_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Photo-Report: DML's IJN Type 2 Tank
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 07:11 AM UTC
This is a photo report on Dragon Models' 1/35th scale model of:6678 - IJN Type 2 (Ka-Mi) Amphibious Tank and can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 08:56 AM UTC
I wasn't sure what to expect for the tracks, thanks for the heads up Jim. I'm still getting this one regardless of track type, and to be honest I don't really have a problem with DS although I do prefer MT.
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
Well heck, for only $22.95 extra the modeler can order those Cyber-Hobby Ka-Mi indy links seperately:
http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CHC3888
Too bad they are not already in the kit. Maybe offer two boxings; either indy or styrene? Outta here, Mike sends . . .
Red_Tory
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:34 AM UTC
From the looks of the chassis and lower hull, I'm guessing Dragon will use this as the basis for a series of Type 95 Ha-Go releases.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
I like how it looks, especially the little details. I'll be getting one.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
I'm somewhat curious on why the pontoons were left out in this kit, cost I would think.
As far as the hull being used for the Type 95 Ha-Go footprint mold, it would be more than likely a totally new kit since the hull is shorter on the Type 95 Ha-Go, 172 in. vs 292 in. on the Type 2 Ka-Mi.

Good looking kit however, I'd really like to see the Type 97 Chi-Ha come out also.
I'm glad to see someone is starting to model some more Japanese Armor.

GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 03:32 PM UTC
Between Fine Molds and Tamiya, I think the Chi-Ha is well covered in 1/35. Someone still needs to make a Type 89.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 03:47 PM UTC
If the boys at hobby trackz come out with a jig for this vehicle, I will get one.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
I'll be getting this one, with the magic tracks. I have the patterns to make the floats from the AJ Press book, but I'll wait to see if the AM boys (or Dragon) can make them quicker than I can.
Between Tamiya, FineMolds, and Pit Road, I must have 18-20 different IJA tanks in the stash, including 3 excellent Type 97's and the Finemolds Type 89 Limited release kit. 4 have MR Modelbau conversions for them, then I have 4 or 5 Katana resin kits. Japanese vehicles are very interesting. I hope Dragon does more.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 04:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'll be getting this one, with the magic tracks. I have the patterns to make the floats from the AJ Press book, but I'll wait to see if the AM boys (or Dragon) can make them quicker than I can.
Between Tamiya, FineMolds, and Pit Road, I must have 18-20 different IJA tanks in the stash, including 3 excellent Type 97's and the Finemolds Type 89 Limited release kit. 4 have MR Modelbau conversions for them, then I have 4 or 5 Katana resin kits. Japanese vehicles are very interesting. I hope Dragon does more.

You wouldn't be moving to Texas anytime soon would you?
nooplwb
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 195 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm somewhat curious on why the pontoons were left out in this kit, cost I would think.
As far as the hull being used for the Type 95 Ha-Go footprint mold, it would be more than likely a totally new kit since the hull is shorter on the Type 95 Ha-Go, 172 in. vs 292 in. on the Type 2 Ka-Mi.

Good looking kit however, I'd really like to see the Type 97 Chi-Ha come out also.
I'm glad to see someone is starting to model some more Japanese Armor.

I think DML will release one with pontoons in Cyber-Hobby style and......$30 extra.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Between Fine Molds and Tamiya, I think the Chi-Ha is well covered in 1/35. Someone still needs to make a Type 89.

I second this, I'm not holding my breath on getting my hands on the Fine Molds Type 89.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 09:50 PM UTC
Personally, I think DML have been both imaginative and astute in releasing this subject. Imaginative in the sense that a degree of 'Mission-Creep' has entered into their releases for the last year or so. People are simply NOT enthused by minor variations on the PzIV chassis. The interest and attention has been captured by Bronco, Trumpeter & Hobby Boss. This release, while it may not get the adrenalin going with those who already model Japanese subjects, may well enthuse those who've got an inkling for something new..

Maybe the issue over the tracks has overshadowed this release - after all there HAS been an additional track set released?

GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
I think anyone who models Japanese WW2 armor are jumping up and down for joy. When they first announced it, it was so unexpected. I was afraid it was one of their promises that would never be realized. I am very glad I was wrong.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 03:00 AM UTC
I also hope Dragon release a type 89, but I would really love them to release the full line of Japanese Armor. Even though Tamiya and Finemolds offer very nice kits of the type 97, which I have enjoyed building, I would love for Dragon to release their own kit. I expect the details would be better. In addition to the full gun breech, which finemolds also offers, Dragon has already tooled the full type 97 machinegun, and even the DS tracks are much better detailed and the Finemolds tracks.

I would like to see one of these as well.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/Ka-Chi1.jpg
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 1,656 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
This looks very good and very unexpected form DML.

Quoted Text

Well the 89 is covered actually, check out this link:
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMOTH-02

Cheers!
Stefan
GaryKato
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks very good and very unexpected form DML.

Quoted Text

Well the 89 is covered actually, check out this link:
http://www.hlj.com/product/FNMOTH-02

Unfortunately it is a limited edition release for that magazine and quite expensive.
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
yea!
just got a confirmation email that mine is on its way!
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 09:54 AM UTC
Also wish that we could have gotten the pontoons and the "towers" (for the commander's hatch and engine vents). Still, complete for a saipan example.
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
im sure they will come in another version.... gotta pay for those molds
to be honest I am not really a Japanese tank guy, but this thing was neato to me. any recommendations on reference/books to learn about Japanese armor?
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

From the looks of the chassis and lower hull, I'm guessing Dragon will use this as the basis for a series of Type 95 Ha-Go releases.

Actually no. There really isn't anything on this kit that could be used for a Type 95. The sprockets, wheels, idler and track are all different. The bogies might be usable (not sure) as well as the MGs and Main Gun barrel (maybe) but that would be it. Evrything else is different. As for the pontoons, Dragon may or may not release this kit again with them. They were dropped as soon as the tank hit the beach and were quite large. This is really a great release as it is not something that Dragon is known for so they prove that they can diversify. As for the tracks perhaps they missed the market on this and didn't realize until it was too late that DS perhaps wasn't the way to go and there fore released the Magic tracks seperately. Actually that is a two way street. If they would have put in Magic Tracks the people who wanted DS would have cried soooo. DS is also cheaper keeping the cost of the kit down a bit.

Roy
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

im sure they will come in another version.... gotta pay for those molds
to be honest I am not really a Japanese tank guy, but this thing was neato to me. any recommendations on reference/books to learn about Japanese armor?

Source yourself some of the books from AJ press. They're the best I've seen on WWII IJA.
 _GOTOTOP