_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
how to paint vietnam figures
batdog123
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hello All

I have created about 10 us figures and they look ok but something is just wrong about their color it just doesnt look right i was hoping someone could help whith what color to paint the uniform and webbing/accsessories of us soldiers in vietnam because i am planning to buy the bravo six platoon figures and make a diorama and i want them to look good. Prefribly Aqua color by Revel for the paint.

Cheers Everyone
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Hi Christopher,

Before There were so many Iraq,Afganistan realeases I was doing pretty much all Viet Nam dios and found the same thing.I was always using olive drab as instructions said and they just weren't right.Later I found a much better color with a touch of more green.It's Tamiya and I can't recall right now which one.Later when I get to the workbench I can tell you.

Tom
Hunnynutheadshot
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
i use Tamiya olive green for mine and i dry brush some olive drab over it to make them look worn
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:24 AM UTC
Depending on the time period you have some choices. Early on, to say about '67-68, the US Army was wearing the old school green shirt and trousers. Olive green would be about right for that. USMC had the green sateen utilities, these were an olive green to start and faded to an almost sage green color.

The first of the "jungle utilities" were for all intents and purposes green. Think NATO green but a tad yellower. They faded to all sorts of colors, mine were positively tan by the time I rotated out.

Web gear was initially canvas which faded and rotted producing a startling array of khaki like colors. Later nylon web gear was medium green, it really didn't fade, but it never came clean. Ditto flak jackets they were originally a dark green with a hint of gray similar to "Marine Green". They positively attracted dirt dust, grease, stains etc etc etc. After a bit they were just dark green.........

The Army and Marine Corps used the same helmet cover. It was a cloth cover in what we called the leaf pattern. This faded to almost one shade of light green, rotted and fell away. Mine did LOL! Scroll down to the fourth pic to see what it started as

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=USA

G

parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hey Christoper,

Sorry for the delay.The color I found that was better was Tamiya olive green.

Tom
batdog123
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the comments they have been extremely useful.

Christopher
 _GOTOTOP