_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
K5(E) Leopold
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi Everybody!
It’s New Year, Holidays are almost over for me, I’ve just finished my entries for On The Eastern Front and Self Propelled Indirect Fire campaigns so it sure is time for BIG GUNS (honestly I’m a little late but I do hope for some extension ).

My entry is going to be K5 Leopold railway gun from Trumpeter.
I don’t want to describe what’s in the box – I’ve already done that in a models review so anybody who want to get some more info about the kit itself may find it HERE .

I did not chose the paining scheme yet (it can be 1941 Calais, France - Panzergrau, or 2color scheme as used at Anzio, Italy in 1944 (red brown/dark yellow)) but I believe that this model will present itself nice in any scheme.

This is going to be the biggest model I’ve ever made so far in this scale (and it’s going to be the biggest model in my collection anyway – even 1/16 T-34 will be smaller than this monster) so I’d like to share its construction step by step with you.
I didn’t figure out where to place this monster so I have to skip the track assembly for now and focus on the gun itself.

I started with the rail platforms. They are identical to some place so every step must be done twice – It’s like working on a assembly line where you have to repeat each move several times.

Step 1.1. Details A and B –Trumpeter added some subassembly instructions to make the assembly a little clearer. So here we go with detail A (left one)… 4 of them… for two platforms… that gives us 24 parts used already – this model is going to be fun. Detail B (on the right) – same as A but with different “rear” part – it doesn’t have a hole as A has for G3 assembly later on. Another 8 pieces to build, 48 parts used.

Step 1.1. We’re attaching As and Bs to the J24 which is main platform’s part. There are also handwheels (12) and middle (2) and front/rear spring supports (4) for each platform. I’ve used 68 parts already and the progress is not even visible…

Step 1.2. Pheeew… that was hard… this step is springs assembly: we have to assembly 12 springs with 4 links each. There are also additional 4 for parts closing front and rear spring supports. G15s and G16s are oriented (they have up and down side, so be careful with glue). It took me almost 1 hour to finish first platform and 35 minutes with the second one. 186 parts used so far.

Step 2.1. Details C and D – symmetrical tanks: these doggies are mirror matches with one leg longer. I need for of them so it’s just 16 pieces used on that step.

Step 2.1. Assembly of tanks C and D on the lower platforms. Nothing to write about. 202 parts used.

Step 2.2 Details E and F. Instruction suggests that the middle part (crate) should be placed with a certain angle but I’m afraid that it may cause some troubles down the road. I kept it not glued yet. We need 4 Es and 8 Fs (96 parts).

Step 2.2. Attaching Es and Fs to the platforms. Nothing fancy here again but it’s worth mentioning that we’ve used 289 parts so far and we’re now ready for step 3.

I hope you like it so far.
More coming soon.

Andrzej
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 12:07 PM UTC
looks like a lot of parts and pieces!
Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 02:43 PM UTC
That's Trumpy........96 parts.......anyone else..........32.....lol!

I got the rail cars built and it burned me out.......thank you for re-energizing my interest, I think I will get it out from the stash!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 04:08 PM UTC
Nice work so far, Andrzej, good to see you building this and making pretty quick progress! I'll be following along on this build, and I'll put a link in your review to it.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:27 AM UTC
@ Belt_Fed and Firecaptain - you're right, the part count is scary but it small price for good acuracy of the kit. Firecaptain, I hope you'll post some pics of your model as well - let me know!.

@ James - nice to know that you have an eye or two on this build. I've promissed you built review of this kit so as you can see I'm making notes .

OK, my son is sleeping, I can finally close myself in my room put some music on (Tool's "Lateralus" is my cure for tonight) so it's time for more (not much though...).

Step 3.1. It seems I was right about the crate angles with details E and F. I’d have a lot of trouble if I would have glued them in previous step. Assembly of H15s was not very easy even with the movable crates.

This step was also my first disappointment – H16 parts are incorrect – they don’t have pins for H17 and H18 parts assembly. Nothing that could jeopardize the assembly of the kit but still an error that would be easy to correct on the mold.
I’ve used 318 parts so far.

Step 3.2. Same as 3.1. but on the other side of the platform. Bit easier because we don’t have tanks on this side – H15 is more accessible. G3 parts go in place fitting into the holes in A details. 342 part used.

Step 3.2. Details G and Railcar wheels – Gs are axis holders with lubricant feeders. Best detailed parts so far. Each G detail took 4 parts and I needed 24 of them – it gives 96 parts just for Gs.

All 12 wheels I need for both platforms took 156 parts (Gs included). Thanks to poly caps wheels are movable. I will use them in next steps.

Part count is 498.

It's almost midnight here so I feel like going to bed and reading some book. See you ASAP with more progress.

