_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Color Modulation - WWII Russian Tanks
londonchris1970
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, February 05, 2010 - 09:46 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I haven't been modelling for nearly 20 years and I have only been recently back on track. I have been very impressed by the "New dry brushing" technique that most of you call the color modulation technique. I have viewed/ read Adam Wilder articles and have also read other articles from modellers.

Now, I am mostly if not uniquely at this time modelling WWII Russian tanks.
Could anyone help me chose the colors and right amount to paint a decent Russian green on T series/ JS series and SU series.
I exclusively use Tamiya and Vallejo. Even if recently I have been using more of a French maker called Pebeo.

Please let me know as having a system in place would help me build from there and not jeopardize my models.

Regards

Chris
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 02:04 AM UTC
Well, I cannot tell you specific paint colors but...

...go with a good dark green. I know, it is cliche, but Soviet paint color was not uniform. Batch to batch changed and quality control was not very strict...they had bigger problems to deal with. I would say that Russian green tended to be more green than brown (the US had a more brown version with their OD).

I often use Tamiya's Olive Drab for my dark undercoat and their Khaki drab for the main color. I then apply a filter or overspray of a "greener" green to make it less brown.

londonchris1970
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 21 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I cannot tell you specific paint colors but...

...go with a good dark green. I know, it is cliche, but Soviet paint color was not uniform. Batch to batch changed and quality control was not very strict...they had bigger problems to deal with. I would say that Russian green tended to be more green than brown (the US had a more brown version with their OD).

I often use Tamiya's Olive Drab for my dark undercoat and their Khaki drab for the main color. I then apply a filter or overspray of a "greener" green to make it less brown.

OK - I shall have a think into that... I have just painted 3 Russian models and being very disapointed with the effects on color modulation, i have damped them in a mixture of my own to strip them from paint...
I think I will patent my paint stripping mix... and post on that later on tonight... The effect on removing paint is second to none.
This week end, back to the paint workshop...
Will post photos of my work :-)
Kiyatkin
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 291 posts
Armorama: 284 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please let me know as having a system in place would help me build from there and not jeopardize my models.

Chris, This is off topic, but I think you have to be willing to jeopardize your models to often get the more interesting effects.
Dmitry
 _GOTOTOP