_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
German Cossacks from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:16 PM UTC
Dragon Models have just announced their latest, 1/35th scale figure set: 6588 - German Don Cossack Balkans 1944 the set is being released under DML's 39-45 Range with weapons and equipment from Gen II. The full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
I have the first set of DML cossacks which are quite good all things considered, and these look as if these will be good company. I have found it hard work to find ref for the figures if anyone knows of a good place to look.
Shakermaker
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
They look fine but I would rather see something new/different cos there is already DML kit of German Cossacks .. maybe ss troops in battle of Berlin (Charlemagne div.)?
muchachos
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 10:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look fine but I would rather see something new/different cos there is already DML kit of German Cossacks .. maybe ss troops in battle of Berlin (Charlemagne div.)?

Maybe Russian cossacks?
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC
Happy Dance
Shakermaker
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Maybe Russian cossacks?

Exactly, russian cossack is great idea
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 09:39 AM UTC
DML already have Russian cossacks in their catalogue.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC
Rudi are you sure about that as I have never seen them. I have seen Russian Cossacks from Zvesda and Italeri.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rudi are you sure about that as I have never seen them. I have seen Russian Cossacks from Zvesda and Italeri.

I was fairly certain they did a set in the 90's, I guess I was thinking of the Zvezda Soviet Cossacks set. FWIW one of the figures is the last DML German Cossack set can be used a Red Cossack.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 04:26 PM UTC
I will take a closer look as I have the Zvesda set and the early DML one. I was going to do a review of the DML cossacks, but have found very little information in order to say what is or is not correct. The horses are nicely done though.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:20 PM UTC
I've got the DML Premium Cossack set which is the two German Cossack's with a Gen 2 equipment set.

I've also got the Zvezda set and as far as I can tell they're pretty much the same.

As far as I know a lot of Cossacks fought on the German side but kept their own identity, I don't think there were any actual German Cossacks, just Russian ones fighting for the Germans. But I'm happy to stand corrected, I haven't looked into in depth yet as I'm still trying to work out the best way to use them.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:46 PM UTC
From what I have found searching the web the only differance between Russian and German Cossacks is that the German Cossacks wore a German uniform tunic. That said I cannot find a definitive answer on that which is why I have not done a review as yet.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 05:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I was fairly certain they did a set in the 90's, I guess I was thinking of the Zvezda Soviet Cossacks set. FWIW one of the figures is the last DML German Cossack set can be used a Red Cossack.

Zvezda and DML both have already done Cossack kits. The Zvezda kit is a set of two Russian Cossacks in an action pose. The horses have alternate posing options. DML did a German Cossacks kit that featured two POA Cossacks in a "ready to ride" mode. Of course, either kit could be modified to make them POA German Cossacks or Red Army Cossacks, as only personal equipment and insignia would need to be switched. HTH.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 07:43 PM UTC
Julian I believe you are thinking of the Italeri set, as there are four figures in the Zvezda set. The Italeri and Zvezda set do look very similar excluding the number of figures. Can you supply pictures in support that the tunics were the same? I do know that the Germans had supported Cossacks since the start of the WW1 in the Don area.

All that aside I still think this is another good set of Cossacks.
Demchenko
Vendor
BRAVO-6
Visit this Community
Rostov, Russia
KitMaker: 230 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 08:21 PM UTC
It`s so pitty that DML again makes these German collaborators.
Uniform of Red Cossacks was very special and interesting, depending from type of Cossacks (Kuban,Terek or Don). Pre-war uniform was based on tradional Cossacks suits, war era unifrom was more army standard,Cossack had own traditional trousers and different traditional hats.
For conversion this set for Red Army neccessery resculpt German tunics overall.
Reconstruction of some RKKA Cossacks uniform is here
http://rkka.ru/iuniform.htm
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 12, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
A very good ref site, thank you Demchenko
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Julian I believe you are thinking of the Italeri set, as there are four figures in the Zvezda set. The Italeri and Zvezda set do look very similar excluding the number of figures. Can you supply pictures in support that the tunics were the same? I do know that the Germans had supported Cossacks since the start of the WW1 in the Don area.

All that aside I still think this is another good set of Cossacks.

Hey Darren, you are right - It was an Italeri kit. I got confused because the horse stands still have the Zvezda stamp on the bottom...so I guess the Italeri kit is just two figures from the Zvezda 4 pack.

I really like the pose of the guy standing in the DML kit.
DZgonnik
Visit this Community
Kyyv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From what I have found searching the web the only differance between Russian and German Cossacks is that the German Cossacks wore a German uniform tunic. That said I cannot find a definitive answer on that which is why I have not done a review as yet.

They have also:
Wehrmacht eagle and Germanic national cockade on papaha(hat),
specific collar patches and arm-chevrons (by germanic design for cossacks), german heavy cavalry boots.
(Sorry for my bad English)
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 12:21 PM UTC
D.M.L. did two sets of Cavalry. Kit # 6046 was German cavarly division (Florian Geyer) and the other was kit # 6065, German cossack cavarly, they who fought for the Germans. Each has two riders and horses. The Zvezda Kit has four riders and horses of the red army, kit #3579. It includes painting guide for three different cossack units who fought for Russia. Finding referance is next to impossable but the Russian cossacks fought in the battle of Moscow and knowing they would be sacraficed, charged anyway. Of the estimated 40 thousand that attacked, 30 thousand died in the charge against the German armored units. You can alter the horses in the Zvezda kit by scribing the horse at the cinch strap, seperating the front from the back and attaching one cut from another horse.After it sets, it matchs up to the othe side with no filler needed. As I bought two sets for my dio, I had to alter the horses so I wouldn't have two of each stance. Now I need another set to fill in the edges of the dio. There is a total differance between the D.M.L. and Zvezda sets. Darren, if your interested I'll send you pics( via e-mail/ still having problems with pics sent to armorama) of the altered horses so you can see the changes. Did not think about it but you could change the front half too for even more choices in horse stance.
DZgonnik
Visit this Community
Kyyv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They have also:
Wehrmacht eagle and Germanic national cockade on papaha(hat),
specific collar patches and arm-chevrons (by germanic design for cossacks), german heavy cavalry boots.
(Sorry for my bad English)

Though sometimes they might have german collar patches also:
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/uploads/39755/kazakimmm.jpg
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
The old DML Cossacks Set consisted of two horse and rider sets. One wears the German Field Tunic while the other wears the Cherkeska coat. That set was released back in the 90s about the same time as the DML Florian Geyor Set and the Italeri Cossack Set. As an aside, the Italeri and Zvezda Sets are basically the same kit. The difference is Zvezda used better styrene, looks to have cleaned up the molds, and has doubled their set's parts allowing the buyer to make four mounts/riders instead of the two in the Italeri set.

I also would have preferred to have seen some new figures instead of variations of existing catalog items.
 _GOTOTOP