_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Legend Uparmored M11151 Conversion
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2009 - 10:44 PM UTC
Robert Skipper (18 Bravo) brings us news of Legend Productions latest HMMWV Conversion and accessories.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
awrc
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 281 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
Luckymodel is showing this as $75.98 with free shipping.

However, I also note that Luckymodel's listing a separate interior set - whether this stuff is included in the uparmoured 1151 set or requires a separate purchase is unclear.

Al
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
KitMaker: 1,370 posts
Armorama: 1,331 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 05:48 AM UTC
Pat McGrath
Is there a way to consolidate the other thread on this topic here in this space so the content can be in one place?
Regards
Bill
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 06:33 AM UTC
One would assume the main M1151 conversion includes everything thats shown, on the whole if legends show something on the box thats what you get inside, but then again you know what they say about assumption......
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 06:54 AM UTC
I'd certainly like confirmation on that fact as well Al and Rob, nothing worse in assuming you get the interior and you don't. Rob you are correct too that with Legend what's on the box art is what you get and for $75.00 US I'd want it all too.
Now we await the first sighting!
Bill
jwdeboer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 30 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2009 - 07:14 AM UTC
Guys,

The kit contains all sets. (Wheels, Turret and interior)

The turret and interior are also marketed as separate sets.
Probably the wheels will me released as separate set as well.

There might be an additional super detail set for the for the bottom armour consisting of a lot of PE.
This was not included in this set to keep the price down.

No release dates known yet for this set.

(BTW: I'm the Benelux distributor for Legend)
tnker101
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
I was hoping for a M1114 kit. I was in Iraq 2004 - 2005. We were equipped with Uparmored HMMVEE's, but we first had Hilbilly turrets then revceived production turrets. Looks like I may have to pick this kit up and back date the turret and other details.
bpunchy
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 366 posts
Armorama: 199 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:58 AM UTC
hey looks tops , i want one . hey there was another thread about this ( eh boggie ? ) with reference photos . can someone please post a link to it for us tech challenged old b*********. thanks.
Markus_Almighty
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:30 AM UTC
Oh yeah I want one for myself too. This looks perfect!
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:45 AM UTC
I know this may be a silly question but is the grenade launcher shield upside down in the pictures?

cheers

keith
Markus_Almighty
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Nope, its in the right place as it should be and its not upside down.
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 03:13 AM UTC
yep your right but it doesn't look right,

cheers

Keith
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hey there was another thread about this ( eh boggie ? ) with reference photos . can someone please post a link to it for us tech challenged old b*********. thanks.

You'll find some walkaround pics here :
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/MarkEmodels/M1151A1/?start=all

and here as well (basic M1151 without Frag 5 armor kit) :
http://www.primeportal.net/hummers/epifanio_becerra/m1151/index.php?Page=1

HTH

Frenchy
Blue1fox
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was hoping for a M1114 kit. I was in Iraq 2004 - 2005. We were equipped with Uparmored HMMVEE's, but we first had Hilbilly turrets then revceived production turrets. Looks like I may have to pick this kit up and back date the turret and other details.

Mig Productions makes a 1/35 M1114 kit

M1114 HUMVEE with Shielded MG Cupola [MP 35-269]

or

M1114 UP-ARMORED HMMWV [MP 35-254] - Wheels not included (Cheaper version)

Maybe a bit of mix and match may be in order.

I'm looking forward to the Legends M1151, though would have much preferred if it was in plastic from Tamiya, Trumpeter or Hobby Boss. Would have also liked to see the bumper kit too, like the one below on a M1114.

Cheers
Andrew
Boggie
Visit this Community
Newfoundland, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 09:15 AM UTC
Brian
I knew this would happen, so much information already on the other thread and it would have been lost in the Armorama ether. Thanks for asking Brian.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/141492&page=1
Tnker 101, IMHO you'd do better to buy the Mig 1114 resin conversion it already has everything except the Hill Billy armour turrent.
Tick tock whens it in stock.
Bill
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 01:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brian
I knew this would happen, so much information already on the other thread and it would have been lost in the Armorama ether. Thanks for asking Brian.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/141492&page=1
Tnker 101, IMHO you'd do better to buy the Mig 1114 resin conversion it already has everything except the Hill Billy armour turrent.
Tick tock whens it in stock.
Bill

Boggie, now that I know how easy it is to properly submit a news story, it the dual posting shouldn't happen again.
As for the ballistic glass in the front of the guns shields, it is indeed correct as others have mentioned. The thing is-look at the photos closely. If you're hunkered down in the turret, you cannot see past the ammo can to see through the left side anyway, so it's pretty useless. Since this has come up here and on M-L, I'll share my own insights:

