_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
DML's Nuremberg Announcements
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:15 PM UTC
Dragon Models have just announced an interesting batch of releases at this year's Nuremberg Toy Fair. The list and (some) images, can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:37 PM UTC
Pleasantly surprised by that Lee - I hope a Grant is not too far behind.
I also like that version of the RSO.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 11:58 PM UTC
Yawn....nothing exciting or really new.

6 German WWII pieces that are already available and 1 Allied WWII piece that is already available. How about something that is actually new?
BeanStorm
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:46 AM UTC
Why more ww2 German models? Come on, when is the fascination for this subject from this company will wain? If memory serves me DML started out with some cool modern models, I like ww2 stuff do not get me wrong but I was geeked when these guys first came out with the t-80, bmp-1, btr etc... How about some Japanese ww2 armor or trucks. Allied softskins. Come on DML amaze us again. Tamiya at least is stretching, which is great because they have a better fit and instructions are clear.

Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:53 AM UTC
Being a WWII Allied enthusiast, I am glad to see the Lee and, as Pat said, hopefully a Grant will follow. I'm not at all surprised at the flood of German stuff. Just means I won't spend as much money. In all fairness though, Jim's "open letter to Dragon" came so close to the show, perhaps they haven't had time to digest all of it yet. We shall see.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:54 AM UTC
Thanks but no thanks. Sad that it's mostly Nazitech again.

I was hoping for modern versions of their 105mm howitzer or a late (post WWII) Priest. This stuff is useless
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why more ww2 German models? Come on, when is the fascination for this subject from this company will wain?

Well.... I'm not going to nominate myself as DML's defender here, but IMO, although nothing gives the 'Wow!' factor, they are pretty sensible, commercial releases.

What you're seeing here are the Nuremberg announcements. This is NOT (by a very long way) their 2011 release program. The Sd.Kfz 10? Makes all the sense in the world. The RSO? Exactly the same. Jagpanzer IV and Stug III - maximising existing moulds. The Panzer II - again, a variant but a useful one.

I'm delighted to see the Lee (and, by logical progression, a Grant will follow) after the waste of styrene produced by Academy and the indescribably awful Tamiya one. Those two should make it easy for DML to produce a good, accurate model.

However, my real concern, even though i'm NOT a Modern builder, is the lack of something in THIS area. I had kinda thought that a Bradley might be announced - not radically exciting but a step in the right direction.

Quoted Text

In all fairness though, Jim's "open letter to Dragon" came so close to the show, perhaps they haven't had time to digest all of it yet.

Well, i'd like to think the massive contribution by the Site Members to that thread would have an effect. Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't think that DML are as open to 'lobbying' as others are although thre was a broad consensus as to DML's lack of direction and commitment in certain areas. Time will tell.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Well credit where its due. I like criticising DMLs monotone release schedule as much as the next modeller (or it seems lately as much as the next 100 modellers)

But the Lee is a very welcome release in my book. OK, so we already have a couple, but short of Tasca releasing one (and I hope they do) this is probably going to be the pick of the bunch. Of course, until we actually see it in the plastic so to speak, there is always a note of caution, but it looks like good news to me. Like Pat, a Grant would be top of my list, but that's british, so unless DML break a duck they've had since the repop of the Valentine back in the stone age, I won't hold my breath

Great news on the Lee though, between that and the Neubafrappenwhatsit I'm starting to think they might actually realise there were a lot more tanks after all
casualmodeler
Visit this Community
Hame, Finland
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC
If Dragon announcements donīt give us "Wow-effect", maybe we should wait and see, if Bronco, ICM, Afv club or HobbyBoss could give us pleasent surprice. What comes to Tamiya, I wouldnīt count on them.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If Dragon announcements donīt give us "Wow-effect", maybe we should wait and see, if Bronco, ICM, Afv club or HobbyBoss could give us pleasent surprice. What comes to Tamiya, I wouldnīt count on them.

At least one of these manufacturers have current projects which should have a good chance of spluttering coffee (or whatever beverage you have in your hand at the time) all over the monitor. Nice to see you've included ICM in this list, they are becoming a REALLY serious player with the quality of their recent releases
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC
The M3 is certainly great news. Looking forward to it!

