_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Best paint for hand brushing?
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hi;
I need to inquire as to the best or highest recommended paint. enamel or acrylic, for hand brush painting. My personal favorite Poly Scale is no longer available in Canada due to shipping restrictions. If anyone has any personal preferences i'd appreciate hearing them.
Thanks in advance.

Regards;

ron
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
Vallejo Vallejo Vallejo......Give it a try for brush and airbrush. You will not be let down, I put my name on it. Just be careful when airbrushing. Vallejo acrylics have a quick dry time and this can require frequent cleaning of the tip of your AB.
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
hi Ron, rumour has it many hobby paints will soon be banned from import in Canada due to the gov't's restriction on the chemicals used in them that have been deemed harmful to consumers. besides PolyScale, Model Master Enamels is rumoured to be banned soon. i am not sure if Humbrol will be banned, if so i will be so bummed.

Vallejo is a great acrylic paint which is very dense in pigments and can be thinned to do a fine job hand brushing. Tamiya acrylics also are easy to use by hand. just know Tamiya is solvent based that is water soluable will Vallejo is water based and the two aren't made to mix together ideally.

the Vallejo thinner is resin based as i understand and does a better job of allowing the paint molecules to bind together than just using distilled water. i haven't bought any of their thinner but may look into trying it myself.

cheers, mh.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi Ron, rumour has it many hobby paints will soon be banned from import in Canada due to the gov't's restriction on the chemicals used in them that have been deemed harmful to consumers. besides PolyScale, Model Master Enamels is rumoured to be banned soon. i am not sure if Humbrol will be banned, if so i will be so bummed.

Vallejo is a great acrylic paint which is very dense in pigments and can be thinned to do a fine job hand brushing. Tamiya acrylics also are easy to use by hand. just know Tamiya is solvent based that is water soluable will Vallejo is water based and the two aren't made to mix together ideally.

the Vallejo thinner is resin based as i understand and does a better job of allowing the paint molecules to bind together than just using distilled water. i haven't bought any of their thinner but may look into trying it myself.

cheers, mh.

I've used the Vallejo thinner for airbrushing and brush painting and it works exactly the same as distilled water- i.e. you don't really need it, water does just fine!

I would definetly recommend Vallejo but also Andrea Miniatures, not such a big range but they have some neat sets- flesh/white/black etc that help you to paint those colors more accurately with a minimum of fuss. However, they are fairly similar (if not identical) to Vallejo.
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
Ron
I use Vallejo and Delta Ceramcoat, the cheap stuff from Wal-Mart in the crafts section, darn near the same paint.
I use acrylics on all of my camouflage uniforms and oils (Winsor Newton) on top of acrylics for all of my solid colors.
I hope that this has helped.
Chris Mrosko
nitevision92
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC
I highly recommend Vallejo acrylics, as well as GSI Creos acrylics.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
Vallejo. Brush, air, effects, that's all you need . Vallejo.
ron_harris
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:05 AM UTC
Thanks to all. I noticed the other day my hobby shop is going to start selling Vallejo and from the comments none to soon. I think i'll get a bottle and give it a try.
Thanks again.

ron
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:02 PM UTC
I echo what everyone is saying,

Vallejo...

The main and only line of paint for brush painting that I carry here at the shop.

I would gladly do mail order out to you Ron, if in doubt, check with James Brookman (also from Manitoba, in Winnipeg), he can vouch for me.
tnichols
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:32 PM UTC
Follow-up question. Best type of brush for brush painting? I plan on doing some cammo. with either Humbrol or Vallejo paints and I need to know what is the best brush shape to use. Round or flat? Size? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks. Ted Nichols
madmax5510
Visit this Community
Hunedoara, Romania
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 343 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 08:19 PM UTC
Hi Ron,Hi Ted!

I use from almost five years only acrilycs,Agama[for smallscale -1/76,1/72],and Modelmaster for 1/48,1/35 scale...and i am very pleased with the results.
Smallscale with Agama acrilycs:

...the best way to use Agama acrilycs is dry-brush.

