_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Miniart WW2 Drivers Set
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:39 AM UTC
MiniArt Limited have sent us images of their latest work in progress, a set of WW2 drivers.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:51 AM UTC
A very nice and very useful set. A must have.

Hisham
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 06:52 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the heads up. Interesting, but I'm not sure I would necessarily want a mixed set!! I would like to see them develop this idea around a 4/5 figure set for each genre which form a personal point of view would be more useful.

Nice to see a British Driver in there, now all we need are some Trucks lol, lol.

I like the idea of a driver, one getting in/out of the vehicle and/or standing on the running board, but as I say the mixed set is not going to be that useful to all, so would I want to purchase it for one figure?

Still a step in the right direction, a women driver would be good for the Tilly !!

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:21 AM UTC
This looks to be a very promising set, however as Alan said will people buy the set when they are only after the British figure (just as an example).
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice to see a British Driver in there, now all we need are some Trucks lol, lol.

I like the idea of a driver, one getting in/out of the vehicle and/or standing on the running board, but as I say the mixed set is not going to be that useful to all, so would I want to purchase it for one figure?

Still a step in the right direction, a women driver would be good for the Tilly !!

Al

Al given the lack of popularity and lack of availibility of British and Commonwealth vehicles it should be easy enough to trade for the British driver. Interesting to see that he has the correct webbing pouches for a driver- on the box art anyway.
jabo6
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
Armorama: 152 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 12:52 PM UTC
Nice to see a mixed set as i build both winners and losers, Iwill be getting a couple of boxes, just hope they fit in the vehicles as they all seem to be posed in an opel blitz or is it just my old eyesight
TeeKay
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 02:34 PM UTC
I think the mixed set is a good idea. I have a mix collection of Allied and German vehicles, so the mixed driver set comes in just nice.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
I think it's a great idea to have a mix like this. German drivers are always handy as I am sure most us have a few Opel Blitz kits in the ol' stash! (plus Mercedes L3000 and 4500's) The officer on the running boards is awesome, British driver is great. Not sure if I'll use the Russians much as I don't have much Russian armour, I may throw him in an old Russian truck I have. All in all a useful set - I am sure many people will play "tradesies" with this set. Wonder if the German will fit in a Kubel or other staff car?
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 04:21 PM UTC
Hi all,
An interesting set of figures, a'la the ancient Italeri Allied Truck Drivers set.
Could that British/Commonwealth driver indicate something in the works from MiniArt ???
The Russians should prove handy to populate your Studebaker trucks or the YA-12 Artillery Tractors that MiniArt and Trumpeter are supposed to release.
The two Germans and the American won't go unused either.
Cheers for the update

jjumbo
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:30 PM UTC
Great set! Although I would have preferred two Brits and two Yanks... But certainly a step in the right direction!

Cheerio!
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:50 PM UTC
Whilst I would have prefered a seperate set for each nationality I generally just put all my figure parts into their respective containers and pull out the right arm to go with the right torso and right legs etc anyway so the russian legs would still come in handy with a little modification into german legs.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 07:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Could that British/Commonwealth driver indicate something in the works from MiniArt ???

In a word - yes.... Watch this space....
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Monday, December 21, 2009 - 08:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

In a word - yes.... Watch this space....

OOOH, that's encouraging Jim !!
Thanks for that tid-bit of info !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al

Al given the lack of popularity and lack of availibility of British and Commonwealth vehicles it should be easy enough to trade for the British driver. Interesting to see that he has the correct webbing pouches for a driver- on the box art anyway.

Hi Pat,

I have to diagree. My more British Trucks thread had over 10,000 hits but you kinda missed my point. Even with the limited range of British Trucks currently available I would prefer options on the crew not one option of one driver. There are resin as well as plastic trucks and all need crews. A much preferable option would be a couple of desert crew and a couple of NWE crew for inside and outside the vehicles, drivers and those loading/unloading the vehicles, mounting, dismounting etc as the box art shows.

I Imagine the same could be said for the American and other genres, their trucks need more crewmen too.

This set has the feel of the token Brit/Yank figure which is a trend I had hoped manufacturers were moving away from, and as Jim points out the first new plastic injection 1.35 truck may be rolling off the production line sooner than expected, and I know of at least 2 more manufacturers who have shown an interest in British Softskins recently!!!

Also drivers can have other uses and any opportunity to increase the stock of available Plastic Brits is an opportunity not to be missed.

