_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
DML: New Winter Figure Set
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2009 - 11:23 PM UTC
Dragon Models have just announced, within their 39-45 Series, a New 1/35th scale set of four figures. 6518 - German Infantry in Wachmantel (Leningrad 1943). Images and some details of this new set, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:32 AM UTC
ANOTHER pointing German.

Looks like a very nice set though, perfect for those Eastern Front dios and vignettes. I'll probably end up buying a box or two.

- Steve
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:49 AM UTC
Like Sreve said, "Very Interresting set" Don't know alot about this type of winter overcoat. Looks like they would keep you very warm for minus 40-50 degrees. Was it issued to the Wehrmacht, SS or both? When were they first issued, First or second winter in Russia? The two NCO's look good together, the single standing figure looks like he would be great in a lone sentry type Dio. Very cold, all alone, praying to be relieved so he can get some zzz's in a warm bunker. Nice set, never seen these type of uniforms before. Great chance of something a bit different to the normal winter padded jacket
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 12:57 AM UTC
This will look wonderful in my Antarctic diorama. Sigh, more money spent.

Matt
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
This is perfect for a dio I'm working on in the snows of the Eastern Front. Congrats again to DML who is setting the bar in styrene figures.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 06:27 AM UTC
AFAIK these coats were specifically for guard duty. I remember a surplus shop having either Swedish or Russian Guard Duty Coats on sale back in the 80s. When I tried one on it was so heavy it was really difficult to move around in. Warm though
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 06:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...these coats were specifically for guard duty...

Yep, that would make a lot of sense. Standing about in sub-zero temperatures would require something a little special...
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
mmmm....me thinks I know exactly what to use these figures with...that woodgrainless watchtower kit! (I think im going to scratch the tower with basswood using the kit parts as patterns)

should make for a fun little dio to test some snow techniques on
andy
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AFAIK these coats were specifically for guard duty.

Spot on Pat. The name says it all as well - "Wachmantel" is literally "guard coats" or "watch coats" in German.

- Steve
DioRandy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 - 02:51 PM UTC
Sure, just as I put the finishing touches on four sets of winter-clad warriors I mixed and matched from three different manufacturers to compliment a diorama featuring Dragon's 3-1 Initial Production Tiger I, they release three sets of their own. Three of the sets I used were Styrene and one was from resin -- none were from Dragon.
Now, they offer the Infantry in wachmantel, the Totenkopf in Karkov and the Panzer IV tank riders. I hope they plan on releasing a winter-clad crew.
Oh, well. I still have their 3-1 Ausf.D version of the Panzer IV on my closet shelf. Perhaps, I'll incorporate them all into one larger diorama and have it completed by next winter.
I'm already feeling a chill in the air.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 04:07 AM UTC
WOW ! Could these be Dragon's best figure kit yet? Great poses and the faces look pretty good too. I think these are going to end up in the stash. Have a great weekend everybody !!!
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2009 - 05:23 AM UTC
Found a few real examples of the guards coat. German and Soviet, all made out of wool. Not found any examples made out of sheeps skin, but they were manufactured. Nice touch, the grenade pocket. You wouldn't want to be fumbling about with M1924 stick grenade with those big thick mittens? As Bill C said Dragon is really "Rising the bar" with its Styrene figures of late. Geraint
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2009 - 06:27 PM UTC
If you look at the Dragon-USA website you'll notice that they have changed the spelling on the box to "Wach(t)mantel", which means heavy "guard" or "watch" coat instead of "Wach" (awake) coat. Just an observation.
The set looks very cool. I will have one.
PBR_Streetgang
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 48 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 02:07 PM UTC
Jim,

Looks like a "must have" for Eastern Front. Although the war "tried" to continue itself during Winter, in places like Leningrad (St. Petersburg) it is downright freezing for at least 3 months. I read sometimes the weather was so cold, they suspended fighting!

Hope they come out with some Russians equally as suited.

Bill B.
NICK-NAUPLIO
Visit this Community
Argolis, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 57 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:04 PM UTC
Great set and..more money spent and the stash gets higher with every release from dragon.
Thanks for the news
 _GOTOTOP