_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New JagdPanther from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Dragon Models have just announced their latest Panther Variant: 6494 - Jagdpanther Early Production with Zimmerit. The first images of it can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC
I ordered the previous early version without zimmerit yesterday. Figures.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 03:41 AM UTC
The savings on Zim alone would help defray the cost of Friuls! Nice.

Damn DS tracks, so it'll need Friuls. Grrrrrr.
Battleship_Al
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered the previous early version without zimmerit yesterday. Figures.

HA, me too. It should be in the mail today. Also ordered a resin zimmerit kit for it. Oh well, that's how it goes.
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC
Me thinks you guys are O.K.

The early jadgpanther has the square zimmerit pattern if I remember correctly. I purchased a DML panther A late (without zimmerit). I applied zimmerit myself. I used squadron green putty. I applied about a square inch at a time, then let it hard for a few minutes or so. I would then score the pattern I wanted on the putty. Squadron's putty shrunk and formed a very very nice square pattern. It did not look like scored putty at all.

I dont have a camera right now, but I'll try to post pics soon. Anyways, adding your own zimmerit isnt hard at all or that time consuming. I wont preach about how it is more artistic or all of that bla bla about individualism of doing it yourself.

I look for these in a kit (assuming accuracy and no fit issues):

individual track links
metal barrel (if long enough)
photo etch to keep me busy

Recently, I have gotten a few kits with just magic track, and ordered barrels and PE to fit my personal tastes. The jadgpanther you two have ordered have magic tracks, which is half the battle. You could still get a metal barrel. If you are crazy, you could get some PE too, but I think both versions are sufficient. So....

keep the kits you ordered
-apply own zimmerit
-order metal barrel

get new kits
-order new tracks
-order metal barrel

Its up to you. I would be happier if I had the older version on order rather than the newer.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
You knew it was only a matter of time before we got this one I enjoyed the Tiger I+II and the Panther D , so I will probably get this one too !!
spitfire303
Visit this Community
Vendee, France
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC
I have the first version with magic tracks, atak resin zimmerit set and the mega PE set from voyager, won't be getting this one for sure and I'm happy about this.

DS tracks for a panther have they lost their mind
gabo
Visit this Community
Veracruz, Mexico
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
Yeah! I love the Jagdpanther... I have the 6458 with magic tracks. DS tracks are fine but I think the first ones are superb!!... Maybe Dragon are taking "ears" to some reviewers such K. Sewell who always complain for magic tracks.

Please Dragon No DS tracks for big cats!!!!... maybe for smaller tanks but not for those Tigers, Panthers, etc.. etc...

anny comment??..

regards.

Gabo.
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah! I love the Jagdpanther... I have the 6458 with magic tracks. DS tracks are fine but I think the first ones are superb!!... Maybe Dragon are taking "ears" to some reviewers such K. Sewell who always complain for magic tracks.

Please Dragon No DS tracks for big cats!!!!... maybe for smaller tanks but not for those Tigers, Panthers, etc.. etc...

anny comment??..

regards.

Gabo.

More DS tracks...

They suit allied armor because the links don't have sag; German armor tracks are live on the other hand.
Dodger013
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Was already set with the original w/ Atak zimm too but always good to have an already zimm applied version. I had really hoped they were making the Late G hull type when I first read the topic, but perhaps in time.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 11:06 PM UTC
I've just updated with the (Company Supplied) details...
cirujano
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

anny comment??..

regards.

Gabo.

yes i agree with you. no DS tracks. i preffer the magic tracks too.-
sergio laurenzano
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
Give me the DS tracks anytime over the magic tracks,I used them on the Elefant,Tiger I,and Panther D now.No complaints here,they work fine for me.

I'd rather have Friuls,but too much $$ too use all the time.
scgatgbi
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 267 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

anny comment??..

regards.

Gabo.

sergio laurenzano

Newbie/dumb question here. Why the DS vs magic tracks argument? What's the pro's and con's for both? I have not done a Dragon kit yet so I have no experience with either.
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Newbie/dumb question here. Why the DS vs magic tracks argument? What's the pro's and con's for both? I have not done a Dragon kit yet so I have no experience with either.

(1) DS tracks are quicker to assemble / handle. You can fit a pair of DS tracks in minutes but usually take hour(s) for Magic tracks depending on skill/experience.

(2) Detail level and feel. Magic tracks tend to be a touch more realistic then DS. It is more noticeable in Fruil metal tracks.

Regards
Paul
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hi all.
As far as I know, the barrel should be changed to the early "monopiece" barrel, insted of the two piece barrel included in the set.
And yes, DS tracks are NOT an improvement for Dragon. Maybe Dragon should consider to include both types of tracks.
Jacob
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

anny comment??..

regards.

Gabo.

sergio laurenzano

No arguments here,just my prefrence,I just like using the DS ones.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was already set with the original w/ Atak zimm too but always good to have an already zimm applied version. I had really hoped they were making the Late G hull type when I first read the topic, but perhaps in time.

Sorry, but isn't the late model already out?

Click here to read Armorama review of Late Jagdpanther/
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 05:52 AM UTC
I have to admit that it is a damn good idea that DML include both magi tracks and DS tracks as all camps would then be happy.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC
Dragon pursues a two-prong approach...they release the non-zim kit with Magic tracks for those looking to add their own zim by hand and/or go the resin route. The argument could be made that this kit is aimed at the more advanced modeler.

Then, later, they release the pre-zim kit with DS tracks. This is aimed at the more casual modeler.

They get more sales by appealing to a wider audience with essentially the same kit/vehicle type. Makes good business sense and is a pattern they've been applying now to several of the kits that do/don't require zim. In my view, you can't view them in isolation as each release is one side of the overall strategy coin when it comes to these types of releases.
cirujano
Visit this Community
Neuguen, Argentina
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all.
As far as I know, the barrel should be changed to the early "monopiece" barrel, insted of the two piece barrel included in the set.
And yes, DS tracks are NOT an improvement for Dragon. Maybe Dragon should consider to include both types of tracks.
Jacob

there are some G1 early with 2 pieces barrel. will be necessary check a photo of the JP before to build it... . i have some spare "monopice" barrel from another kits ,but i guess that dragon should include both type of barrel !!! .-
sergio laurenzano
Battleship_Al
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
But for the most part the PaK 43/3 88mm L/71 barrel is correct? This is what I ordered for my non-zimm Jagdpanther along with Atak resin zimm.

I have only used Magic Track one time but had no problems and really like the results. I am about to use DS Tracks for the first time on a Sherman. I think for the Sherman they are fine but think it would be difficult to get proper sag with DS on German tanks unless you glue to the wheels and sprocket.
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:04 AM UTC
Deleted due to constant attack by Steve Riley.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 - 09:55 AM UTC
Herbert, do you have the AM barrel makers arranged by monobloc and duobloc?

JBModel.eu has duobloc for both its Jagdpanther barrels, while Aber's only barrel is a monobloc.
milvehfan
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 - 02:09 PM UTC
I think this would be a Great little build for me, I like the DS Tracks, but really Dragon, should include both DS and The Magic Tracks in thier kits,
My 2cents worth, milvehfan .
 _GOTOTOP