Always living in hope.

Al
tigerproductions
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 05:51 AM UTC
Pat, very nice set from this company.

Please informed them that they should follow this set up with a mixed set of casualties.

Don't be afraid, give us some dead guys to play with and put on the dioramas.

A mixed set would be fine.

People will buy them.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 09:57 AM UTC
Hopefully this mix set will open the gates to more specialized sets of each nationality's driver figures.
Hopefully they will fit the vehicles without too much cutting and reanimating.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 05:39 AM UTC
A very useful set of figures & I have to agree a mixed set of casualties would be nice also. milvehfan
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 09:49 AM UTC
I'm going to be a prat here and argue symantics, but I wish they wouldn't call this set "World War II Drivers". Surely "WWII Drivers: ETO (1)" or something similar would have been better given (1) JimR's implication that there will be more of the same later, and (2) that these only represent 4 groups of ETO based armies (i.e. these are not representative of MTO or PTO).

My being an anal bastard aside, it's a set with potential. As always, with any figure set, some figures appear more useful to some than others to, well, others. Don't expect these figure set fit all vehicles first time, and don't gripe about it either. It's a generic set of figures, so expect to have to modifiy them for a more perfect fit.

Lastly, is really necesasry to turn every single news article or review into a wishlist?

Rudi
Finch
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm going to be a prat here and argue symantics, but I wish they wouldn't call this set "World War II Drivers". Surely "WWII Drivers: ETO (1)" or something similar would have been better...

Well, probably neither the Red Army nor the germans considered themselves part of the "ETO", so that title would only work for the US and British figures. Also I am not sure what about the US figure doesn't fit in with the MTO - it gets cold in the mountains of Italy too.

I love this set and I anticipate buying a few and then doing a LOT of trading !!! I am not interested in the British driver nor the German on the running board but I'll swap 'em to get more US and Soviet guys.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm going to be a prat here and argue symantics, but I wish they wouldn't call this set "World War II Drivers". Surely "WWII Drivers: ETO (1)" or something similar would have been better...

Well, probably neither the Red Army nor the germans considered themselves part of the "ETO", so that title would only work for the US and British figures. Also I am not sure what about the US figure doesn't fit in with the MTO - it gets cold in the mountains of Italy too.

I love this set and I anticipate buying a few and then doing a LOT of trading !!! I am not interested in the British driver nor the German on the running board but I'll swap 'em to get more US and Soviet guys.

Hehe, fair enough, Danny

I too am not all that interested in the Brit. I don't find the pose all that interesting, nor that of the RKKA driver operating the 2 levers. The Yank is terrific though, but I do like the running board German.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:21 AM UTC
I wouldn't sound too pedantic if I wished they'd have included an African-American Driver in that set - would I???
nolifoto
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:14 AM UTC
Many years ago I expressed my frustration with the lack of figures to man our armored vehicles. This is now being answered by Miniart and other manufacturers. The figures by Miniart looks great. I hope others will follow. Now our armor will be alive with these figures
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Lastly, is really necesasry to turn every single news article or review into a wishlist?

Rudi

Hi Rudi,

No, I simply expressed my preference, and comments on the set. This unfortunately is not a set I would buy as 4 of the figures would be of little interest to me, where as a similar set by nationality would.

Al
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 01:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rudi,

No, I simply expressed my preference, and comments on the set. This unfortunately is not a set I would buy as 4 of the figures would be of little interest to me, where as a similar set by nationality would.

Al

Al,

The comment was a general one, and not aimed at anyone in particular... just saying...

Rudi
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi Rudi,

Got ya, no worries. The set, as can be seen form the other posts, will be welcome and useful to many. I like the poses and general concept just not enough in it for me personally.

I've been watching the MiniArt figures develop and their general generic useability is very good, which is a major plus to modellers.as are their separate vehicle crew issues.

Like MB they are offering subjects that most modellers can adapt to their needs. I used their German Tank Repair Crew as Civilian Dockers, so I'm actually a bit fan of their work as I think they are getting the right mix of interesting and generic poses.

It goes without saying I'm delighted at their recent Commonwealth Releases and also their planned future releases, which finally put some generic British Sets on the table after 30 years plus in the wilderness

What's even more exciting is the mention of a possible new British Softskin and if they have Russian, German and American drivers, well their might be some trucks/cars to follow there too, who knows!

Cheers

Al
 _GOTOTOP