_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New Landwasserschlepper from DML
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:11 PM UTC
Following right on the heels of Hobbyboss, Dragon announces its own Panzerfahre Gepanzerte Landwasserschlepper.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 01:18 PM UTC
That thing is hideous... it's going to make one heck of a show winner the minute it hits the shelves, thanks for the heads up!
ViperAtl
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 191 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:14 PM UTC
It has Magic Track! I might just buy one for that alone.

Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC
Not only is it a model of a very obscure vehicle that was fielded in extremely limited numbers, someone else has already done it!

Dragon really needs to push the envelope a bit.

Yawn........

Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not only is it a model of a very obscure vehicle that was fielded in extremely limited numbers, someone else has already done it!

Yawn........

Agreed. Id much rather see Dragon devote their resources to something more original. Im sorry everyone but this release was rather disappointing for me. Not only is this of a vehicle that was so rare on the battlefield, but hobby boss just released one as well! Dragon, why be so predictable and release something not so expected, like an M18 Hellcat or M48 Patton, or maybe even a sheridan?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 03:05 PM UTC
It looks to be a well designed and carefully thought out kit, but it is disappointing. Can there really be so much demand for this vehicle that three different companies are offering versions of it? Of course, if they made a poopencleenenwagen sanitation vehicle based on the Pz IV chassis, with zimmerit, that was doodled on a roll of Scharmann bath tissue, someone would buy it just because it was a German subject.
Metal_blast
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hello,

I too am disappointed with this new release; its hideous. DML should try releasing something more original; 2 other companies have already released variants of this vehicle and It's beyond me who buys into these odd looking oddities.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 07:11 PM UTC
4 years ago this would have turned heads, now with 2 other companies having released versions of this and if I read a release news item correctly this type. I think even the German armour fans won't be that excited about this release.
Tankleader
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 718 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
Well, new kit for them but old hat for the rest of us. When is a mainstream model company going todo a truly new and unique kit, affordable and in plastic?

Tanks
Andy

redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
Doubtless a fine kit but as others have commented .......why? How many people on this site, other model sites or in the just for fun "Wants" lists that get run periodicaly have been begging DML to 'do' this kit?

Just a shame they didn't invest that tooling money in something refreshingly different like an all new tool M-18 (if it HAS to be another WW2) vehicle. Alternatively, investing in a new Russian T-80 / 90 ala' M1A1 /2 SEP standard kit with the money would have seen them fly off the shelves given the popularity of Modern Russian MBTs.

Oh well, I'm sure DML know what they are doing!
Gary

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 - 08:44 PM UTC
Waste of plastic if you ask me. So that's where all the money went we paid for all those re-re-releases and re-pops with one additional sprue etc. etc. ... Now how about something refreshing for a change: A Tiger!

That brings me to a thought: How about a "Tiger" from the movie "Battle of the Bulge"? We'd finally have an M47 and they could market it as the long lost tiger version!

Cheers!
Stefan
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
This kit is as much appreciated as hit in the head .... but what else was there to expect ?

Cheers
Christopher
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
Not surprised DML is dropping another kit that two other companies have announced as well, when it comes to the money you spend on a kit, DML wants to make sure its on their kit and not Hobbyboss's. Not surprising really, it simple marketing, and its done in hundreds of different fields besides modeling. Let's face the cold reality, I seriously doubt DML's modus operandi is going to change anytime soon, but why should it? Their company that makes model kits to make money, not a model company to dump money into tooling costs to make as many individuals happy as possible. So of course their going to stretch that Mk IV chassis for all its worth and then some. In fact Im willing to bet there will be a Cyberhobby "late version" of this box on wheels as well, or a command variant of some sort.

Anyway, no to rant, but at this point with the sheer amount of releases coming out of just about every company, I just seriously dont expect everyone to be a knock out of the park, nor do I expect that there wont be "kit cloning" to keep your cash in their company, nor stretching the molds for as many variants as possible. Its just is what it is.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Hmm well without wishing to sound like another broken record-yawn!

