_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
ANOTHER Update - DML's Sd.Kfz 7/1
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 12:50 AM UTC
This seems to be the release which never ends being updated. Here are some more images of the ACTUAL model. No explanations or apologies to the Blogger-Boy, but once again the Images are Watermarked. The updated report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Warning
KitMaker: 107 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 01:03 AM UTC
I like the windshield, the suspension and the overall stance of the vehicle but I'm perplexed by the inclussion of 3 tires are would love to see some close up images of how the track sits on the front sprocket.

I can't help thinking that the release is going to be pushed to late April or May as HLJ still don't have it in their future releases section, but we shall see.

CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC
Forgive me if this is common knowledge but the text says the tires are made of 'DS' with a logo and the same initials. What does 'DS' mean and what is it? In the photos it appears to look like resin tires.
Cheers,
Charles
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi Charles

As I understand it, this DS stands for Dragon Styrene, a grade of plastic that Dragon has used, mainly for tracks on some of their recent releases.

Alan
Removed by original poster on 03/31/09 - 13:19:32 (GMT).
CReading
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks for the explanation Alan. So it is styrene and not vinyl.
Cheers,
Charles
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm perplexed by the inclussion of 3 tires

One is a spare to go in the compartment underneath the load bed.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 03:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the explanation Alan. So it is styrene and not vinyl.
Cheers,
Charles

On it being styrene or vinyl in its true classification I don't know to be honest. I've no direct experience of it.

I think it has flexibility like vinyl, and some limited "memory" to it, as I believe when items like track are packed they are surrounded by packing to prevent squashing and mishaping, but you are able to glue it with normal modelling glue.

I wonder why they didn't go for their usual method of multi layer sandwich to create the tyres/wheels. Maybe it's cost and this stuff can hold detail well like plastic but get over the restrictions of "normal plastic" mouldings.

Also it does cancel out the other option, vinyl, like the dreaded Italeri tyres of old, or any for that matter, susceptible to cracking and brittleness with age, and attack from some of the more aggressive solvents in certain paints or washes modellers use unless properly sealed with a primer etc.

Alan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 03:29 AM UTC
IMO, one of the best innovations in the last few years has been DS (Dragon Styrene). Compared to vinyl it's in a different dimension. I'm delighted to see they're using this for the wheels, it MAY seem 'gimmicky' to some, but in reality, it holds detail well, can be glued using normal cement and and holds any kind of enamel undercoat well. It's worked well with M4 tracks (nice and flexible) and when they've used it on figure-heads it really is excelllent. So, using it for tires, is the next logical step.
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 04:45 AM UTC
For those of us who don't read the pictures do help and this looks like a very nice kit. Can't wait to get the DML and Trumpeter kits side by side for making a purchase decision.

The use of DS for the tires is IMO a good use for this material. However I still don't like it for tracks, especially for track runs that sag. Thankfully they used the Magic Tracks for this kit.

And now we wait for the blessed arrival at the LHS.

P.S. Nit Pick
Why didn't DML use black DS instead of sand color?
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 - 12:53 PM UTC
Well for all of Blogger boys lampooning of the Trumpeter competition regarding accuracy and price I noted with surprise that DML's trailerless example is $20 AUD dearer than the Trumpeter example in the same shop. I'm certain the DML one is a lot more accurate but if price is your thing then thats a big difference -25% increase over the Trumpeter one.
Al
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, June 01, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DS (Dragon Styrene)... holds any kind of enamel undercoat well.

Jim, would you advise against acrylics?
 _GOTOTOP