_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Tamiya at Shizuoka 2010
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 09:47 PM UTC
At the time of writing this, the annual Shizuoka Trade Fair is being held in Japan. Understandably, Tamiya is there - with a couple of New Armor-Related Releases which can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

jamesm
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 01:59 PM UTC
flat paneled hull is a step backwards
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 02:51 PM UTC
How so?
If you can get more detail (eg. rivets) on a flat piece wouldn't it be better? I think with Tamiya's engineering we don't need to worry. I'd say the BT-5/7 hulls lend themselves well to flat panel construction, the way the suspension is trapped in between the hull plates.

Jim
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, May 14, 2010 - 03:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the second person I've seen post this comment. I just don't get it, as pointed out on another forum, the Tamiya Marder III & III M both were done this way, and they are excellent kits. (never heard any complaints about the hull construction). Also the very recent Matilda, (of which I've heard nothing but good) is done the same. I know nothing about the BT-7, but judging by the built up pics I'd say Tamiya did their usual solid job.

Mike
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
Armorama: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC
I'm just happy to see a better kit for this subject, I have built a couple of the E. European offerings and the builds were kind of a beast... , can imagine the AM guys going nuts over this release. I like the 1/16 figure too, nice to see a Russian subject in this scale, as popular as these figures seem to be I have always been a little surprised at the lack of Russian subjects in this scale. I would love to see a Russian infantryman in this scale, with helmet and weapon choice of either the PPSH or Mosin Nagant rifle.
jamesm
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 05:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How so?

The obvious answer is that there is more of a risk the hull assembly won't be true. Not sure the inner hull detail couldn't have been cast whole without losing any visible detail either.

No worries that Tamiya will actually provide a difficult to assemble kit, but I did have to do a double take to make sure this wasn't a Zvezda or EE kit with some new tooled sprues.
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 07:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By flat paneled hull, are you referring to the hull as being separate panels you have to glue together? If so, all of Tasca Sherman offerings have this type of construction and it quite literally falls together; no gaps, perfect fit.

I guess everyone is used to DML and their slide-molded technology?
mag135
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 128 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 10:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess everyone is used to DML and their slide-molded technology?

Slide molded technology is not technology, it's only more work, design and money involved and not a Dragon's invention ... all tanks made by Italeri in the 80's used slide molds in hulls and turrets, as M40/75, M13/40, PzIV, 38(t), Pz I, etc., and now Italeri don't make moulds this way only for economical reasons.
bocurev
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 07:43 PM UTC
I built Tamiya's new Matilda recently, the flat hull panels went together brilliantly, so I can't foresee any problems with the build of this kit, also a subject that was used in a variety of locations, so plenty of potential! Now, for a T-26?!?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 - 12:09 AM UTC
Looks like a cracking little kit.

Al
 _GOTOTOP