"Big" scale[i am a braillescaler ] with Modelmaster:

For a single color camo i use a broad brush,but for two tone or three tone camo,i use this ugly,ordinary brush:

..in a dry-brush way.

Sorry for the many pictures, but for me, a picture is worth like a thousand words. ...and I hope I managed to be helpful, despite my bad[ ] English.

All the best!
Dani
Mohawk73
Visit this Community
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
Armorama: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
I have a similar problem. I want to use acrylics from now on and have to paint a plane by handbrush in /48 scale. Gunze was no succes so i have decided to try Vallejo and see how this will work out.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:12 PM UTC
When handbrushing I use Vallejo or Humbrol for small areas. For me nothing beats Humbrol enamels, for larger areas.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Follow-up question. Best type of brush for brush painting? I plan on doing some cammo. with either Humbrol or Vallejo paints and I need to know what is the best brush shape to use. Round or flat? Size? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks. Ted Nichols

I find Abteilung 502 brushes from Mig Productions are good if you are looking for mid-size round and flat brushes. They also do good fine detail brushes but I prefer Italeri 10/0 and 5/0 brushes to be good for fine detail. You can't really go wrong with Tamiya brushes either.
gaborka
Visit this Community
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 02:56 AM UTC
Hello,

concerning brushes it is a good idea buying the best quality, I buy my brushes in the art supply store.
Flat wide brushes are good for applying washes, pastels, drybrushing. I found it difficult to paint surfaces with them, although logics would dictate the opposite. Maybe you have better luck with them.
Round brushes are used for painting surfaces and general work.
It is a good idea to have a few long-bristle calligraphy brushes around (they come even in 3/0 sizes), for precision work and painting straight, even lines and applying pin washes.

plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
Armorama: 157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
My vote goes to Humbrol Enamels. They go on without any brush marks and cover on the first coat. The gloss ones are not as forgiving when brushing as the flat ones. The Metallic steel and aluminum enamel, once dry can be buffed to a very realistic metal finish and can be brushed on small parts.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Winsor & Newton brushes. I have the Cirrus series. They are high quality Kolinsky Sable, leave no brush marks, and will last forever.
Use rounds for lines, points for detail, and flats for areas.
dubik2005
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 07:26 PM UTC
I tried Vallejo, Andrea and Reaper Master Paint Series (US). Trying to use Reaper MPS most of the time because you don't need to shake them for several minutes. Also if I don't have color I need from reaper I prefer to use Game Color and Air because they are already diluted and easier to work with. I really suggest to buy flow improver and drying retarder. Reaper mini got both of those.
dubik2005
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 11:32 PM UTC
About brushes here is nice review...
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/892

I ordered Rosemary and Co and Raphael today. Lets see....
Big-J59
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
Best service ever from Scott M

That all I can say about that.

let me know how the vallejo paint works out Ron. (If you get it)

James
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best service ever from Scott M

That all I can say about that.

let me know how the vallejo paint works out Ron. (If you get it)

James

Thanks James....much appreciated!!

Your decals are on the way mailed today

Thanks
Scott
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

About brushes here is nice review...
http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/892

I ordered Rosemary and Co and Raphael today. Lets see....

I just stumbled across this thread while browsing and saw this link and found the article to be quite helpful. Much thanks
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 07:04 PM UTC
Try an Alberta hobby shop. Pollyscale has a good distributor in Calgary and I don't believe it can't be found any more. Lol if Pollyscale can't be found in Canada anymore all of the train shops will go out of business. Owned by Testors btw.

Polyscale is the best for hand brushing, by about a mile and a half.

Just read some of the posts about model paint being banned and I'm getting real tired of being told what's good for me by the moronic apparachiks who think they run this country as a daycare centre.

Guess I should stock up on Flake White, too?
 _GOTOTOP