_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML Announce Two New 1/35th AFVs
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:23 PM UTC
Dragon Models are continuing to take maximum advantage of their existing models to produce NEW variants of two good subjects - the Pz.Kpfw. III Ausf. F and the U.S. M21Mortar Carrier. The full report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

flipper21
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 268 posts
Armorama: 144 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hi Jim, What is slide molding?
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim, What is slide molding?

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/academics/course.offerings/hillm/MYWEB7/Action/SLIDE/Slide-Basic.htm

This is a cool little animation as to how a slide mold can work. In general, it allows more details to be added where a traditional 2 half mold process cannot replicate shapes/details and whatnot.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
OMG, a new Panzer III!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Not only that Bill but it's an early war Ausf F with the 3.7cm gun! This one's been promised for a looooooong time, glad to see it finally seeing the light of day!
Dodger013
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
Well it's about freaking time DML! Been waiting for a new early PZ III for awhile now...Please do the same for the early StuG models...
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 09:01 AM UTC
They look like great kits, but Alas More WWII stuff. . Sure woudl like to see some modern stuff from them. They tease us with Great Abrams and then not a modern kit one since. How about upsizing all of the Humvee's. That would be sooooo nice.

Herky
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not only that Bill but it's an early war Ausf F with the 3.7cm gun! This one's been promised for a looooooong time, glad to see it finally seeing the light of day!

I'm glad to see it, too, but I guess with the CH F that's on the market for 1/2 the price....
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC
Strangely enough, that Pz III attracts me a lot more that the M21...
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah, I was thinking that too... Maybe the M21 is not what we're waiting for. It is not one of the most produced versions of the US Halftrack... Personally I already have the Tamiya one which I planned to update with leftovers from the other 6 Dragon Halftracks I already have. So I probably won't get the M21.

What I'm really waiting for is the M15... And of course the 75mm pack howitzer version, and the (lend-lease) 57mm armed version and the M5 and M9... Here's hoping...

Cheers!
Stefan

PS: No I don't care at all for the Pz III F...

EDIT: Apparently I missed out on the "me" in Jim's post...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...(lend-lease) 57mm armed version and the M5 and M9...

I share your pain - unfortunately, I doubt if we'll ever see them. The M9 would require a completely new (IH) H/T which is VERY different from the M2 & M3. Frankly, from a commercial point of view, it would make little sense.

spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How about upsizing all of the Humvee's. That would be sooooo nice.

Herky

that would be like a dream come true
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm glad to see it, too, but I guess with the CH F that's on the market for 1/2 the price....

The CH kit is the old Imperial Series kit, with all of its baggage, and that's why it's available at 1/2 the price. You truly are getting what you pay for in that kit. Seeing this one as a brand-new Smart Kit is welcome indeed. I hope it's a signal that the long term strategy for the III family through the Ausf H and the early StuG IIIs as well is in the works. One can always hope!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They look like great kits, but Alas More WWII stuff. . Sure woudl like to see some modern stuff from them. They tease us with Great Abrams and then not a modern kit one since. How about upsizing all of the Humvee's. That would be sooooo nice.

Herky

How about upsizing their 1/72 Bradleys. They look great in small scale and we could definitely use a few new 1/35 Brads.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 04:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope it's a signal that the long term strategy for the III family through the Ausf H and the early StuG IIIs as well is in the works. One can always hope!

I'm actually more interested in seeing the mid- or late-Stug III Gs. I would like to Zim a Stug III, but based on the research you pointed me towards, the current DML kits (6320 or the skirted version, 6365) would require some modifications to be mid- or late-releases, which were the Zimmed Stug III Gs. I have the mid-G barrel & mantle in the upgrades bin, but there are things that I wouldn't know how to do without scratchbuilding, which is not my thing.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 08:06 AM UTC
I'm sure it will happen Bill, DML tends to go with the most popular variants in the series first and then releases some of the others in the family interspersed once they've made the necessary profit off the parent molds. They are now moving into territory only available in the Imperial Series line of kits and that's ground they haven't been over since the early 1990s.
pzcreations
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,106 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 04, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
funny how these new release announcements tend to turn into a "but what about releasing this" thread
tatbaqui
Staff MemberNews Writer
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 2,713 posts
Armorama: 2,451 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow -- finally it progressed into box-art stage! IIRC I saw it in their catalog around 05. Probably another more year???
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, big surprise, I'm more interested in the M21. I never got around to getting the M4 81mm motor carrier, so this one will fill the missing void. I'm also hoping for an M15 but I have enough kits in the stash so I can be patient.

canuck63
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:42 AM UTC
I've been waiting for a new-tool early "third"(I'm working on an "old" E btw,and I'm having a hell of a time!) for a looooooooooong time and this one was announced no less than three years ago but....aren't those road wheels of the later type ?This detail alone puts me off a bit ...I sure will get one and will cast the older type wheels in resin but it would have been nice to have them included in the first place !!
Reworked E/F or E/F brought to G standards or even E/F/G brought to H standards had mantlets and guns replaced first rollers moved forward,later road wheels fitted and so on and so forth....this F definitely could and would have used a new set of wheels to be 100% an F or to enable the modeler to easily retrofit it to E standards but looks like we cannot have everything....can we?
Oh...yes...the mortar-carrying thingy....what a waste of styrene!
Cheers
Manny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh...yes...the mortar-carrying thingy....what a waste of styrene!

Why exactly?
canuck63
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 96 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 02:15 AM UTC
For starters Idon't like M3 Half-tracks the least and I've expressed my opinion about the release of yet another one of these rolling cornbeef cans when there could have been more interesting subjects...the mortar-carrier is even lamer than the rest of the series (I like mortars even less!).excepting,maybe,the one with the flat bed and the 20mm guns(or were they forty?) and the water cooled 0.50!IIRC Steve Zaloga built a very nice model of this rare variant and it sure would have been much more interesting!
It amuzes how you've focused your attention on the fact that I wasn't impressed by the M21...at the very begininning of this thread you invited members to post their comments and I've posted mine,thank you for asking though!
Cheers
Manny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It amuzes how you've focused your attention on the fact that I wasn't impressed by the M21...at the very begininning of this thread you invited members to post their comments and I've posted mine,thank you for asking though!

It was simply curiousity. Personally, the M21 wouldn't have been MY choice of a release. It's good its coming though - just another possibility.
calvin_ng
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
I would'nt see it as a "waste of styrene". There have been the same releases of Panzer I, II, III, IV and so forth, but we're finally seeing a DECENT mortar carrier kit in like how many years? Dont get me wrong though, i love panzers just as much as the next guy, just seems that the halftrack is alot more interesting and welcome release
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Given that the tracks shown for the F are the narrower type, I'm witholding judgement on the roadwheels until an actual kit is available to check. Knowing that DML occasionally shows 3D CAD drawings in the release announcements that don't always match up with the actual kit contents, it's quite possible this one will have the earlier narrow types to go with the track type they are including. Of course they list them as 38cm track so they may have just thrown in the tracks they used on the early Pz IV "Super Kits" and kept the wider wheels from the Pz III J kits...hard to know for sure until it's released.
 _GOTOTOP