Andrzej
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:49 AM UTC
Andrzej this looks to be a very clean build and promises to look a very good finished build judging from what you have shared with us so far, perhaps you would be interested in submitting an OD or build feature to Armorama.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 08:35 PM UTC
Darren, I'd be happy to do so - it depends only on the final result - disaster may happen on every stage of the project (God, protect us ).
As soon as I complete this project I'm going to contact you concerning some feature and James concerning the review. Maybe I will submit this one for the MoM competition as well .

Andrzej
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 08:49 AM UTC
Step 4.1. Extremely well fitting of parts taking under consideration how long H21 were. Along these parts only four heavy brackets were assembled in this step – two in front and two on the rear of trucks. 518 parts used.

Step 4.1. Detail H and its assembly on the platforms – these details will be used for couplers holding. Another 10 parts added to collection.

Here it is assembled on a platform:

Step 4.2. Attaching wheels to cars – I had to give them a little push through the brakes but they went on place without a problem. H13 part (the bar connecting previously assembled brackets) was not easy to place due to the fact that fitting is very tight – nothing impossible but I had to bend away the arms with tweezers and give it a slight push. 530 parts used so far.

Step 5 is repeating step 4 on the other side of car

and closing the gaps in H21 parts close to the wheels.

We’ve just finished assembly of lower trucks – it took 556 parts, few hours of work and only 3 mistakes found (1 with parts and 2 with unclear instruction – nothing what could destroy my feeling about the model so far).
I’m going back to modeling (today in company of John Lennon’s “Imagine”) so I’m back with rear car assembly soon (maybe tomorrow).

Andrzej
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:22 AM UTC
I see some very large knock out marks that have been filled, this is Trumpeter'd biggest bug bare and one I hope that they resolve sooner rather than later, it is one of the few areas they seem to lag behind in.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 09:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I see some very large knock out marks that have been filled, this is Trumpeter'd biggest bug bare and one I hope that they resolve sooner rather than later, it is one of the few areas they seem to lag behind in.

Darren, don't worry about these - it seems I've overreacted here - marks are not going to be visible at all after upper platform placing so I've filled them for nothing (just for fun of working with putty ).
Andrzej
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
Looks like you are coming along rather well. The Trumpeter kit seems to have much more detail caompared to that of the Dragon kit. I should have taken more pictures while I was working on my build.

I found a few problems on the instructions. A couple were just totally wrong and a couple were just a little cloudy as to what they ment.

Now onto bigger details, how would an extra month work out for you and everyone else for that matter?

I know there are two other Leopolds and a Karl being worked on. Since I cannot change the date, I will ask the Campaign CIC if we can get an extra month tacked onto the end.

endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 10:08 PM UTC
I’ve finished rear truck assembly:

Step 6 starts with covering one of the lower trucks we’ve built already with the main upper platform. This is the step where I had to choose which version I build: straight track or cross track. Due to the fact that my room is not getting bigger I had to decide on straight track version – difference in here is with the ammunition wagon support parts. In this step I’ve placed side platform, and few details on the right side of the car including steps supports and the rear side of the truck.

Pat count is 570.

Step 7.1. In this step I’ve added few parts on the other side of the platform and few pieces on the lower truck as well. This was also the first step I had to use photo-etched parts. Another 10 parts here: 580 all together.

Step 7.1. Brass wires. Instruction asks us to cut and bend the brass wire to the shape presented. Not very difficult, but very annoying (at least for me). Brass wire is soft enough to bend in places you don’t want it to bend but is still springy enough not to keep the desired shape.... We need 4 brass wires A (left) and 4 B (right).

Step 7.2. Time to use A type brass wire – two parts of four (other two parts I will have to use on the front truck). Also few other details are used here. I’m starting to really appreciate logic of the assembly instruction. Somebody planned the instruction well. 586 parts used so far.

Step 8.1. Details K, L, and couplings. We have to prepare two K bumpers, two L bumpers and two couplings which, I must say, are looking very good. One K is build with 3 parts and so is L. One coupling contains 7 parts.

Step 8.1. Further derails assembly – one set of K an L (second will be used with front truck), one coupling, brake pipes, steps, left platform and front side of the truck. 615 parts used.

Step 8.2 Wire brass B is assembled in this step along with two other parts on the sides of the truck.

We’re done with the rear truck now, we’ve used 619 parts, rear truck alone took 341 of them.

Next stop: front truck assembly.

Andrzej
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 01:46 AM UTC
Probably going to be a pain to paint all this...
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably going to be a pain to paint all this...

Probably? I'm quite sure it will... .
I already know that I will have prepaint the gun and it's suspension before the assembly.
I will paint the ammunition wagon separately as well.

Andrzej
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:16 AM UTC
Looks great, Andrzej. Really nice details on this kit. Do you have a seperate room to display this monster when it is finished?

Looking forward to see more.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great, Andrzej. Really nice details on this kit. Do you have a seperate room to display this monster when it is finished?

