_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New 1/35 M4 Sherman from Dragon
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:17 AM UTC
Dragon have announced a 1/35 scale kit of the 75 mm M4 Sherman.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

A New M4 is most welcome.

Al
Eaglewatch
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 560 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC
Wow yet another stunning Sherman to add to the collection thanks Pat p.s. i don't suppose you happen to know when the kit's available in the UK?
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:37 AM UTC
looks like Tamiya's losing out again... it wouldn't suprise me if in a few years dragon and trumpeter will have brought out up to date molds of the whole tamiya military minatures range i mean we've seen nearly ever sherman variant brought out by dragon and tasca, or will have. then dragon brought out the flak 88's trumpeter took the KV Series, dragon owns the T-34 market, then dragon and trumpeter released the sdkfz.7. then there's dragon's halftracks (251's and M2 series.) not to mention the tiger's, panther's and KT's with molded on zimmerit. i'm not trashing Tamiya here, i love their kits, its just it seems to me they're losing out to the competition.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:43 AM UTC
As all of the large industrials are starting to feel the pinch, I wonder how long these new kits will continue to be released at the current rate?

I certainly won't be buying any new Shermans, Churchills or even the A13 (Brit and commonwealth models mostly in my collection!) at over £30 each much as I'd love to - it would be pushing seriously into divorce territory!
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:23 AM UTC
Another one to add too the list but will wait for the price ($$).

Doug
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:28 AM UTC
Regardless of what the kit is like the box art is superb. Almost worth getting just for that alone. One of Dragons best box cover artworks ever. Love it.

Alan
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 10:55 AM UTC
I'm happy with this release. I just wish they would get around to releasing the M4 composite that they have listed in their catalog. Or take the turret from their new Pacific M4A2 and put it with the body of their new M4A3 since I can't afford to buy two kits. It would just be a rebox with a mix of sprues, nothing to engineer. They could even keep the wood planking from the M4A2 kit as it really did fit the M4A3 on Iwo. I am glad they are doing what they are doing though.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Alan I agree that is one of the best box top pictures I have seen in many years.
daselim
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 212 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 11:56 AM UTC
Looks like I can predict another Sherman in my future.

Wait, make that two, what with Tasca announcing a 75mm M4A4.
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2009 - 09:08 PM UTC
It would be better if it came with the 2 sets of indi tracks too, give a lot more choice of finish.

What do you think, will they do a British version? Don't want to really buy 3 kits (those transmissions just ask for that), to find they re-release it with British bits. A 17pdr turret would be useful too as it will convert easily to an M4 Firefly and they were plenty of those around.

Al
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2009 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm happy with this release. I just wish they would get around to releasing the M4 composite that they have listed in their catalog. Or take the turret from their new Pacific M4A2 and put it with the body of their new M4A3 since I can't afford to buy two kits. It would just be a rebox with a mix of sprues, nothing to engineer. They could even keep the wood planking from the M4A2 kit as it really did fit the M4A3 on Iwo. I am glad they are doing what they are doing though.

I can understand not wanting to buy two kits to produce one model, but actually, you can do a straight turret swap and produce a wet stowage M4A3 (75) and a Soviet M4A2 (76). So you would get two completed projects at the end of the day for the cost of two kits (or maybe go in with another builder who wants a Soviet tank, if it's not your cup of tea--given that the new kits offer better turret and engine deck parts than Dragon's own Lend Lease Sherman from three years ago, this is actually yields a more accurate Russian vehicle).
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
I agree with the box art, it is one of the best I've ever seen. Question - I am not even close to being a Sherman expert. Is this version one that was operated by the US or only the British. The paint and markings on the box seem to be non-US.

John
stufer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 416 posts
Armorama: 342 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 07:24 AM UTC
yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!if this has raised weld seams and decent driver hoods then it's time to add a few Sherman Ic's to the kit stash,about time I used the Formation firefly turrets in the spares box
God bless Saint Rob of Ervin!!
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is this version one that was operated by the US or only the British. The paint and markings on the box seem to be non-US.

John

Gday John
It is definitely the US service M4 (although the Brits did use some) and at a pinch I could narrow it down to "Cannonball" tank number 2 of C company 70th TB. There is a famous (ok, so famous in Shermaniacs' circles ) photo of this very tank that shows it semi-submerged in a shell crater on Utah beach after it landed on June 6th, and had the mounting for the T40 rocket launcher on the turret. (this isn't on the box art...) The 3 piece nose is more than likely a guess, as the only pic(s) I have seen are inconclusive, and I know that other M4s in the same company had the later sharp one piece nose...
Brad
paulchatfield
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2009 - 08:27 AM UTC
What a great start to 2009 for Shermaholics thanks dragon and Tasca (for the Sherman V)
i'm a happy chappy

MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Armorama: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:14 PM UTC
Please, please, please Mr. Dragon, sir. Please put in markings for Thunderbolt V. Plllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee...........
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 11, 2009 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Please, please, please Mr. Dragon, sir. Please put in markings for Thunderbolt V. Plllllleeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssssseeeeeeeeeeee...........

Only if they get them right unlike the others (including the correction) and give us a DV hull for T5......

Good try

Al
wolfhounds
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hi Pat, this is a welcome addition, i put my Hobby shop on alert to get it for me. As far as complaints i've already seen them posted on Track Link. People will complain, some are valid, some are not.
I't appears Dragon has the market cornered on this subject matter. While they're at it maybe they can do an M4A3(dry hull) and an M4A3E2 (jumbo).

Cheers
Ron
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:19 PM UTC
As many other have pointed out, DML made an excellent choice kitting this Sherman variant. Those extra transmission/final drive covers, especially the early rounded one, will come in very handy for fixing up and modifying other kits. I also see it will include the commander's .50 cal--another positive step forward. I may even buy an extra copy and build an M32 on it!

-Doug
 _GOTOTOP