_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Seal Team Figure Set
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 05:30 PM UTC
In commemoration of Operation Geronimo by SEAL Team 6, Dragon is issuing a set of eight SEAL figures in various uniforms with different weapons. This will include frogmen. The set is due to be released in July 2011.

I suspect this may be a composite set of past figures, but am not sure at this time. It would make for a very interesting group of figures, showing the variety of operations SEALs are trained to perform.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 08:02 PM UTC
It looks like a re-release. Wonder what the price will be?
Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 02:47 AM UTC
The figures are old and have nothing to do with Operation Geronimo
So how are they inspired ?
Dragon should release some Gen2 modern figures instead of rehashing the old SH*T!
Mrosko
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
What Chris said.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

In commemoration of Operation Geronimo by SEAL Team 6, Dragon is issuing a set of eight SEAL figures in various uniforms with different weapons. This will include frogmen.

Pre Mission Brief, oh dark thirty...

"Anybody got any grenades?"

"Here, you can have some of mine..."

"Hey Chief, aren't we gonna take flex cuffs and blindfolds? You know, in case we need to take somebody back?"

"Nah, but hey, don't forget your flippers and mask"

Christopher68
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 04:15 AM UTC
Guess it goes to show that Dragon just wants the cash, and not to get the history of it right, can not come up with new figures, just re release 20 year old figures and hope that the people who are going to buy them are really, really stupid and not realize that they are way out of date. As much as I like Dragon, I dont know if they should get any more of my cash if they can not do any better then this. just my thoughts
GSPatton
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 04:29 AM UTC
I have one of these sets: the seals door breaching set is lack luster they are an older set and need some work to fit.....It would be nice in the infinite wisdom of Dragon to release some Gen2 modern ISAF Forces maybe get some new guys like british or aussies or how about some canadians..... Instead they have made countless german WWII vehicles in 1/72......I think it would be nice thats all I am saying.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 05:39 AM UTC
Agreed, Dragon will miss the boat on this one. That's o.k. though, they have been falling behind now for so long I doubt they will ever get back in front. Other companies have the ball now. I do have both of these older sets and they are not that bad as far as I can see but, new up to date figures with some interesting posses and newer weapons would have been a better way to go. No need to rehash the reboxed with P/E and a few goodies to resell over again. I just hope they listen to our thoughts on this and make some changes. They were the leader once upon a time for figure sets but, well enough said.
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC
If it's cheap enough I'll get a set for a diver figure (to go with my klepper canoe for a dio I've had in mind for a while). Other than that ... yawn...
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
interestingly enough they found the time to design an all new what-if seahawk , while all other (1:35th scale) recently released modern subjects are nothing but reissues of older kits (think of cyberhobby's USMC M1A1)...
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:26 AM UTC
is it a sea hawk or a black hawk derivative?
Yea, I was hoping they would do some 1/35 new stuff, but the helicopter is cool
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:41 AM UTC
Citizinsane
KitMaker: 463 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

is it a sea hawk or a black hawk derivative?
Yea, I was hoping they would do some 1/35 new stuff, but the helicopter is cool

does that really matter? the only piece on that thing that would look like the real thing is the tail rotor...
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC
I agree with Chris. If they're going to bank in on that, they should use a more modern mold. If they're going to release old figures, they should do it with the urban SAS, I need them for a dio. Has anyone else seen their concept for the helicopter they used? They really hit the low on this one.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Been there,done that.
Did the frogmen catch the wrong chopper or was there a very wide moat around the compound?
Seems to be a cheap cash grab.

Tom
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
I have bought both of these sets. I use kits like these and the DML SWAT ones for the gear for some of my What If stuff. Both were set for US relief operations in Somalia. It seems like Dragon really played this one wrong. On top of that both sets aren't exactly hard to find. The last time I picked up the one with the Frogmen I paid like $5 for it. I've seen the other for about the same price online. Unless they are going to price it at under $10 it really isn't worth me picking up.

