Hosted by Darren Baker
TREEMENDUS - Eastern front snow dio
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 82 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 12:08 AM UTC
I have been working on this dio over the last couple of months (mainly on the Stug, the ground work up to now is only a few hours work) and thought some of you might want to see it. All the materials used for this dio are part of the TREEMENDUS range including a Tree Kit , Scenic Kit, Pure Snow, Scree and Scenefix Glue to hold it all in place permanently.

This picture shows the overall composition to get a feel of what I am trying to achieve

The basic ground relief has been carved into a celing tile. I find these incredibly useful for building dio bases The tile has then been glued onto a wooden dio base. The tracks are carfeully measured so as the Stug will sit firmly in the snow and not on top of it.

The base has now had a coat of ordinary matt white emulsion paint to give an overall base colour. Some groundwork has been added and although the whole area is to be covered in snow it still pays to give some thought to the way it is placed.

Now the first layer of snow has been put in place. Care has been taken to show some of the foliage through what is the first of two layers of snow. Another layer is to be added after the Stug is in place. I intend to add more subtle bits of foliage before the next layer of snow also.

The figure was chosen to emulate the angle of the tree and seems to work fine. This picture is to show how the finished model will look as a composition.

A close up of the tuft in the foreground shows well the effect of freshly fallen snow.

The Stug has now had an undercoat of primer and is ready to paint and weather!!

A close up of the painted figure. Yes I know his arm has slipped and will sort this out later. I will also do more work on his face in due course.

The figure in position. I am only going to use the one figure on this dio as I want to achieve a cold and lonley feel.

Thanks for looking

Anthony - TREEMENDUS

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 04:31 AM UTC
Nice job on explaining how you have done this thus far.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hehe, where have I seen this before

Nice one, Ant!

Rudi
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2009 - 09:09 PM UTC
Cheers Rudi

Hope you are well mate.

Ant
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 12:21 AM UTC
Lots of progress since the last posting.

The stug was given two coats o fGerman grey and the decals were added.

Next the tracks and tools were given a coat of paint

Then a rough coat of whitewash was added. This is to be washed off using water through an airbrush.

The feel of the Stug was not what I originally wanted. ....

so I decided to add more whitewash again.

A bit more tweeking on the whitewash is still needed but this is more like the paint job I was after

The Stug and figure can now be placed onto the scenic base. There are still more things I need to do like add some snow and mud on the Stug and the tracks to bring it all together. I will post some photos when the dio is complete.

Thanks for looking.

Ant

Occam
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 190 posts
Armorama: 129 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 12:59 AM UTC
What a wonderful diorama...I can feel the icy wind at my desk right now...brrrrr

Great work!
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 01:22 AM UTC
Im getting cold just looking at it! Your whitewash looks spectacular- how did you do it?

Unfortunatly, it seems thay you neglected to remove the ejector pin marks off the spare track links. I hope it is not still to late to remove them? It is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect model.
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 01:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im getting cold just looking at it! Your whitewash looks spectacular- how did you do it?

Unfortunatly, it seems thay you neglected to remove the ejector pin marks off the spare track links. I hope it is not still to late to remove them? It is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect model.

Thanks very much Jon.

This is the first military model/dio I have made for many many years so I am delighted with your comment!. The whitewash was an ideas "borrowed" from a certain Noel Petroni. Take ordinary white poster paint and roughly paint it all over the model. when it has dried , put water in your airbrush and work over the surface taking off most of what you have put on!!!. I think I took too much off so went over the whole vehicle again because I wanted to represent a tank that had had a recent whitewash. I must say i'm well chuffed with it myself.

Where/what are the ejector pin marks?, I'm guessing they are created in the process of making the tracks?. What I intend to do is give a light dusting of snow over certain areas so hopefully this will cover any sign of 'em.

Once again thanks for your comment. I'm looking forward to starting the next one.

Cheers

Ant
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 02:20 AM UTC
Your snowed landscape looks very good!
I should take some care with my one... I have no plants on my (also first) dio.

greetings...
Soeren
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 11:45 AM UTC
Hello Anthony
Excellent diorama, with outstanding atmosphere. Apologies if I missed this in the thread, but what did you use for the snow?
Great work!
Regards
G
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 11:46 AM UTC
Hi
I see above its by TREMENDUS.
Thanks anyway
G
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 06:20 PM UTC
Well done, nice dio!

