_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
SAM Armour Special Offer
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
Armorama: 933 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 08:55 PM UTC
SAM Publications send us news of a special offer on their popular Armour Data File series, offering a very attractive limited deal on the ''US Army - Operation Iraqi Freedom - Abrams Stryker and Bradley'' modelling guide.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 09:07 PM UTC
This is a really good book for anyone secifically interested in Abrams, Bradfley or Stryker. It's well reviewd in this thread: https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/155889

I just hope this doesn't indicate that sales were not as good as anticipated and that we'll still get the next one in the series....hopefully soon!
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
I'm not really sure what the reasoning is on the offer, but I don't think its a result of poor sales or a plan to discontinue the line.

I'll ask Andy of course for confirmation, or perhaps he'd like to post here himself and explain the offer.

I'd assume its just a good deal to promote the range.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not really sure what the reasoning is on the offer, but I don't think its a result of poor sales or a plan to discontinue the line.

I'll ask Andy of course for confirmation, or perhaps he'd like to post here himself and explain the offer.

I'd assume its just a good deal to promote the range.

Hey all,

Well, there are several factors for the sale (economy being one), but I will say the that series is still strong with more in the works, just at a slower pace.

there was a bit of a shift internaly at the publisher that took a bit of pressure off of pumping out books. Yes, that means there is a little bit of a wait now between titles, BUT that also means the overall quaility will climb. The first volume (the one on sale) turned out pretty nice for being put together in about 3-1/2 months! Next full title will be the Desert Storm one, which you have seen sneak peaks of the models here on Armorama (M1A1 2-70, and M106A2). Ive been able to take my time on them and in the process provide some research material for Archer (all those M113 sets stemed from this project) and some other items for commercial use. Also one thing you will see more in the next volume is more first hand accounts, and unit specific focus sections for far more depth than what was possible with Vol 1 due to the time constraints.

BTW, if you all have any ideas for future titles, OR you would like to author one on a subject you have access to/ interest in, let me know and we can float it up to the editor.
Some future ones we would like to do are:
--USMC in OIF/OEF (as soon as the ODS volume is done, this will be next!)
--Cold War era (M60, and some eastern bloc stuff, maybe a early M1?)

anyway, I say all that to not fear that the series is going away....but just slowing down a bit.

Of course, do buy vol 1!! And for anybody here on Armorama that gets the book and has questions on any of the builds you can feel free to get a hold of either rmyself (Bradley and Stryker) or Ryan Harden (TUSK Abrams).

Cheers,
Andy

skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Didn't they announce the next title on the M60 awhile ago. And when can we expect the next vol to be released (date). What about a title of cold war era units (US mainly) no bias. Just get guys input with photos,etc of vehicles they have severed on in Germany, Korea, and US. Tie it with a kit book. You could say for ex, these are some photos or built up examples of an M901 ITV, M3 or M578 these are the units that used them. You include everything bumper #'s, track names, and anything else available. Just a thought.
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
Good to hear that the Desert Storm volume is still on. When I saw the Desert Storm special in SMMI I was afraid they'd cancelled the book and just used the articles in the mag instead.

You guys did a great job on the OIF volume - one of the best modelling books I've bought. I'll definitely be waiting in line for future volumes.
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 06:51 AM UTC
I enjoyed the book very much and waiting for other titles, USMC in OIF/OEF is a great idea, I'd like to see a book about the Soviet army in Afghanistan, I know it's a long shot but who knows.
Gundam-Mecha
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I enjoyed the book very much and waiting for other titles, USMC in OIF/OEF is a great idea, I'd like to see a book about the Soviet army in Afghanistan, I know it's a long shot but who knows.

I second that! A Soviet Afghanistan book would be great. Also there are so many great kits and conversion sets available for the topic and with the new Trumpy BTRs coming out that would be great timing. I'm sure there would be a big demand from folks on the Russo soviet board
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Didn't they announce the next title on the M60 awhile ago.