Big Army had a thing about "nametape defilade" to protect gunners. The problem is that when you're hunkered down, your situational awareness is severely limited. I don't know what Big Army's SOP is, but ours is that the Gunner is ultimately responsible for the truck.
Several reasons:
First and foremost, he has the big gun. Nothing chases people out of the way faster than a few .50 rounds cacked in front of or over the top of their vehicles.
Secondly, he is the eyes and ears of the truck. For us, the TC's function was to check position on the FBCB2 and to maintain comms. He can barely see through the windshield, and has a very limited view. As a gunner, you cannot see IED's hunkered down behind the glass, and you do not have a 360 degree field of view unless you raise up. There's a seat in the turret-it's best use is to stand on it to give you better visibilty out in front of the vehicle. Or you can stand on the ammo cans. And speaking of the FBCB2, that brings us to the third gunner responsibility-
Navigating. The FBCB2 has as much as a five second lag time. When you're doing 70 mph, you can travel pretty far in five seconds. The lead gunner must communicate with the driver to let him know when turns are coming up. His elevated position makes it easier to differentiate the slightly darker dirt that indicates another "road." TC's who relied solely on the FBCB2 often missed turns, but we remedied this early on.
I can't say this is true for the rest of the Army, or even SF. But as the Weapons Sergeant, one of my responsibilities is to plan primary and alternate infil and exfil routes. Who better to help direct the driver (yes, the gunner did on our ODA, not the TC) than the dude who planned the route? In the desert, after 140 plus missions, we got to the point where we could recognize a village in the distance just by the shape of it's mosque, or the light it gave off at night, (when the poor sods had electricity, which was 2 hours a day, and sometimes occurred at 1200 midnight)
Oh, and as for comms, well, they don't work well with jammers. The gunner also passes hand and arm signals to the other gunners, who pass them on to the crew.
It is counterintuitive to have the gunner elevated and exposed, but I found it to be a far better position. Having one guy have a bad day is better than losing an entire five man crew. So the idea of the glass is nice, but for me it's rather like putting a screen door in a submarine.
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 761 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 02:13 PM UTC
I found a couple of dealers from Korea on Ebay and kit with shipping is about $100-$110
Tempting, but I'll probably wait til SB or LM gets them in.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a couple of dealers from Korea on Ebay and kit with shipping is about $100-$110
Tempting, but I'll probably wait til SB or LM gets them in.

Lucky model seems to be the cheapest at £50 with free shipping, might be different for you guys the other side of the pond though.....
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
LM has it listed as" available" for about $75 USD.
cyclones6
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,199 posts
Armorama: 821 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 06:22 AM UTC
"Available" means that they dont have it but can get it...when they get their next Legend restock they should actually have it "in stock". It looks like a great set but I dont know if I would be willing to shove out $75 for a humvee kit...too small for me!
Evan
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"Available" means that they dont have it but can get it...when they get their next Legend restock they should actually have it "in stock". It looks like a great set but I dont know if I would be willing to shove out $75 for a humvee kit...too small for me!
Evan

Which is why you don't hear me screaming "I HAVE IT ALREADY!!!"
$75 is cheap when its the only game in town.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 08:25 AM UTC
$75 is cheap when the conversion leaves all but the chassis, hood and basic tub. You get a lot of resin for your money by the looks of it, as well as a fair bit of PE. I guess it boils down to if you think its worth it or not, personally i do considering the hours and effort that would go into a scratch build project!
sopmod6
Visit this Community
Tokyo-to, Japan / 日本
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 11:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

$75 is cheap when the conversion leaves all but the chassis, hood and basic tub. You get a lot of resin for your money by the looks of it, as well as a fair bit of PE. I guess it boils down to if you think its worth it or not, personally i do considering the hours and effort that would go into a scratch build project!

Completely,totally,utterly agree! What he said.
Rattler
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
Armorama: 277 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 08:28 AM UTC
sweet...

LOL it bloody well figures.. I build one of these versions... and someone comes out with it.. LOL.... well orderd Mine from HE should be here next wk... looks cool though...

paid total of 83.23 .... conversion fee an shipping... ya know all that good stuff
Northwestern
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 349 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
I will get this, but not for a while due to financial reasons (1/35 Schnellboote and 1/32 Su-27UB Flanker Draining my account)

I like how this looks, I got a bunch of pics of these while I was in Iraq, my only questions regarding this is

Will I have to cut and hack the suspension so it looks like it is riding the axle pretty hard like the real ones

How long before a company comes out with the huge front bumper with the HID lights and heavy tube look
 _GOTOTOP