_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
Bedspring armor on JS-2's?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 03:52 AM UTC
Is there any evidence that bedspring armor as seen on Dragon's T-34/85 kit was also fitted to JS-2's? I've seen the MIG Productions standoff armor kit, but I'm wondering whether the bedspring armor has been documented or is at least a reasonable stretch.

Also, were turret recognition stripes ever extended to the engine deck and/or front hull? I seem to recall seeing this on a T-34/85 somewhere, so curious whether it was ever seen on a JS-2 as well.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
I don't know about the historical accuracy of it, but I've seen lots of models of IS-2 with bedspring. Infact MIG Productions set is labelled as usable on a IS-2 in their catalogue entry and they site a photo as evidence.

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/shop/popup_image.php?pID=294
VolkerS
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 09:17 PM UTC
Yes, there is definitly one (at least) photo of an IS-2 with this kind of stuff.
But of the hundreds of T-34 and IS-2 pictured during the berlin-operation only a handfull (4-5 T-34 and the one IS-2, I know of) wear this stand-off armor. So not a very common sight, whereas the white bands could be seen much more often...

Regards

Volker
daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:21 AM UTC
I know I'm late posting this but, there's also photographic evidence of JSUs with bed spring armor on them, I know of at least one anyway.....

Regards, Paul
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 09:09 PM UTC
If it's plausible - it's do-able.

Obviously you're not going to paint an IS-2 sky-blue pink with yellow spots. But I think that in our (collective) fixation with "historical accuracy", when we ask "is there documented evidence of such and such?" we often lose sight of the fact that only a tiny fraction of the AFVs used in WWII were in fact actually photographed!

So if you're just going for a "generic" look as opposed to modelling a specific vehicle, have at it.

- Steve
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:49 AM UTC
I think they were more common than one might think. The Russians went to the trouble of producing kits for the tanks.... they just didn't show up in photos that much? Who knows ----- Wish I had my time machine.....

Chris
daffyduck
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 164 posts
Armorama: 155 posts
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC
Here's an interesting photo from Concord Publications' "Stalin's Heavy Tanks 1941-1945" (the center photo)

I meant there was photographic evidence for JS 2s having stand off armor not JSUs as I said in my previous post....although they're not using bed spring armor, it's the same principle.

The caption says these were tanks during the Berlin operation.

Enjoy! Paul

PS specifically to Bill Gormley.....Regarding the white stripes, I've only seen photos showing the stripes on the turrets, and a white cross across the top of the turret as well, but not all tanks carried the crosses on top.

BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
Thanks for everyone's input on this.

The photo Paul posted is the only one I've seen of a JS-2 carrying stand-off or bedspring armor. I was aware of that photo (which provided the basis for the MIG Productions kit). My question is whether there is evidence that JS-2's were outfitted with bedspring armor as seen on some T-34's. I posed this question to Neil Stokes, who is currently researching the JS series, and his view is that it's plausible (although he hasn't seen any photos).

My question about recognition stripes was fairly specific (and probably not worded very well): Is there any evidence that JS-2's were painted with the length-wise recognition stripe as shown on the vehicle from the 55th Guards Tank Brigade included in Dragon kit #6319? Again, Neil's view is that although he hasn't seen any photos of this, it's possible that a JS-2 unit painted its vehicles this way given the variation in how unit commanders interpreted the orders they were issued.

Which takes me to Steve's point ... if it's plausible, then it's do-able. I completely agree with that sentiment. I just like to know how much of an historical limb I've climbed out onto. In this case, it seems it seems like both are reasonable assumptions to make.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:53 PM UTC
Poking around Aber's website, I noticed they offer a set (#35135) called Mesh Screens for Thoma Schild for T-34/85. It includes screens for the turret as well as what look like German-style schurzen. When you download the PDF instructions there's a small photo of the actual vehicle. Is this just another variant of stand-off armor used by the Soviets or was this vehicle unique (e.g. captured by the Germans and equipped with schurzen)? This kit looks fascinating and I don't think I've seen it before.
 _GOTOTOP