_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Dragon Beutepanzer M4A2 75
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 06:42 AM UTC
Something from Dragon to please both Axis and Allied Modelers- a Sherman in German service.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hey Pat,
I wonder if a late model Russian M4A2 be in the works ??
Cheers

jjumbo
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:26 AM UTC
John, this represents the 75mm gun tank on the later glacis. It's pretty late. The only other item would be the switchover to the 23-inch HVSS tracks. The Sovs did receive these in decent quantity along w/similar 76mm armed gun tanks of both 19-inch and 23-inch tracks.
ZombieKraut
Visit this Community
Aargau, Switzerland
KitMaker: 72 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:35 AM UTC
I guess Dragon's doing the same thing with the Sherman that they did with the 38(t), milk the main chassis for all it's worth. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, you guys wanted more allied models and now you're getting 'em.

Might just have to do a Sherman myself in the future!

-Mike-
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:39 AM UTC
As a CH "white box" limited edition it will no doubt find a home in may stashes...but aside from the markings this one doesn't seem to have any real modifications applied to it to "Germanize" it...so it does, IMHO, represent more of a stretch than usual for CH in terms of creating the one-offs that they specialize in. Probably not one I would end up getting myself but I'm sure that's not the case for others.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder if a late model Russian M4A2 be in the works ??

Quoted Text

John, this represents the 75mm gun tank on the later glacis. It's pretty late. The only other item would be the switchover to the 23-inch HVSS tracks. The Sovs did receive these in decent quantity along w/similar 76mm armed gun tanks of both 19-inch and 23-inch tracks.

Hey Roy,
I knew all of that.
The boxart seems to indicate a late dry stowage hull with applique armour, late suspension and road wheels and a 75mm, I just forgot to mention it in my post.
I was just wondering if Dragon would also do one in Soviet markings to further utilize the molds.
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 09:28 AM UTC
Hmmmmm, I don't think there is anything wrong with modelling captured vehicles, these were quite common during the war. This would have been a much more creditable option had it been marketed as a Soviet vehicle with the additional option of German markings

There is a lot of potential for modellers with a range of captured vehicles, but bring out a kit that had little if anything done to change it under the Axis lable seems just a gimmick to try and sell it., and leaves the Soviet builders to pick up the tab for decals if they want to build it I suppose.

That said it's another option if people want to buy it , so more choice which must be a good thing!!!

Al

thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:32 AM UTC
Anyone else notice the choice of a very rare turret ...Low bustle with loaders hatch ..I know there were some but this was changed quite quickly when the turret blocked the hull hatches .

Rick
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 12:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyone else notice the choice of a very rare turret ...Low bustle with loaders hatch ..I know there were some but this was changed quite quickly when the turret blocked the hull hatches .

Rick

Hey Rick,
Rare version or not, the U.S. shipped almost 2000 75mm armed Shermans to the Soviets.
Good bet that this one's based on an M4A2 sitting in a museum somewhere in Russia, Kubinka may be ???
Or maybe it's based on these photos, the T49 tracks appear to be the type to be provided with the kit !?!?

http://beute.narod.ru/Beutepanzer/us/M4_sherman/su/soviet.htm

Cheers

jjumbo
Desmoquattro
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 168 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 01:06 PM UTC
I'd say buyers should probably raid the spares bin for German pioneer tools to "Germanize" it. The kit soesn't appear to come with German supplies.
Damraska
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 580 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:32 PM UTC
I guess if anything German sells, and Shermans also sell, a German Sherman should REALLY sell! On the other hand, the lukewarm response here may indicate otherwise?

So Mad Scientist Shermophiles, if cross bred with other Shermans, what rare and exotic beasties will this get us? The model actually contains quite a few new bits--dished wheels, late 75mm turret with loader's hatch, late M4A2 hull(?).

Based on comments here, CyberHobby should add decals for some Russian examples to broaden the appeal. Anybody else use it? Post war?

Quoted Text

I'd say buyers should probably raid the spares bin for German pioneer tools to "Germanize" it. The kit soesn't appear to come with German supplies.

I noticed the same thing. I wonder if the actual kit will have them. If so, I hope CyberHobby includes the naked tools with PE clamps. If the Germans equipped these with MG34/MG42s, they should come in the box as well.

-Doug
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:41 PM UTC
Couldn't someone just slap a few German crosses on an everyday Sherman from their stash, and save themselves 50 bucks?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 02:57 PM UTC
This does seem a bit of a let down from DML in terms of how is this special other than it not being OD, however they must see a need, it will be of a high quality, cleanly moulded, and desire for it must be there so good luck to them.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 03:38 PM UTC
Oh gee whiz! Dragon will do anything to push another "German" tank across the board! lol
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 04:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They were used "as is". They didn't "Germanize" them, as say some of the stuff they did with T34s. This kit is realy nice spare parts bin.

Thanks for the clarification on the tools and equipment, Gary. You echo my own thoughts when you characterize this kit as a "spare parts bin". I am going through my books searching for something unusual that would require this kit.

Quoted Text

This does seem a bit of a let down from DML in terms of how is this special other than it not being OD, however they must see a need, it will be of a high quality, cleanly moulded, and desire for it must be there so good luck to them.

