223 replies, 15,606 hits to date