_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
DML Wiking at Kovel 1944
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 08:33 AM UTC
Dragon’s newest 1/35 figure set depicts members of the Wiking SS division at Kovel 1944.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 09:35 AM UTC
Let's see....

Cherkassy
Tank Riders 1943-44
Leningrad overcoats

Nice selection of Germans in Winter weather!
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 10:50 AM UTC
The details look really nice, and no one is pointing.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 10:58 AM UTC
Action,action and more action.

The detailing is very nice and the faces seem to be better detailed.

Thanks DML ,very nice

Michael
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 11:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The details look really nice, and no one is pointing.

Well one guy is using his rifle to point but yes good that we have no pointing fingers
I like these figures and it is one German set I will pick up.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 11:37 AM UTC
I really like these "in combat" poses dragon is giving us lately. Sure beats the boring "smoke break stand around and twiddle our thumbs" sets we saw for a season. The 3 standing have some good tension...but the forth could use some work to make him a bit more dynamic.
good looking set....I wonder if the ammo belts will be dragons traditional hard as heck to clean up parts that comes on their MG sets

overall...looks great..ill be getting one!
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:10 PM UTC
I have been EXTREMELY impressed with the latest figures coming from DML. I have built two of the four German Tank Riders in winter gear (kit# 6513), and I would put them up against any Alpine figure. I know I will catch flak for that statement, but they are THAT good! It took Dragon a while, but they did it.

My only complaint is that there are usually 2 good poses or subjects, and two, not so good. In this case the Machine Gunner and the guy kneeling would be my picks. At least in this set, they are all wearing similar uniform styles.

...but that's just me... Thanks for posting this item Pat.
Mark Lopiccola
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 04:36 PM UTC
Awesome. Appears to be really nice detail . These are going to be a fine addition to any Dio.
milvehfan
preusse
Visit this Community
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2009 - 08:51 PM UTC
Did you ever try to fire a MG-42 / MG-3 from the hip?? He must press his left hand on top of the MG because during firing it will spring up.
By the way very nice figures.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 09:44 AM UTC
Nice-looking set. I agree on the combat poses. They poses connect, and even the pointing figure is a breath of fresh air in the sea of finger-pointing chaps. It just screams "get some supressing fire over there, we're moving out!" The only thing that strikes to me as odd is the ammo carrier, the pose doesn't quite flow with the rest of the scene that well. Looks more like his taking brief break than being in the middle of combat.

But on the MG42 fired from the hip, I remembered seeing video about, and found after some googling: Sturmfeuer MG-42.
I think I'll go looking for a figure for replacement arm to get him grip the bipod.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 03:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been EXTREMELY impressed with the latest figures coming from DML. I have built two of the four German Tank Riders in winter gear (kit# 6513), and I would put them up against any Alpine figure. I know I will catch flak for that statement, but they are THAT good!Mark Lopiccola

Hi, Mark, I'm about to publish my review of that set, and my one complaint is with the "generic" boots they're wearing. I'm still looking into this, but my sources show most German grunts in WW II wearing the ankle-length, lace-up boot, and not the felt-lined boots the Waffen SS got. But the kit has all four "generic" tank riders with boots without laces.

But yes, the molding is getting better and better, and this isn't even a Gen. 2 set.
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 08, 2009 - 07:52 PM UTC
Nice looking set indeed!
It's just that the MG-gunner looks totally off.
If you handle a MG like that, you will lean "into it", otherwise the fired rounds will end up anywhere blowing holes in the air. The moment you pull the trigger you will loose balance.
The stance has to be much more "crouched" with the torso leaning forward and arms more pressed into the body... if you know what I mean.
The ammocarrier could use more dynamics too, in order to fit in with this set.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 01:49 AM UTC
Love the set and will pick one up. That said I hope the MG42 gunner's left hand is made of asbestos 'cause those barrels get smokin' hot.
Shaun
Negrillo
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 54 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 10:01 PM UTC
They`re Waffen-SS so they will probably sell like hot cakes !

However I`m not too sure about the MG-42 gunner firing this weapon from the "assault position" the rate of fire & recoil from the fired MG-42 would send him flat on his back !

It would be better to replace the MG-42 with an MG-34 which had a slower rate of fire and was therefore quite capable of being "fired on the move" than the MG-42 which was basically only controllable when being fired from the "prone" position .
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2009 - 10:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

They`re Waffen-SS so they will probably sell like hot cakes !

However I`m not too sure about the MG-42 gunner firing this weapon from the "assault position" the rate of fire & recoil from the fired MG-42 would send him flat on his back !

It would be better to replace the MG-42 with an MG-34 which had a slower rate of fire and was therefore quite capable of being "fired on the move" than the MG-42 which was basically only controllable when being fired from the "prone" position .

As already pointed out by Eetu Tahvonen in his post with the link he gave , and by watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebJOT95Gh3k&feature=related it is possible to fire from another position other than prone.

Obviously its not going to be accurate over great distance but probably in the close quarters street fighting the box art shows it's not an issue. Although I have to say to my mind it only looks like he's holding the gun in that position but not actually firing, as there is another soldier just to the front of him. More like he's about to move to another position as indicated by the figure with binoculars, but keeping the weapon held so it can be fired if need be. A moment in time rather than a defined position.

Anyway, they are releasing more than I can afford to buy or have time to make these days

Alan
Galwitz
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 01:30 AM UTC
The set looks nice. I’m bit confused with the name though. IIRC the fighting over Kovel occurred in March/April 1944. I remember seeing a newsreel and there was still a good amount of snow on the ground. Soldiers wore winter clothes and many tanks and APCs carried field applied white-wash. The set however represents rather warmer weather uniforms…

Just a thought, I’ve been proven wrong before.

-A-
martyncrowther
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,548 posts
Armorama: 1,407 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2009 - 02:02 AM UTC
This looks a nice set, I just dont like the box art behind it, it looks like Egypt or something.
 _GOTOTOP