As for the rest:

Cheers!
Stefan
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
"Neubafrappenwhatsit", thanks, Chris. I needed that!
Fitz
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 439 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 03:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

6 German WWII pieces that are already available and 1 Allied WWII piece that is already available. How about something that is actually new?

Every new release is a welcome one. When I started modelling 25 years ago the selection that was available compared to now was like working in the Dark Ages.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Every new release is a welcome one. When I started modelling 25 years ago the selection that was available compared to now was like working in the Dark Ages.

Amen to that, Brother!

While it would be nice to see something REALLY NEW, that's not always a smart decision for a large, successful company like DML. Sometimes you leave it to others to innovate and you then improve. Most of these offerings seem to be just that.

They are righting some real wrongs with the Lee, RSO tractor and the Sd.Kfz.10. While all three are currently in styrene (unlike say an Sd.Kfz. 8 half-track), none of them is really very good at all. I certainly hope I get a crack at reviewing the 10 (often called DEMAG after the company that built most of them), as I have the Italeri kit and some expensive upgrades in my stash. This model looks as though it will do to that kit what Dragon's Sd.Kfz.7s did for the old Tamiya kits--

Drive modelers to dump them on the BST forum here.

Ditto their RSO which currently is another Italeri offering (though a different model, one with a closed cab). While those kits aren't TERRIBLE, the thought that Dragon can produce excellent OOB kits makes me want to put my AM upgrades and Italeri Sd.Kfz.10 kit up for sale.

Some of the other items like the Panzerjaeger I are just extensions of existing molds, so a good allocation of resources IMO. The Panzer II Poland could be helpful, since the Tamiya version is somewhat more simplified than DML kits, even Smart Kits, though apparently not terrible. In any case, I am glad to see Early War items coming out in more numbers, and hope Dragon will get the dual-camo paint scheme right and not make that kit Panzer Gray.

Stug III E? Again, DML is cleaning up kits that are available, but need improvement.

So consider me a cheerleader for these releases, LOL. I've been called that for Trumpeter, but I'm actually glad to see these and will certainly purchase the Sd.Kfz.10 and the Stug, assuming they aren't fatally-flawed.
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Amen to that, Brother!

While it would be nice to see something REALLY NEW, that's not always a smart decision for a large, successful company like DML. Sometimes you leave it to others to innovate and you then improve. Most of these offerings seem to be just that.

They are righting some real wrongs with the Lee, RSO tractor and the Sd.Kfz.10. While all three are currently in styrene (unlike say an Sd.Kfz. 8 half-track), none of them is really very good at all. I certainly hope I get a crack at reviewing the 10 (often called DEMAG after the company that built most of them), as I have the Italeri kit and some expensive upgrades in my stash. This model looks as though it will do to that kit what Dragon's Sd.Kfz.7s did for the old Tamiya kits--

Drive modelers to dump them on the BST forum here.

Ditto their RSO which currently is another Italeri offering (though a different model, one with a closed cab). While those kits aren't TERRIBLE, the thought that Dragon can produce excellent OOB kits makes me want to put my AM upgrades and Italeri Sd.Kfz.10 kit up for sale.

Some of the other items like the Panzerjaeger I are just extensions of existing molds, so a good allocation of resources IMO. The Panzer II Poland could be helpful, since the Tamiya version is somewhat more simplified than DML kits, even Smart Kits, though apparently not terrible. In any case, I am glad to see Early War items coming out in more numbers, and hope Dragon will get the dual-camo paint scheme right and not make that kit Panzer Gray.

Stug III E? Again, DML is cleaning up kits that are available, but need improvement.

So consider me a cheerleader for these releases, LOL. I've been called that for Trumpeter, but I'm actually glad to see these and will certainly purchase the Sd.Kfz.10 and the Stug, assuming they aren't fatally-flawed.

About the most sensible post on this thread. I too am a fan of any release. I do not take it as a personal insult if Dragon (or any other company) doesn't release something that I want. Several of these kits are diferent enough from Dragon's previous versions to be considered new releases. The Sd.Kfz. 10 w/the PaK 36 I believe has never been done. I'm still looking forward to getting the Sd.Kfz. 10/5. Bill, as for the Pz. II paint scheme, I am asuming you mean on the box art and markings instructions. After all it is the modeler who paints the model.