I would turn around the soldier to be in the same direction as the Stug.

Cheers
Claude

Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 07:56 PM UTC
"I would turn around the soldier to be in the same direction as the Stug."

Possibly a reaction of the soldier, to hide himself from enemy soldiers? That was my idea for this dio.

greetings...
Soeren
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 09:27 PM UTC
This is how I see it.

The Stug is stationary and has not moved for a while (this may be more obvious when the snow is added). The soldier is returning from somewhere or other when he is startled by something and turns his head. The reason I wanted to place the figure walking back toward the Stug is because I wanted to create the tree and figure to be leaning at the same angle and reckon the composition wouldnt work if the tree faced the other way.

Cheers

Ant
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is how I see it.

The Stug is stationary and has not moved for a while (this may be more obvious when the snow is added). The soldier is returning from somewhere or other when he is startled by something and turns his head. The reason I wanted to place the figure walking back toward the Stug is because I wanted to create the tree and figure to be leaning at the same angle and reckon the composition wouldnt work if the tree faced the other way.

Here it comes really tro a matter of taste. I saw your different directions of Stug and tree, but did not comment on that, but my personal taste would eventually be to turn everything the same way. That would be more effective with a running Stug.
And than of course this should be viewed live and not on pics.

Claude

TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 10:40 PM UTC
Thanks for taking the time to comment Claude.

I'm hoping tree direction and angle creates an intimate atmosphere which may be lost if it faced in the other direction. That said it would be interesting to see it leaning the other way.

Cheers

Ant
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2009 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi anthony

Great work on the diorama. Love the snow product, looks good.

I see nothing wrong with the composition of your diorama. The leaning figure and tree influences the eye towards the Stug which is good. If I remember correctly I read Shep Paine said that a good diorama scene should focus the eye into the scene. Changing it to all facing the other way would in my opinion lead the eye out of the scene towards the right.

Alan
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments. Here are more photos of the now complete diorama. There are still little things I could do (crows nest in the tree?) but am calling it a day on this one. Hope you like the pics.

Thanks for looking.

Ant - TREEMENDUS

Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 02:41 AM UTC
The tree is fantastic and I love the white wash on the tank. This is a really nice scene and lovely to see.

I also like how you put the snow on the figure, I tried a similar thing myself on my winter T34/76 Diorama.

barbacanosa
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 296 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 - 03:19 AM UTC
Congratulations, he is a great, I love the landscape, this hard at all points, especially that tree is a beautiful

Domi
HEINE-07
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 198 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 06:21 AM UTC

"I'm hoping tree direction and angle creates an intimate atmosphere..."

Cheers

Ant
[/quote]

Hello Ant!

This is the best miniature tree I have ever seen! Please remark more about the process of making it. How are the finest twigs attached? Is the glue adhering to wire, or to a coating on the wire--Is there any coating over the wire--what is it, and was it modeled to represent bark?

HEINE-7
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi Rick

Thanks for your comment and thanks for taking a look. Hopefully this should answer your questions. The only difference is, the tree on the Eastern Front dio uses seamoss for the very fine branches whereas the demo tree uses a synthetic " hair". If you have any more questions then please ask.

Some modellers seem to shy away from making trees and scenic dioramas for their models for different reasons. What follows is a SBS using a TREEMENDUS Tree Kit.

Take one TREEMENDUS Tree Kit. It includes all the materials required to make yourself a top quality scale model tree.

Take the wire

Tap the end on a flat surface to give this result.

Pull a few strands from the centre. This will be an anchor for the tree.

Put tape around the anchor and bend the wires upwards to create a root system. Not all trees have roots like this but it will give your model a bit of extra character.

Take one wire and wrap it around the trunk until you get to the point where you want the first branch. Take 12-15 wires and bend them down and outwards. These wires are now your first branch. Continue winding with the wire that was going up your trunk. This will now become one of the side branches. Then create a branch system as this.

Repeat the above step on the opposite side of the trunk slightly higher up. Next place a branch at the back, then the front and continue all the way up the trunk. Use fewer wires the further up you get.

The branch structure is now complete. This example is 11 inch in height but the wires can be cut prior to construction so you can get 3-4 smaller trees if you wish.

Next take some wire cutters or pliers and have some masking tape ready for the next stage.