Looking forward to see more.

Thanks Jesper! I'm glad you like it. Unfortunately I don't have a separate room but I'm trying to convince my wife that I really need some glassed display cabinet. It would solve the problem of dust and give me a lot of addiional space for new kits .
Andrzej
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2009 - 03:45 PM UTC
Coming along great, Andrzej, that's a lot of progress you've made. This looks like a kit well worth the cost, will have to go back and re-read your review
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:48 PM UTC
I haven’t written anything for a while, but I sure was working with the Leo.
With rear truck laying on the shelf and waiting for painting I started front truck assembly.

Step 9.1. Details m, n and nn and nnn (these were not named in the instruction so I had to figure something out…). Not very complex detail, n and nn are quite alike but due to the fact that nn is going to be placed lower than n it is a little higher to keep the rollers on the same height. All these details took 14 parts.
m:

n&nn:

nnn:

Step 9.1. In this step I’ve placed upper part of the truck with nn detail and main gun’s support base – 625 parts used already.

Step 9.2. Front truck assembly continues with m, n and nnn, along with many other details on the right and rear side of the truck. Part count: 645.

Step 10.1. – details on the left side and some more details on the bottom. I had some small problem with guard rail which in my kit was slightly bended, but the construction of part allowed to fit it without too much effort (part is being held on the front and on sides, so force is applied to the part from the front and sides causing even bended part to stay straight). Part count: 654

Step 10.2. – In this step I’ve attached brake pipes, rungs and brass wires A prepared few steps ago. Parts count: 660

Step 10.2. Detail o. It’s heavy, it’s simple, it’s detail o… what else needs to be said? Oh – it needed some sanding on sides…

Step 10.3. Assembly of detail o, coupler (j), bumpers k and l, steps and a cover on the middle of the truck. Parts count: 681.

Step 10.4. Last detail of the front truck – rear side (with brass parts B on the bottom), some PE parts, wooden deck and steps. I’ve finished this one with 698 parts used already.

Now I’m supposed to proceed to the gun’s assembly but I’m going to skip this one (I don’t have place to place this monster in the moment) and proceed to part that is called Ammunition Wagon in the instruction.

Step AW.1.1. Simple box made of six parts, only small gap remains between front, rear and side panels. 704 parts used so far.

By the way, Darren, you were saying something about knock out marks before – check this out!

Fortunately they will not be visible after deck is placed.

Step AW.1.2. and 3. A lot of details on the right side and rear of the wagon – handles, exhaust pipe, support for crane platform etc. Even some PE parts here as well. 732 parts used already.

Step AW.1.4 and 5. Same thing but on the left side. Parts count: 750.

Step AW.2. Deck assembly – one big part for deck and 10 support parts. This step would be different in case of cross track build. I had some problems with fitting deck to the whole structure but nothing what Super-Glue couldn’t handle . Parts count: 761.

Step AW.3.1. Exhaust pipes left and right with mufflers and cooling covers made out of PE parts. Bending PE parts to a cylindrical shape was a disaster. PE are so thick in this kit that bending it required a lot of force and there was no place to hold the parts… It took me about 45 minutes to bend these and I’m not satisfied with the result. I had to use some putty to cover the gaps and NOK shape a little bit. After painting and weathering it will not look very bad but I’m not happy with it anyway. Why, oh, why did Trumpy use such a thick plate for this PEs…

Step AW.3.2. Exhaust pipes are attached along with crane platform on the wagon. Platform is made of one plastic part and two symmetrical PE panels. Parts count: 777.

Step AW.3.3. Instruction tells us to build two shells in this step – each is made from two pieces for projectile and one shell. Parts count: 783.

Step AW.4. This step is crane assembly. Crane is very nicely detailed except for block (pulley) which is not very correct. Also rope could have better attachment points. A lot of subassembly steps here.

This step ends with placing the crane on the platform and 813 parts taken from the box. I’ve used 120 cm of thread here.

Step AW.5.1. Projectile cart assembly – two subassembly steps that result with tiny and simple cart we will place on tracks in next step. 9 parts used to build the cart.

Step AW.5.2. Guard rails, PE heat covers and cart placing. Unfortunately there is no exact information about the shape of PE covers (bending one more time…) and their placement so I did it basing on few pictures I had. I did not glued the rails yet because I want to paint the crane and its platform separately.

Ammunition wagon is finished with the 831 until now. It means that only 309 parts left in the box (I will not use all of them). Here is ammunition wagon placed on rear platform.

I’m left with only gun to assemble now – it is probably going to be pain in the back due to the fact that I will need to paint some parts before the assembly – it would be very difficult after gun is assembled so I want to avoid it. In the same time I want to start painting the trucks. Therefore my progress will probably slow down.

I hope you like it so far.