Roy
MikeKeenan
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
Any news on the 25 Pdr that was announced a few months ago.
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I actually share the same sentiment with Gino. These new releases are quite boring. For DML, it may not care much about Allied and modern AFV market so it is expected. Jim Rae does not give much credit to Academy's existing Lee kit but it is actually not that bad- depending on how much $ you want to spend and how accurate you want it to be. Of course, a more accurate Lee would be nice (at a reasonable price) and a modern release would have been welcomed by many of us.

As to comparing what we have now to what the modeling community was like 2 to 3 decades ago, I don't think it's a good arguement considering how much the technology and market have changed.
It is almost saying, we should be grateful for color TVs, modems to connect to the internet, and crappy cars that break down constantly and have no safety features. Modern technologies involved in research, kit designs, manufacturing, and even marketing (even this Armorama.com forum) are available and crucial to survive in this market. These producers need to demonstrate their ability to come out with products that can meet customer demands. That's how they can survive and grow in this competitive market.

As consumers, let's not settle for mediocrity or some slack by these corporations. I mean if we do not want to compromise on the qualities of our electronics and cars, why should we on these hobby products? Like Jim pointed out in his "open letter", companies like AFV Club, Bronco, Tasca, Tristar, and HB have created some new measuring sticks. Will DML improve its products and try to meet consumer demands in order to compete? Who knows? The playing fields are changing and standards have changed. Constructive criticism is for the good of these companies and us as consumers.
ninjrk
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
Armorama: 1,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
I admit, that M3 Lee is most welcome. Of course, I have to continue my whimpering and pleading for a T-90 and T-80 new tool. Sigh. I am happy to see them fill in a few needs in German vehicles that actually saw service.

Matt
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 04:49 AM UTC
Well done DML!

A brand new M3 Lee, one of the ugliest tank ever

Joking aside, i'm very happy that DML produce it... and I wonder if I can do a "Lend & lease" russian version with this kit...

Quoted Text

I have to continue my whimpering and pleading for a T-90 and T-80 new tool.

Matt, in my opinion if someone could produce a T80 or a T90 kit, it would be Trumpeter, not DML

Yoxford
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
DML or whomever is going to produce what will sell. For years a 1/48 PBY Catalina, Ju52 and A-5 Vigilante topped all the lists of what model builders "had" to have. They have been some of the worst sellers ever, and the PBY and Ju52 are beautiful kits.

Go to a contest and what do you see the most of? WWII German.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:25 AM UTC
Of their new releases, only the Sd.Kfz.10 and Lee are of any importance to me. Too bad I don't have access to a Lee that is in real good shape, otherwise I would've had a photo disc out on it by now. However, my Sd.Kfz 10 disc will be available next week. I guess the lizard hasn't indicated if their Sd.Kfz.10 is an Ausf. A or B.

Chris "toadman" Hughes
Toadman's Tank Pictures
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bill, as for the Pz. II paint scheme, I am asuming you mean on the box art and markings instructions. After all it is the modeler who paints the model.

Yes, that is my meaning, Roy, but you make a good point for me: many modelers are happy to build something OOB without doing any research or looking for an alternative camo pattern (and you can include me in that for many builds I do). So if the paint scheme on the box or in the instructions is wrong....

The notion that German tanks in Poland and France were just Panzer Gray has been enabled by the kit makers who pass down the incorrect schemes. I think that's changing slowly, but even some here refuse to accept the latest research. After all, monochrome gray is easier than 1/3-2/3 brown/gray.
jvazquez
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 857 posts
Armorama: 811 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
I don't mind the Lee, and I would love to convert this one into an M31 ARV.

But the rest....YAWN!

I'm STILL waiting for a US Marine MTVR! When, WHEN will someone finally make one?!?!
dmcgraw1
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
We should thank our lucky stars. I been a modeler a long time. Twenty years ago all we had was Tamiya and they didn't release all that much.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
I'm happy to see the M3 Lee coming out, but at the same time, DML is just as apt to make mistakes on stuff as Academy is...and Academy fixed one of the major faults with the running gear on the M3. Overall the rest of the kit is decent and far better then Tamiya offering.

I've always liked the Jagpanzer IV A and its nice to see it get updated to todays standards since the other one is based of the dinosaur Gunze mold they have now.

I hope we see the Type 2 Ka-mi in plastic or at least CAD drawings...its been nearly 6 months since it was shown.

_GOTOTOP