_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: WWII Soviet Armor
For discussions related to WW2 era Soviet armor.
kv colours?
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi, I have a few questions about KV-1 and KV-Big turret colours. 1) I've noticed an older ( I think ) Trumpeter KV-2 box cover shows the tank to be grey on the cover. Did they ever paint them these colours? 2) I've seen KV-1s and Big Turrets painted several different shades of green. Does anybody have a picture of what is considered the "actual" Russian green. 3) Were these tanks ever painted other colours?

Thanks in advance
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Were these tanks ever painted other colours?

As far as i know the Kv1 was painted in many other camo schemes, I dont't know what about the kv2

Try to search, for example, here:

KV1

KV2

cheers
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 05:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi, I have a few questions about KV-1 and KV-Big turret colours. 1) I've noticed an older ( I think ) Trumpeter KV-2 box cover shows the tank to be grey on the cover. Did they ever paint them these colours? 2) I've seen KV-1s and Big Turrets painted several different shades of green. Does anybody have a picture of what is considered the "actual" Russian green. 3) Were these tanks ever painted other colours?

Thanks in advance

There is no 'actual' Russian Green. They started from a base colour which was relatively bright, then this faded or darkened due to age and pigment composition
I found ModelMaster Forest green to be a good starting point.
Remember, there weren't that many Big Turrets made. All had the base green, although there may have been summer or winter camo applied, this depended on the unit and paint availability.
Finland also had a couple of these, and they may have been camo'd.
MrNeil
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 262 posts
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2010 - 12:34 PM UTC
Take a look here: http://www.4bogreen.com/colors

The site gives rough FS approximations to the base Protective Green 4BO, Dark Brown 6K and Yellow Earth 7K colours used on RKKA vehicles. From there you can work out what paints to use.

Cheers,

Neil
noname
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your help guys. It kind of sounds like you could get away with several different shades of green. I was wondering why some tanks were a like "grassy" green and others were dark. Thats good. I have a KV1, KV "Big Turret" and a T-34 coming for Christmas. I can paint them all a different shade of green for contrast. Apparently, it is a matter of how old the paint was.
 _GOTOTOP