Andrzej
RSingleton
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 286 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 02:55 AM UTC
I hate it when other guns are bigger than mine
Nah, I think bouth are the same it terms of shock and awe.
831 parts, and 300 to go. I thought I had it bad with "Eva" and her approx. 800 pieces.You are doing an amazing job with this Andrzej. Keep it up! Are you planning to have a crew?

Inquiring minds must know,
Richard
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hate it when other guns are bigger than mine

Someone just had to say this one... But don't worry - it's not the size of the gun what's important - it's what you're aiming at matters .
I'm looking at your progress with Eva from time to time and I must tell you that I don't think it is much easier from Leopold. It's simply different - my built looked so far like an assembly line. Make something than repeat operation 24 times...
I'm thinking of buying the crew for this monster, I even think of diorama... for sure it will not be done soon.
Right now I have a short vacation from this monster - I need to finish (or start ) my entries for Airborne, Halftracks and Big Cats campaign. Don't worry though... I'll be back soon.

Thank you very much for comments!

Andrzej
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Armorama: 588 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:08 AM UTC
I am stuck on the weathering stage for mine. I am going to add a few crew members as well. Then adding some ground work to cover the plank I have the railbed sitting on.

But, the main focus is on the gun.

Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009 - 02:29 AM UTC
Great progress Andrzej. I have one of these waiting as well, so Im grateful for your notes and items to watch out for.
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 05:12 AM UTC
Hi everybody.
Sorry I’ve keep you waiting so long for any update but my time was simply consumed by other projects.
It’s time to move forward. Since both trucks are ready as well as the ammunition wagon all we have to do is gun itself. After studies on the instruction I feel that big number of small parts will be replaced now by small number of huge parts and some small parts in addition.

Step G.1.1. Gun barrel assembly – it starts with assembly of two huge parts of barrel joined together with support structure which be used for gun’s elevator system.

Some material sinks are visible on support parts that needs filling but they are not deep and don’t cause big problem. Barrel’s parts fit together without problem - taking their size under consideration without dimensional mismatches as well. Some putty and sanding was necessary to hide line visible on connection between two cylindrical parts but it did not take much time and effort. Also few places between barrel and it’s support required filling.
4 parts used here, 835 parts taken from the box already.

Step.G.1.2.1. Cylindrical details needed in next step: three cups (let’s call them GA (x2)

and GB),

all made of two parts – good fitting but some sanding and putty was necessary as usually happens when building cylindrical parts.
Detail GC – cylinder opened on one end and closed on the other.

842 parts used.

Step.G.1.2.2. In this step details GA, GB and GC are attached to the previously built gun’s structure. Detail GB and GC are part of one cylinder – some small fitting positioning problem here – GC must be placed exactly horizontally to fit to part that will be assembled in step 3. GC could be a little longer as well because it hardly touches detail GB which I had to glue mainly to the gun’s support structure and not to GC.

I’ve also attached 14 parts that will be used as plug-holes for cables in next steps.

856 parts used.

I have to prepare a bath for my little son so it's all for today. I hope to post some more tomorrow.

Andrzej
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi, I've been able to build some more last evening. Here are results:

Step.G.2.1. Cables are attached to gun barrels connecting parts attached in previous step. Copper wire is used for cables so it is easy to bend to required shape. I’ve done it in few steps: fit the wire from beginning to firs curve, glue this part down; fit next part of the wire to another bending point, glue it….and so on.... 16 cables are to be placed.

Four more plastic parts are attached as well.

876 parts used.

Step.G.2.2. Main part of gun elevator’s hydraulic servo cylinder (detail A-A)

and piston rod with handle (detail B-B)

– they will be used in step 4. No problems here as well, just some sanding of cylindrical parts to hide the small size/fit differences.
881 parts used.

Next step is going to be barrels lock assembly and I hope to describe it soon.

Andrzej
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 04:18 AM UTC
Few more minutes to glue some parts together, listen to VAST, post some pictures...
I've just finished step three - it looked more complex than it actually was.

Step.G.3.1. I started with subassemblies required further in this step: rear side of barrel, movable part of lock, safety mechanism parts and lock’s front part. Some small addition of putty and sanding was needed here as well but mostly on joints (again) and parts that are not very visible.

15 parts are used for these details – it gives 896 parts in toto.

Step.G.3.2. Lock assembly – two details assembled in previous step joined together and completed with two more parts: we have lock's main body done.

898 parts used.

Step.G.3.3. Further lock’s assembly – now we have the lock completed.

Step.G.3.4. Assembly of lock and previously built barrel’s part.

Next step is the assembly of elevator mechanism - after that step painting of most of parts will be almost impossible so I will prepaint them in blocks using black-red as a ground colour - in case I would not be able to paint some details after the assembly leaving them in ground color will not be a big problem.

I hope you like it so far - constructive opinions are welcome!

A
 _GOTOTOP