_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
MiniArt. 'Tyred' of Resin Wheels?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 11:39 PM UTC
MiniArt Ltd. have just sent us details of an interesting initiative which falls clearly into the AM category - in Styrene: their first Wheel set. Details and Images can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Now that's an interesting way to build up tread detail! I may have to get some just for the novelty...

Tom
Sandy
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi Jim mant thanks for the link , I wil buy at least 10 sets , cheers ian
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 12:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now that's an interesting way to build up tread detail! I may have to get some just for the novelty...

Tom

Hi Tom

To be fair Dragon having been doing this for some time on their kits with tyres.

I'll certainly be in the market for a few sets.

I wonder if by trimming the inner slices down you could achieve a good representation of a tyre "off the rim" for adding to diorama scenes.

Alan
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 12:08 AM UTC
Thanks for the news tip Jim. How I wish they would expand on this. If nothing else, a set of these would be useful for stowage or populating a eastern front dio.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

'Tyred' of Resin Wheels?

I see what you did there
While I'm not in the market for these particular tyres I applaud miniarts inventiveness.
Wait a minute though I do have an Italeri Russian ZIS 5 Truck It kit 297 would they do for that?
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 12:57 AM UTC
Does take care of that nasty little mold seam,doesn't it?
Hope they do other AM tires for a reasonable price.
Cheers!
Rick
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 01:42 AM UTC
Did BA-6, BA-3 and BA-10 armored cars used the same tyre?
Shadowfax
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the posting. With all plastic tracks hitting the market, it had to be inevitable tires would too.

DML was the first I saw using this "stacking" technique on their Puma Armored Cars. It appears at this time to be the only way to make treads crisp and clear - all the way around the tire . With luck the mold seems are easy to get at, because that would be the sticking point for me... clean-up.

Cost is an issue for many, and I have to think the initial money sunk into the mold is astronomical, while producing the parts is not. It also seems to be reversed in resin manufacturing if a similar product. With luck, the price will be right, we all will win.

Two questions:
1) With German WWII being "the most popular" subjects being bought, why a Soviet subject in this case? (I already know the answer - I think.)
2) How is the molded detail on DS tires for the latest DML German Half Tracks? Would this be a less expensive, easier to assemble product?

...OK that was three - hear is number four for those counting...

4) Why are DS track and DS tires molded in a flesh tan color!?

That is all...
Mark L.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 04:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Two questions:
1) With German WWII being "the most popular" subjects being bought, why a Soviet subject in this case? (I already know the answer - I think.)

MiniArt already has the tires from their other kits. They are simply now selling the sprues separately. Minimal upfront cost for them, as it's just packaging.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They are simply now selling the sprues separately. Minimal upfront cost for them, as it's just packaging.

At the end of the day, yes. However, as they've made a BIG investment in the range of kits they have on the market, no-one would seriously grudge them maximizing their investment? DML do it, Tasca do it and frankly, it's a pity that more companies DON'T do it. You might have a Gaz AA sitting around with inaccurate wheels, what better than to buy a set like this (for what will be a pretty minimal cost) and accurize it for half (or less) than the price of Resin ones?

No, a lot more than packaging - a hell of a lot of imagination is being added into the mix.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

They are simply now selling the sprues separately. Minimal upfront cost for them, as it's just packaging.

At the end of the day, yes. However, as they've made a BIG investment in the range of kits they have on the market, no-one would seriously grudge them maximizing their investment? DML do it, Tasca do it and frankly, it's a pity that more companies DON'T do it. You might have a Gaz AA sitting around with inaccurate wheels, what better than to buy a set like this (for what will be a pretty minimal cost) and accurize it for half (or less) than the price of Resin ones?

No, a lot more than packaging - a hell of a lot of imagination is being added into the mix.

Oh, I don't blame them. They're innovating in the market, and that's a good thing! I was just replying to why they chose THESE wheels vs. some German wheels.... well... because MiniArt's niche isn't in mainstream German kits, and to go that path WOULD be a huge outlay of cash in terms of new tooling unless they planned an extensive line of German stuff.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 06:12 AM UTC
Alan, thanks - I haven't actually built any DML wheelies yet!

And to add to the "why not German" mix, I suspect if these really take off as good sellers then Miniart and others might be tempted to develop tooling for the more mainstream stuff. The tricky part is always taking the gamble on details for somebody else's model - you have to hope the base kit sells enough to generate the after-market demand, and that the resin guys don't cash in on it first.

I really like the idea of trimming the inside edges of the middle rings to get a "hollow" tyre for dioramas!

Tom
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
Much thanks for this news Jim. It's nice to have items like these available as accessory sets.

Your news also addressed a question I had about the GAZ-MM using the GAZ-AA wheels/tires. I had already purchased a resin set hoping that they would be accurate for the MM, otherwise I would be buying these ones. It's good to know these are out there if I do plan on building any more Soviet WWII trucks though
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 12:26 AM UTC
Dang!! I just checked my Zvezda BA-10 and it has 12 of those awfull rubber tyres. So, in order to replace them, I have to buy two of these kits!
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 09:14 AM UTC
I just purchased a BMW R75 kit made by great-wall and it has tires like this BTW...
very cool!
 _GOTOTOP