Trim the wires but leave an inch or so stub

The whole tree has now been trimmed. This reveals something that already looks more like a tree. Note too that the trunk has been shaped to give a more natural looking result.

Any offcuts of wire are perfect for making branches to use as commo on your tanks.

Next take the masking tape and tightly wrap it around the trunk and lower branches. This not only bulks the trunk and branches up but also hides the wires wrapped around them.

Take the bark powder and glue and mix about a quarter of the pack of powder with a small amount of glue. Add a little glue at a time. The perfect consistancy should just stick to a mixing stick.

Starting at the top (so you can hold the trunk) paint the bark mixture onto the branches and trunk working your way down. The mixture contains all the texture you see here straight out of the bag.

When the whole trunk has been covered it must be left for 24hrs or so to completely dry.

Once dry, any blobs of bark on the branch tips can be picked off and the branch structure can be given a light spray with an aerosol or airbrush to make sure all the bare wires are covered.
I usually give the whole tree a wash with water colours to give a realistic weathered look.

This tree is for an exhibition model railway (it is going to be placed on an embankment, this is why the root system is set at an angle) I always add an aluminium pin which fits inside a slightly bigger one which will be fixed in position on the embankment. This allows the tree to be taken off the layout and transported/stored seperatly

.Next is the process of adding the fine branch system and the foliage. Take the "canopy"

Pull a small amount off the plait and tease it into a open structure. Make up a batch, enough to cover the tree ideally and spray these with an aerosol type paint (this isn't crucial but does give the canopy more strength) which can result in a more open canopy.

Take one of the canopies and give it a good spray with hairspray. turn it over and repeat.
Take the scatter and sprinkle it all over the canopy, turn it over and sprinkle on the otherside too.

This is then placed on the branch structure you have previously made. You don't need to glue it on at this stage. Repeat the two above steps until the whole tree armature has been covered.

Once the whole tree has been covered, take the atomiser (supplied with the kit) and screw it on the glue bottle. Give the whole tree a good soaking with the glue through the atomiser. This will turn the whole tree white but it will dry to a clear matt finish which is very durable. This stage also sticks the canopy to the armature. Try to avoid getting too much onto the trunk area and if possible dab any excess off with a tissue. Set aside to dry for approx 24hrs.

After 24 hours or so the tree will have completely dried.

The time has come to refine the tree. Using both hands gently pull at the canopy to give it a more open structure. At this point scatter will fall off the model as not all the scatter will have come into contact with the glue but this is ok as you are trying to give a nice open airy look to the tree. You can be fairly rough with it at this stage, continue teasing until you are happy with the look. Some people prefer a denser canopy and others a more open look. It is a matter of taste and somewhat dependant on the scale being modelled.

This photo shows the tree about half way through the process.

When you have achieved the look you want, trim any hanging and flyaway canopy off with scissors. It is worth taking your time over this step as this is the final refinement stage. It is worth noting that usually branches do not grow underneath the main bough so try to give your model mounds of foliage sat on the main branches. It may be neccessary to give a final spray of Scenefix glue through the atomiser to help keep everything in place. I also recommend giving the undersides of the canopy a light spray with black paint to give the impression of the shade underneath the structure.

All trees are different, there are no set rules when it comes to styling a tree. If you follow the above example though you will get the best results from a TREEMENDUS tree kit.

Thanks for taking the time to read this SBS demo. I hope it will encourage some of you to have a go yourselves. Anybody wishing to purchase a Tree Kit should go to the TREEMENDUS website for further details. www.treemendusmodels.co.uk

Ant - TREEMENDUS.

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 12:17 PM UTC
To answer your question- an ejector pin mark a small discs (sometimes raised, sometimes imprented) on the plastic surface caused by the pins that push out the plastic sprue from the molding machine. To remove them, shave them away with your knife/ sand them off if they are raised. If they are indented, you have no choice but to fill them with thick super glue or putty and sand them flush.

However, because of the snow, you cant see the ejector pin marks on your links. So far, it looks great.
TREEMENDUS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hey, cheers Jon

Hopefully I hid most of them ? I take it you're a drummer too?

Ant
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2009 - 01:27 AM UTC
Amazing tutorial on how to make the trees Anthony! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Certainly looks like a lot of work though, not for the faith hearted I guess!
 _GOTOTOP