_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
DML Pz.IV Late with Zimmerit
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC

With the quickie review out of the way ( Kit 6560), the build can get under way. I'm going to try a few different things with this one, first and foremost I'm actually going to finish it! The build will be done generally OOB, at least on the left hand side, using a minimum of PE options. The right hand side will get more of the kit PE (what little there really is) along with the Griffon schürzen brackets ( Kit L35A061). As you can see from that review, I'm pretty far into the build already
Finally, the finish and weathering will be completed using only acrylics, namely Vallejo, along with their pigments.

In the review of the kit, I was going to mention that more zim could be added to model a certain vehicle, and to 'personalize' it, but thought that defeated the purpose of this kit, that's more of what this one is for, Kit 6300.

What I really want to see with this kit is how the DS tracks are going to look, after all the bad rap they've gotten I wanted to try them out for myself.

I'm not well versed on the Pz.IV, and this only be the second one I've built...the first one I tried was the DML Super kit that had a million parts, so I'll not be modeling any certain vehicle and will make use of my artistic license where necessary
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 03:46 PM UTC
As is typical with DML kits, work begins with the lower hull and running gear. I like to begin with getting the hull ready, and this one needed no clean up other than removing the pour stubs along the top, three on each side.

A tedious part of building Pz.IV's is preparing the 16 (plus spares) roadwheels and 8 return rollers, so it's good to get them out of the way first. The roadwheels in this kit (being a late version) have the 'stamped' hubcaps and the return rollers are of the steel variety offering both plain faced and ribbed.

Two styles of idlers are included, cast and welded, which I assembled both but will be using the welded type.

The front and rear plates get their details added and are fastened to the hull, along with the housings and dampers. To round out the first four steps, the 6 lifting hooks are put together, which are used much later in the build. Not many options in the beginning to choose from, other than the idlers and which style of tow bracket on the rear. The parts fit perfectly, almost snap tight, so many got glued from inside the hull.

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:09 PM UTC
I'll be following as I've been thinking of getting this kit.
 _GOTOTOP