Now if they were to re-issue their Fast Attack Vehicle.....
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

RE-issue?... They never released it. It only existed as an image in their catalogs.
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Armorama: 354 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 07:45 PM UTC
I have both sets and i would give them a maximum of 80% from 100% in Qualitiy. They are from the 90´s and so is the Quality. Don´t think they can improve such quality with new molds. The frogmen from set U.S. Navy Seals Team 3 are really nice done with good Details. The weapons are very good and the Figures are nice done with some good Detail. A big Problem is the fit of the M60E3. You have to carve away a little bit from the body to make the weapon sit right.The best Figures in this set are the frogmen and the guy with M203 under his M4. The other set U.S. Navy Seals has his advantage in the weapons and equipment. You get an night vision device and it´s the only set to get these kind of shotgun. The arms in the first set are on the big site and look a little bit unnatural and soft in Detail like the legs. The torsos are good with nice Details. The helmets are very good done and fit perfectly on an Hornet head ;-). The head of the guy with the vision device is more an alien. Very soft Detail.

The helicopter looks like an Blackhawk has married an Comanche :-). The basic layot is from the comanche helicopter with doors and rotors from an blackhawk. Really strange. Dragon should see at Masterbox or Trumpeter for example and should make new Figures with the Detail of their newer WW2 German Figures. These two sets are a big step backwards.

Stefan
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
Ho ho ho,

Seems that Dragon confirmed all the Sh.t loads in threw in their face in my recent posts.
After having made really really good technological progress consumer orientated, they just take us for foul now.
They missed this occasion to release a very good up to date set benefiting from seal team 6 success, Gen 2 or not figures, with nice accessories. And this set would have sell a lot, I'm sure.

Who do they think we are ? Kids (eventhough we act like them sometimes, we know what's the money worth...)

It's all confirming my previous post. The only thing that is interesting Dragon is releasing German nazis stuff, because they are sure a bunch of guys will buy them anyhow, eventhough their stash is already full of Feldgrau.

Even when Tamiya was reboxing some vehicles, coming from Italieri for example, they add nice new figures in the set.

You will see that the release price will be higher than both sets combined, because of a loosy sticker "operation geronimo set".

They just deserve my scorn for that.
Best,
Julien
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 - 11:57 PM UTC
I bet Seal Team 6 really went into Pakistan armed and equipped like they would have been in about 1993! Way to go Dragon!
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Not just using old figures, but rather tasteless in my opinion. The ink has barely dried on the headlines and DML are trying to make money from it

Not impressed at all
Bluestab
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,160 posts
Armorama: 1,906 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

RE-issue?... They never released it. It only existed as an image in their catalogs.

I thought they released a limited run. Oh well, I guess that the Hobby Boss one will have to suffice.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 07:54 AM UTC
A classic business analysis issue....

This is still so odd because Concord Publications is part of Dragon so Dragon does have the resources and references to draw from, not to mention that other action doll companies have already made modern SEAL Team 6 dolls anyway. The information and photos have been out there for years. Just some company needs to translate those modern dolls into plastic figures. And even so, those dolls will probably be better gunned, geared, and equipped than the plastic figure anyway!

The independent resin companies have made modern figures by using nothing but photos on the internet---and some of those figures are pretty darn accurate.

Besides the "labor is cheaper overseas" argument, this goes to show how The West is dependent on overseas for yet another consumer product and hoping they get it correct. Odd how the USA doesn't have its own model-making company to get such "USA products" correct even though the USA has the references.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I thought they released a limited run. Oh well, I guess that the Hobby Boss one will have to suffice.

Are you thinking about the *resin* HobbyFan "Delta Force" FAV? That is a totally different vehicle and story.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 12:42 PM UTC
Just to say doesn't each team specialize there own members due to there knowledge in certain team numbers when going into a mission an to me it is sad it took this long to figure out who we can trust an not trust within are long standing allies an we have to keep secrets.But you also have to play in different rules when playing with different cultures then are USA rules when we need better cooperation if we all want to be safe an family safe no matter where in the world we live.

Chico
 _GOTOTOP