The dished wheels and late 75mm turret were probably tooled up for something else and readily available in house. CyberHobby saw an opportunity to release a limited run kit of a limited interest subject and took it. The time required to bring this kit to market was probably minimal compared to a full blown research and tooling effort. It's a niche release. It's kinda cool that the hobby is strong enough to make such limited interest products profitable and thus possible. It may not appeal to most of us, but if it appeals to even a few people, I say good for them.

-Doug
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:22 PM UTC
John you are very right...That is exactly the reference dragon used for their kit ....It is nice to see this type of turret which I don,t we've had in plastic before ..I have a funny feeling this might be the turret we get with their PTO M4 kit that has been announced ...I might just wait for that one to come out .
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 05:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

John you are very right...That is exactly the reference dragon used for their kit ....It is nice to see this type of turret which I don,t we've had in plastic before ..I have a funny feeling this might be the turret we get with their PTO M4 kit that has been announced ...I might just wait for that one to come out .

Hey Rick,
Same here, wouldn't be too surprised to see that low bustle turret on Dragon's PTO M4.
Additionally, I wonder if the composite hulled Firefly 1c that Dragon's had in the works for the past few years might not use the same turret.
I recall seeing a photo of a Canadian Firefly 1c with the oval loader's hatch and it would make for another rare yet different looking vehicle.
Time will tell !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:31 PM UTC
It's quite an unusual combination but one backed by quite a few photos. Normally the LAte 47 deg hulls had High Bustle turrets but this has one of the rarer Very late Low Bustle Turrets with both a loaders hatch and a pistol port. I have not seen any of this format on USMC late A2's as I believe all of their ones had the HB turrets.
Interesting to see where else this turret ends up. The only other vehicle I can recall seeing one on was a Composite but possibly a very early late gulled A3.

A great kit and obviously based on well know photos of a Wrecked one in German Colours.
Can't get excited about CH though.
Cheers
Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 - 11:20 PM UTC
This is a diagram showing which turrets were used with which variants published by Dan Fong over on ML.

Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a diagram showing which turrets were used with which variants published by Dan Fong over on ML.

The kit matches the fourth drawing--late, low bustle, 75mm turret with thickened cheek armor, split TCs hatch, and small oval loader's hatch. I presume most tanks in the production run had high bustle turrets (drawing 5; Hunnicutt page 150) making this a rare M4A2 variant from the Fisher plant produced in December 1943 or January 1944. Is that correct?

Do large hatch M4A2 and M4A3 tanks have the same upper hull tail plate angle? Would a large hatch M4A3 use the exact same hull found in this kit (other than the obvious necessity of swapping out the engine deck and adding the engine door supports)?
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 04:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The kit matches the fourth drawing--late, low bustle, 75mm turret with thickened cheek armor, split TCs hatch, and small oval loader's hatch. I presume most tanks in the production run had high bustle turrets (drawing 5; Hunnicutt page 150) making this a rare M4A2 variant from the Fisher plant produced in December 1943 or January 1944. Is that correct?

Do large hatch M4A2 and M4A3 tanks have the same upper hull tail plate angle? Would a large hatch M4A3 use the exact same hull found in this kit (other than the obvious necessity of swapping out the engine deck and adding the engine door supports)?

No, the tail plate of an M4A2 is about ten degrees off vertical (same as an M4), while an M4A3 is about 15 degrees. Hard to be dogmatic about the date of production based on the turret style, since US factories were not fastidious about using parts in the order they were delivered. Just call it an early M4A2 with 47 degree glacis. Loader's hatches were also available as kits to retrofit older turret shells during rebuilds, so they turn up rather more often on postwar tanks sent as foreign aid.
Damraska
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 11:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, the tail plate of an M4A2 is about ten degrees off vertical (same as an M4), while an M4A3 is about 15 degrees. Hard to be dogmatic about the date of production based on the turret style, since US factories were not fastidious about using parts in the order they were delivered. Just call it an early M4A2 with 47 degree glacis. Loader's hatches were also available as kits to retrofit older turret shells during rebuilds, so they turn up rather more often on postwar tanks sent as foreign aid.

Thanks again, Gerald. I was not sure if the tail plate angles stayed the same when the hulls went from small to large hatches.

I thought I had a decent selection of Sherman references but I cannot find any pictures of this beast, other than the two posted earlier. I need to make myself a Sherman family tree so I can keep them all straight, and for help spotting unusual variants like this.

-Doug
404NotFound
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 325 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:21 AM UTC
I'm ordering one. I suppose I'm in a very small minority here that welcomes a kit such as this. As soon as I saw it, I knew I'd like to build it as I am intrigued by captured armor operated by any nation, late war Eastern Front armor and I also find the color scheme appealing.

It'll be a fun learning opportunity for me in that I know nothing about Shermans. I am also looking forward to trying out some weathering techniques on this, especially as the photos of this tank show some rather heavy weathering.

Is this kit based upon an existing Dragon kit? Is there a tweaks list somewhere?

I also suppose that some aftermarket items might be worthwhile. I've seen a Voyager PE kit for the M4A2. Would that work well with this? Anything else? I saw some items on tigermodels.com. Their TC hatch looks good. Any recommendations?

Please chime in with your thoughts. I'd be very interested in reading them.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, January 16, 2009 - 07:28 AM UTC
Anyone have Soviet decals for Shermans?
 _GOTOTOP