_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Echelon New Camo nets and Decals
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 09:54 PM UTC
Echelon Fine Details have just sent us their latest list of new releases for a wide variety of 1/35th and 1/48 scale vehicles including Modern Camouflage Nets.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:12 PM UTC
Looks nice.

Just wish the instructions were not covered by the picture of the item.

And also looks to be a hair puller to use but overall the effect must be great as what I can see.

Thanks for the review.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC
Very nice sets as always.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
Great to see! Anyone know if the Modern Camo nets would have been seen on British Challenger 2's during Operation Telic...?

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:40 AM UTC
Kinda the same question ,but does anyone know which type the Canadians are using in Afghanistan?
This post was removed.
cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 01:46 PM UTC
I recently tried to use the brown/green (D356073).

I was not happy with it whatsoever. Echelon makes good stuff for sure, but this product just isn't up to the standard. I followed the directions to a "T", but despite multiple tries, I was unable to get the decal to work properly. The first try resulted in a perfectly flat net. It never opened up after drying. Several tries after that, all resulted in the decal not releasing from the wax paper after step 7. I tried different amounts of talcum powder, hairdryer and none, but no matter what, the decal ALWAYS tore during separation from the wax paper. I tired different sizes of decal to see if that helped, and yes, the smaller it was, the easier it was to work with, but a scale 2 foot square net is NOT realistic. I will be attempting some sort of other method for netting. Unfortunately, this was $20 down the drain.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I recently tried to use the brown/green (D356073).

I was not happy with it whatsoever. Echelon makes good stuff for sure, but this product just isn't up to the standard. I followed the directions to a "T", but despite multiple tries, I was unable to get the decal to work properly. The first try resulted in a perfectly flat net. It never opened up after drying. Several tries after that, all resulted in the decal not releasing from the wax paper after step 7. I tried different amounts of talcum powder, hairdryer and none, but no matter what, the decal ALWAYS tore during separation from the wax paper. I tired different sizes of decal to see if that helped, and yes, the smaller it was, the easier it was to work with, but a scale 2 foot square net is NOT realistic. I will be attempting some sort of other method for netting. Unfortunately, this was $20 down the drain.

Thanks for summarizing your experiences with Echelon nets. I was thinking of getting them a while back but decided I should instead try to make my own Barracuda as explained on the Swedish IPMS site.

Mario
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
As I recently finished a project which includes the modern camo net I thought to give my 2 cents.
James described pretty much what I think about the Echelonīs set. I bought two sheets to have enough material and still was not satisfied with the result. At one point I though I was going to leave it on the kit, but finally decided to use the Eduardīs PE instead. You can compare before and after...
(Despite both the Echelon and Eduard offers the nets in tan colour they are overpainted on the model)

BEFORE:

AFTER:

cahilj
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 02:29 AM UTC
Jiri-
Which Eduard PE set did you use? It looks very similar to the modern US netting, but I haven't been able to find it.
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Friday, May 25, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jiri-
Which Eduard PE set did you use? It looks very similar to the modern US netting, but I haven't been able to find it.

It is set no. 36154, I think itīs called Barracuda Netting Desert. However it was overpainted with several shades of tan enamel.
 _GOTOTOP