_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
NEWS
MiniArt:: New Factory Building Kit
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
MiniArt Ltd. have just sent us details and images of their latest Building Kit in 1/35th scale which is: 35544 - Factory Corner with Steps. Details and images of this New set, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Outstanding I already have ideas!!!!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
I really like this one. Different from the usual plain building corners.

Will look very nice in dioramas.

Hisham
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 09:31 AM UTC
I promised myself I'd never get anothet miniart building but I might just reconsider now. Very nice ( and just what I'm looking for!)
jargonking
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
I've written to MiniArt suggesting a second version without the battle damage. This could be combined with multiple kits to produce a long factory facade for maybe a production line diorama or similar.
I'd also like to see them produce some dockside elements that could be similarly combined.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hi

Sorry but I think the stairs are just not right. The rendition of worn and damaged brickwork looks really good, some of the best Miniart has done, and the inside looks good as well but I don't think the way the stairs are supported and fixed to the building are correct.

Firstly the angled I beams look too big but more importantly they mount to the wall with no apparent fixing. Where do they go, through the wall to the other side? No. There is not visible supports or strengthening around where they fix to the wall. Standard brickwork would simply give way. It needs plates to spread the load or brick columns rising from the ground to support the downward loading, but at the angle shown the weight is being pushed into the wall not down through it anyway.

Also at such an angle they would push through the wall given the weight of the structure. It should have had legs going down to the floor not into the building. They could use the ones included in this kit.

I noticed Plus Models did something similar a while ago and they used what I regard as structural feasible for the supports.

Not so with Miniarts I'm afraid. Of course I'm happy to be proven wrong and if anybody has an example of a configuration the same please post .

Alan
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 11:29 AM UTC
Nice looking piece. As someone who can really appreciate nice looking brick work, I like it.

The stairs look fine to me. There are all sorts of different ways these things are attached in real life. If you feel that they need some sort of anchor or something on the inside of the wall that would be easy enough to do w/a few small scraps of styrene.

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 12:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are all sorts of different ways these things are attached in real life.
Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

True, but they all have to conform to the the laws of physics and structural integrity.
Given what Miniart are representing within the details depicted in this model it just wouldn't work.

Alan
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:42 PM UTC
Well, IMO it doesn't look too outlandish. No more so than this;

All I'm saying is that there are all sort of building codes and I don't believe the way they've done this kit is too odd to be believable. If the main thing you're concerned about is that there should be support plates that could be easily fixed w/some styrene, either on the inside or outside.

No biggie. I just thought it was nice looking piece. Cheers.

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Randy Pepprock
Dioramas Plus

True, but they all have to conform to the the laws of physics and structural integrity.
Given what Miniart are representing within the details depicted in this model it just wouldn't work.

Alan

retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 03:35 PM UTC
I like it and will buy it. I would like to do mine without the damage and that can be easily fixed with some plaster or Hydrocal. As for the steps all you gotta do is get some Plastruct or Evergreen I beams and place them where you think they would be structurally sound. Then they will look more supported.......it is not that big of a deal..............nice building..........Al
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 02:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very true ... but its still a good point by Alan. The chances that this would run through the brickwork would be minimal, as it would be conductor for damp, but as said already, a few bits of styrene could be added as support plates on the wall.
I also agree this is one of MiniArts better building. As their inventory of forms increases, more architecture and shape is included in the buildings. This is particularily nice IMO.
downtowndeco
Visit this Community
Montana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 02:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Very true ... but its still a good point by Alan. The chances that this would run through the brickwork would be minimal, as it would be conductor for damp, but as said already, a few bits of styrene could be added as support plates on the wall.
I also agree this is one of MiniArts better building. As their inventory of forms increases, more architecture and shape is included in the buildings. This is particularily nice IMO.

Gotta love that photo. Lead singer of one of the greatest bands of all time. Lemmy of Motorhead. I saw him at the Cathouse in Hollywood in 87. At the bar, with a drink in his hand. Big surprise. : ) Cheers.
andyevans
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 249 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
I agree, nice looking structure. Might have to invest in one myself.

My only criticism is that in this case their "generic" doors and window frames are a little limited here. I can see how they are maximising moulds but can we have a little variation please ?

Yeah, I know. I can sctratchbuild different doors and windows (and do) but I think it would improve the range considerably if Miniart did a few alternate sets of door & window sprues.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Miniart have filled a gap in the market (no pun intended)and I love them. Then again, I work in architecture, so I know how they are supposed to look.

Andy
Cookie
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 03:49 AM UTC
This building could be used in a diorama for a modern settng.
Detail looks amazing.
Cookie
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 - 11:19 PM UTC
I agree with Paul. If you build it undamaged it would fit in perfectly as a building in Cold War Germany........Al
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Heck, I was thinkin' it'd be great for a post apocalyptic diorama of my home town, The Bronx! Now we just need an iron "fire escape" typical for that region.

As to the "no visible means of support" theory --- looks okay to me, but a little Plastruct I-beam goes a long way...

I like that this structure is not tied to any particular region. Very cool! And yes, generic, undamaged buildings would be a nice choice as well.

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP