_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Dragon Models - New Allied Figures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 01:38 AM UTC
In a welcome break from their Axis figures sets, Dragon Models have announced their first Allied release of 2011. Images and some thoughts on this new set, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:29 AM UTC
I agree, Jim. It is a little puzzling. However, the key phrase is "a welcome break form their Axis figure sets". It is, indeed, very welcome and very much overdue.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi

I don't find it puzzling or confusing.

As with the Axis sets they've released I believe Dragon feel their figures are pretty close to resin for detail and as such are creating figure sets with that appeal in mind.

But rather than just give one figure, costly to produce and package in plastic they are giving us four potential figures to use either as individual studies or as part of a bigger scene.

Try not to think of it as a "set" of figures in the sense they would go together, more a set based on a broader definition, as you've said Allied Figures WW2.

If indeed you think they are close to resin figures is a matter for personal preference and experience. I believe their Gen2 figures are the best detailed plastic figures available and think they come pretty close to resin quality, but then again there are resin figures and resin figures. Hold a Alpine Miniature in your hand, preferably if you are like me with some sort of optical aid (great big magnifier in other words) and you see how far plastic has still to go

Where as Masterbox are selling with success their "scene in a box" sets Dragon are taking a different approach offering four individual figures to use on their own in a small vignette or as part of a bigger scene, a figure next to a tank for example to give some scale.

Alan
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC
If these are half as good as they can be, they will sell like hotcakes; I know I am a very happy boy with this news. The Brit commando is worth the price of addmission alone.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 03:56 AM UTC
The US Paratrooper looks more like a soldier in the late style uniform?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
As individual figuers they look quite useable.

The chap with the .45 Thompson looks odd. The Thompson is a failty heavy weapon and I don't think you would rest the butt on your chest like that, more likely on the belt or a pouch.

I don't know if there is enough here to inspire a purchase, but I'll await the review and see.

Good start to the year through, always good to see more Allied troops.

Al
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The chap with the .45 Thompson looks odd. The Thompson is a failty heavy weapon and I don't think you would rest the butt on your chest like that, more likely on the belt or a pouch.
Al

It is a pose I've seen before and not all that keen on it myself. See what I mean. Looks a bit "Village People" to me on both counts.

Alan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 04:48 AM UTC
I agree with your comments in the review, I was a bit puzzled myself. I would prefer some more dynamic posing as well, however these figures would lend themselves well to stand alone vignettes. I do want the British/Commonwealth Commando and wish they would have released a set of them instead of mixing the way they did here with this set, and US Paratroopers are always welcome in my book but again would like to see a full set of them in more useful poses. I may pick up a set as I probably will eventually find a use for each of them sometime down the road.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Alan,

Yes, I think you would rest it on a pouch or your hip bone or hanging with arm extended by your side.

Like Jeremy I'd have preferred a set of Commandos , but I can see them working well as stand alone figs or beside a vehicle.

Al
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Actually, I've so rarely used an entire set of figures on the same diorama that even "cohesive" sets usually have some of the figures hitting the parts box, so a mix and match like this makes perfect sense. I'd rather have a commando than a fourth US figure with hunched shoulder pointing at something.

Matt
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
The impression I get is that these were figures which were individually developed and have been brought together in one release.

I remain 'puzzled' as I honestly believe that it makes more sense releasing four figures which are inter-related. 1+1+1+1 does not make for a 'set' - no matter how you look at it.

Now, if DML had announced 4 U.S: Infantry, 4 Commandos or (dare I say it) 4 U.S. Paras, we'd be looking at cheers rather than a degree of bewilderment?
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
As some of you mentioned, the set looks useful in a small diorama setting, i.e. next to a tank and other few relaxed figures. I will pick this one up when it releases. Looks great.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 07:46 AM UTC
Guess a few would have been puzzled by Tamiya's figure set releases of a few years ago as well by the sounds of it.

Alan

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
This seems to be a trend with Dragon going back to their "Winter Panzer Riders": generic sets with no particular unit or historical underpinnings.

Nevertheless, I applaud more good figures in styrene with these excellent weapons.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC
A 4-in-1 figure release. Beautiful details, but it's like being offered a cracker from the kitchen when you can smell the feast. I agree, it would have been much better to see four of each rather than one of each, but Allied figures are always welcome.
TimStreeter
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 04:10 PM UTC
There's nothing to suggest any of the three Americans is a paratrooper. The one GI in the M1943 winter combat jacket is wearing buckled service boots with the leather gaiters, standard infantry issue after November 1943. Though they also were supposed to replace the paratroopers' distinctive jump boots, they never gained acceptance because the troopers feared their lines might get snagged in the buckles, and the high laced boots were prized as a badge of honor. So yeah, you could use this figure as a paratrooper, perhaps a replacement after D-Day or Market Garden, but he's also fine for leg infantry.

As for this pairing, I hope it's not the start of a trend. I'm not too keen on a Kiska/Okinawa set....

FWIW,

Tim
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:18 PM UTC
Kiska, Okinawa, Seabee and ANZAC. I can see it now. There could be a whole string of releases like this. The possibilities are endless. If Dragon is going to pursue this, a set of tankers would be ideal, from different theaters or dressed for summer, fall and winter. Something where one figure would fit the bill.
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 05:53 PM UTC
This is a very odd release. All four of these figures were released many years ago (between 5 and 10 years depending on the figure) by Dragon/DML as part of their large scale 1/6 articulated figure range.

Makes no sense at all.

Brian
Hunter6
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
I like them. They could be used as a group, - well, the U.S. troops anyway - as stand alone figures, or combined with any or all of the "Advance to the Rhine" figure set.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like them. They could be used as a group, - well, the U.S. troops anyway - as stand alone figures, or combined with any or all of the "Advance to the Rhine" figure set.

that is the first thing that came to mind...the Advance to the Rhine" and the Ramagden set too...

I thought I was having deja-vu.

Its almost as though they are doing a "mmm....we ran out of room in the other boxings, so lets take those leftover poses, do em up, and toss them in the same box..."

still, each on thier own, nice looking figures. Ill probally pick one up someday when somebody is cleaning out thier stash or I just HAVE to have another GI standing staring off into space....
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 08:21 PM UTC
Now not knowing too much about the plastic injection moulding process thingy, is the fact that the arms never hang/sit tight on the body (especially when holding a weapon) a result from some limitation in this process, or is it just the sculptors will and the companies want?
Kuno-Von-Dodenburg
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,453 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 10:24 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

It is a pose I've seen before and not all that keen on it myself. See what I mean. Looks a bit "Village People" to me on both counts.

Alan

I don't think the DML one looks too bad but yes, this NWM figure looks very gay.

- Steve
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 06, 2011 - 10:50 PM UTC
Personally I like this set and would consider buying it. Very useful is you like one or two figures placed beside armor, or in small vignettes.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Personally I like this set and would consider buying it. Very useful is you like one or two figures placed beside armor, or in small vignettes.

I'm with you, Frank. It's very rare for me to find a set where all the poses fit right into a dio or beside a vehicle. One of these figures with some German POWs, for example, or the dude with the Tommy gun next to one of the new Allied staff cars or motorcycle riders on his Harley?

You guys need to expand your thinking and not expect to have dioramas spoon fed to you, LOL!
grom
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 214 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Friday, January 07, 2011 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Alan,

Yes, I think you would rest it on a pouch or your hip bone or hanging with arm extended by your side.

Like Jeremy I'd have preferred a set of Commandos , but I can see them working well as stand alone figs or beside a vehicle.

Al

Is Dragon getting the message,yes I am with you on this one with Alan and Jeremy a set of commandos would be nice and my preference but this is a set I will buy ,the first set of Dragon figures in over 2 years
 _GOTOTOP