I cant really see the point in them releasing it other than it has Panzer IV running gear. The HB will no doubt be a lot cheaper than this so will get snapped up by any younger modellers or those who just think it looks cool, while this will probably only really sell to the purists and hardcore German armor fans.

Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 08:29 AM UTC
I, too, haven't been remotely interested in anything Dragon has released since the M1. BUT, can we really blame them? All they see is that A LOT of people keep buying anything German they release, no matter what it is. So, from their point of view, they're doing the right thing. I think if sales weren't that great, they would have revised their strategy and changed course.

So, aren't the modellers really the ones to blame? At least the ones who keep buying it for no other reason than it's WW II Gemran.

Just my personal opinion

Hisham
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:08 AM UTC
It's a cool vehicle, but really do we need another one?
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 10:23 AM UTC
A tedious and uninspiring release.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yawn........

Well, at least it's the prototype. This will create some wild diorama possibilities such as:

Guys in suits watching it come out of the water.

Guys in suits watching it go INTO the water.

Guys in suits watching it drying.

Guys in suits discussing the merits of THIS and the Bronco and HobbyBoss Versions...

Nope, not dramatically impressive...

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 12:22 PM UTC
I think this wouldn't be such a negative thread if people hadn't built up their hopes of this being a DD Sherman. I remember threads over on ML asking for this to be done in plastic. It's actually a pretty cool looking vehicle though I'll probably buy the Hobbyboss version cheap from the far east.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's beyond me who buys into these odd looking oddities.

Umm, me? I really like the look of this vehicle, as I do other odd looking vehicles.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this wouldn't be such a negative thread if people hadn't built up their hopes of this being a DD Sherman. I remember threads over on ML asking for this to be done in plastic. It's actually a pretty cool looking vehicle though I'll probably buy the Hobbyboss version cheap from the far east.

Most likely to do a DD Sherman is Tasca. They seem to be doing things right and, unlike Dragon, listening to their customers intead of their marketing staff.
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I understand what you're saying, Pat. And one (or even a couple) of LWS would be fine.

But it's like the old saying about buses isn't it? You're waiting ages for one to turn up and it never does. Then half a dozen arrive at once .

We're approaching the point of LWS overkill now. This is (off the top of my head) at least Number 5 from 3 different companies within, what - under two years?

What about all the other stuff that modellers have been crying out for for years that remains unkitted, or in desperate need of a new tooling? Come on DML - you can do better than this!

- Steve
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DML should try releasing something more original;

Quoted Text

I think this wouldn't be such a negative thread if people hadn't built up their hopes of this being a DD Sherman

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this thread. Oh no, not another LWS, but it would be OK if it was another Sherman!
We now have about 4 LWS on the market ... how many shermans have we?
Ellevenbravo
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 261 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

DML should try releasing something more original;

Quoted Text

I think this wouldn't be such a negative thread if people hadn't built up their hopes of this being a DD Sherman

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this thread. Oh no, not another LWS, but it would be OK if it was another Sherman!
We now have about 4 LWS on the market ... how many shermans have we?

Not really.... How many new-tool DD Shermans are out there at this time? That is a very legitimate request. This version was produced in decent numbers and is very relevant from a historical perspective. What is the LWS's claim to fame that requires all of those redundant kits?
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is the LWS's claim to fame that requires all of those redundant kits?

Because German kits will sell ... its a safe bet. Another sherman is not so certain. Dragon are in business to make money, not to provide all the vehicles that were made in "decent numbers", and to fulfill historical perspectives. If a DD Sherman was a sure bet, it would already be available.
They would have to include both options for wading gear .. folded and deployed ... or release two versions ... which would be probably more expensive than their other shermans, meaning that only the die-hards would go the extra dollars. The technology and possibility is available today. It may have to be developed some to make this work .. further increasing the cost per kit
 _GOTOTOP