_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Ferry Unusual Release from DML
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 10:53 PM UTC
Recently, we ran the story of DML's LWS (Land Wasser Schlepper) in 1/35th scale. Now, the story takes another turn... What CAN you do with two LWS' prototypes and a ferry section? Read on:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 11:28 PM UTC
Ummm..., ehhhh.., I´m speechless. For all those modelmakers, who can make water on diorama, this can be lucky day. Otherwise that kit would look ridiculous on dry land.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, July 30, 2010 - 11:40 PM UTC
Quote "The set includes the first TWO prototypes of the LWS along with a section of floating road section - to produce a vehicle ferry."

Hi

Are you sure about that Jim? I was under the impression it was just one with the pontoon and you had to buy the other kit to complete the "set."

Alan
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ummm..., ehhhh.., I´m speechless. For all those modelmakers, who can make water on diorama, this can be lucky day. Otherwise that kit would look ridiculous on dry land.

What about those modellers who are looking for a new bath toy!?
redcap
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:47 AM UTC
Whilst I am a fan of DML products, I can't help feeling this is a waste of tooling money that could have been spent on more popular subjects that modellers are calling out for. I suspect they will probably sell as many of these kits (at full MSRP) as there were actual vehicles produced - especially given that (Bronco?) have also released one!

I hope for the sake of the hobby that I am wrong and they make a good return on tooling costs but I cannot help but feel that the money would have been better invested in something like a D.D. M4 or even something more radical like a 'Crab' (yes I know they have done loads of M4's but the D.D. and the 'Jumbo' are always up there on the 'most wanted' lists).

I could mention also spending the money on some new tool T-72 / 80 & 90's like their Abrams series but it's pointless as i suspect Trumpeter or Hobbyboss will tackle those.

A missed oportunity methinks!

Gary
Stoottroeper
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,107 posts
Armorama: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:20 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

Yes he's sure, it's the 6669C: Panzer Ferry Set, conviently packed with both Panzerfahren, and 2 seperate boxes 6625 (prototype 1) and 6669 (prototype 2 plus ferrysection).
I must say, it's great for a dio, though you won't see the bottom half. However, I'm afraid if you build the prototype 2 with ferry as stand alone it will fall over.

The kit attracts me, as all oddities, but are they really going to produce all prototypes at a rate my salary (and time) won't support?

Peter
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi Peter

Thanks for clarification. I was going by the images supplied and information on Dragons Web Site. The poster doesn't show or mention both "tenders" and is marked without the C in there.Also the images of the kit have one of them ghosted slight as is common practise to show it being part of a set but not included in what you are buying so you can see why I asked the question.

I'd have thought it would have been marketed as a CyberHobby white box special if it was a limited run offer but then again Dragons marketing can blur around the edges when it comes to definitions.

Certainly makes sense to supply the whole lot to make up how it was to be deployed but my guess is it won't be cheap.

Thanks again for the clarification, I missed the little additional letter in the title but not seen on any poster.

I did like Rob Harvey's comment, made me chuckle.

Alan
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 03:35 AM UTC
As an ugly odd ball vehical, they are neat looking, the uglier, the better. It has a potential for some people like myself. The question that comes to my mind is the cost of such a kit. Would it per-chance be a better idea to sell them as seperate kits? I don't imagine the cost will keep it witin the average modelers budget, but broken down it could be a seller. I think that to break them down, say one vehical and ferry section per kit would be a better idea. That way a modeler could use one section being attatched to the other if desired or as a stand alone piece. It would open more possabilities that way. Hopefully D.M.L. will offer the ferry section alone at a latter time which I think would have a good potential (sales wise) for the dio builders. Another question that comes to mind as I'm not an expert on the subject, would it take two of these LWS to tow/push a ferry section into place?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:08 AM UTC
I suspect that very few of these will sell as the retail price will be restrictive before even touching on who would really want this set to start with. I think DML have lost touch with this offering. I wonder who convinced DML that this was on anyones want list.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Do any of you guys have actual insight to Dragon´s acounts and strategy plans? Do you really know what they sell, and the demographics of their sales? Are your opinions based on what you will/would builds yourself .... what is popular on these Western sites .. or know what is popular in Asia?
Just wondering, cause it appears that you all seem to feel that Dragon is going to take a loss here and/or this is not their best strategy.
Personally I think its great we have so many weird and wonderful kits being released. I´d consider this if both Schleppers and floating section are available at an affordable price ... Im sure this is something that would have to be considered.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Great diorama potential: we can put another German prototype on top of the ferry as it leaves the prototype factory...?

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny
Jupiterblitz
KitMaker: 885 posts
Armorama: 796 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 05:35 AM UTC
What I am wondering is when a manufacturer starts to release kits consisting of more than one vehicle to represent an entire group/platoon/squadron like it is usual on the model railway market.

There you can purchase a complete train and the single wagons/locos either.

So I would welcome such a trend for at least the braille scale.

Retail price won't be an argument against because these complete train sets are quite expensive and there are enough people who are willing to pay it.

Let's say 150 - 200 bucks for a tank platoon set (1:35) inlcuding four tanks, markings and maybe the little supporting vehicles.

Sure, you can shop around to get them separately but it is less convenient...not to mention to provide somehow the suitable decals.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 09:27 AM UTC
Frank you are completely correct as regards my comment as they are based purely on my gut instinct (European market wise) which I hope that in some respects I am wrong. I just cannot see this offering being a good seller, with my biggest concern being price.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:11 AM UTC
well, it's more interesting than the standalone LWS. I guess it'll make a nice diorama subject.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 819 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:31 AM UTC
Dragon USA has it listed at $99.99 US. Not a bad price for two complete kits and the centre section. Each kit is listed at $49.99.
Darryl
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Let's say 150 - 200 bucks for a tank platoon set (1:35) inlcuding four tanks, markings and maybe the little supporting vehicles.

this is actually a good idea. having a uniformed platoon like that. or maybe even a small "battle" scenario - something like a sherman VS two PZ.III or the likes.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I just cannot see this offering being a good seller, with my biggest concern being price.

At the end of the day ... not our problem. If Dragon want to release it ... its up to them. Im glad for those who want to buy/build it. If this is very expensive, I´ll have no problem doing without it. I could even settle for the first prototype on its own.

Quoted Text

Dragon USA has it listed at $99.99 US. Not a bad price for two complete kits and the centre section.

Thanks for that Darryl. Not a bad price actually. The scary part now is to see what this will be in Sweden.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 02:08 PM UTC
Hi Guys,
I'm really interested in this kit. I think the price is great. I'll probably get it.

Jeff
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was under the impression it was just one with the pontoon and you had to buy the other kit to complete the "set."

In so far as the product featured in the news release you're correct: 6669 - 1/35 Panzerfähre Fährendeck mit Gepanzerter Landwasserschlepper Prototype Nr. II is only the LWS with the ferry deck.

Dragon USA, however, is selling the 2 prototype (the previously announced 6625 and this one, 6669) kits together as DRA-6669C which is available as a limited time offer.

EDIT: nevermind... should have read the all subsequent posts
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
I just wonder what else Dragon has in store for us? Personally I don't care what they release as long as they keep releasing kits Then I can pick and choose which ones I want
Darryl
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:35 AM UTC
Well, once again, while this release does puzzle me. It does though look a lot more interesting than the individual LWS prototype. It also has to be said that DML has every right in the world to apply their resources to where they feel they should.

Certainly it's of limited appeal, my guess though, is that they'll sell it out quickly. Let's just hope they market those LWS tracks seperately...
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I don't care what they release as long as they keep releasing kits Then I can pick and choose which ones I want

Amen brother!!
I cant understand why some get their knickers in a twist when a kit is released that they don´t want .... do wan´t it, then don´t buy it. There are those who will buy it though .... Dragon´s marketing cannot be that stupid.
DT61
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
Well they must be doing some right because at last count I had over 200 of their kits lol.
Its a great time to be a modeller!!
Darryl
rcnpthfndr
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC
its exactly what im looking for. i will get one for sure. good to see diversity in our hobby, gets creativity going.
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Personally I don't care what they release as long as they keep releasing kits Then I can pick and choose which ones I want

Amen brother!!
I cant understand why some get their knickers in a twist when a kit is released that they don´t want .... do wan´t it, then don´t buy it. There are those who will buy it though .... Dragon´s marketing cannot be that stupid.

All joking aside --- and it is fun to goof on the parade of paper panzers --- I can't argue with either of these sentiments...

I'm happy to see ANY new kit released as I think that the kit manufacturers will eventually get to subjects that I prefer. They have produced grail kits for me such as the composite hull Sherman, AAVP series, 2001 Moonbus, Millennium Falcon, DUKW, LVTs & LCAC.

So I say KEEP CRANKIN' THOSE NEW KITS OUT, WHATEVER THEY ARE!!

Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.
 _GOTOTOP