You may be thinking of the M60A1 that will be in volume 2 covering ODS.. other than that, nothing M60 related has been announced

Quoted Text

And when can we expect the next vol to be released (date).

Well, I have a Modeler Data File to finish first (A-1H Skyraider), once that is done, the next volume (ODS) will be wrapped up..right now its about 50%, so mainly have to finish the M106 and write up the reference portions. Im hoping to have the Skyraider book off to the publisher by the end of the year, and 'maybe' we can get the ODS title done mid spring.

Quoted Text

What about a title of cold war era units (US mainly) no bias. Just get guys input with photos,etc of vehicles they have severed on in Germany, Korea, and US. Tie it with a kit book. You could say for ex, these are some photos or built up examples of an M901 ITV, M3 or M578 these are the units that used them. You include everything bumper #'s, track names, and anything else available. Just a thought.

Thats excactly the idea we would like to do. The publisher wants to keep the titles centered around overall events, not specfic vehicles or units...thus "Cold War" would have some various US/NATO armor from 70's-80's. It could become a 2 volume deal --one US/NATO and other Eastern bloc...but that all depends on sales! I also like the idea of doing some of the more odd armored vehicles, such as recovery, or BMPs, etc... Chances are we would probally end up doing a US, one NATO, and one t-62/ T-72 in the same volume... but that is far off in the horizon so we will discuss that more when the time comes
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good to hear that the Desert Storm volume is still on. When I saw the Desert Storm special in SMMI I was afraid they'd cancelled the book and just used the articles in the mag instead.

You guys did a great job on the OIF volume - one of the best modelling books I've bought. I'll definitely be waiting in line for future volumes.

no, ODS is still on. The abrams ended up in there as the editor needed a build, and the Abrams was close enough to done to publish, so we tossed it in. Of course in the book there will be much more step-by-step photos, more discription of the build, and even some additonal details and corrections that i didnt get done in time for the mag article. Plus I still have a M106A1 and Ryan is working on a USMC M60A1 with dozer blade and open engine bay! Ive also collected a lot of great photos and infomation from ODS vets to share too. BTW, im still collecting, so if there is any more ODS armor photos floating around, do drop me a line!
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 02:20 PM UTC
Andy, that is what I'm talking about. On the lines of Tankograds Reforger, USA Europe, and USA Korea. It can be based around a particular event like Reforger,etc but just need better photos of vehicles, mostly the bumper numbers. But I was thinking 70'-90's, this century could be included, but what is missing is history of the Cold war era. Units like 5 & 8 ID, 2 & 3 AD, have been forgotten except by those were in those units. This is just what I was thinking with this.
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 05:27 PM UTC
Aa-hmm? I thought the Israeli one was due up next? No matter, I'll probably get them all.

Jim
stephane
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hi Andy
Is it possible to pay via paypal?

Thanks in advance
Stéphane
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aa-hmm? I thought the Israeli one was due up next? No matter, I'll probably get them all.

Jim

Hey Jim, the Israeli one is comming out next.... sorry, forgot about that! Though the editor is handling that one and it is going to have a lot more builds and more subjects than the standard ArmourData series. Im contributing a Magach 6B build to it, and I know Ryan and Keith are also contribuiting some stuff, along with a few others.

Im sure there will be a news announcement when its out!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 09:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy
Is it possible to pay via paypal?

Thanks in advance
Stéphane

Hi Stephane.... yes, paypal is accepted!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andy, that is what I'm talking about. On the lines of Tankograds Reforger, USA Europe, and USA Korea. It can be based around a particular event like Reforger,etc but just need better photos of vehicles, mostly the bumper numbers. But I was thinking 70'-90's, this century could be included, but what is missing is history of the Cold war era. Units like 5 & 8 ID, 2 & 3 AD, have been forgotten except by those were in those units. This is just what I was thinking with this.

I will keep that in mind for sure. One of the things I personaly want to do within the series as much as possible is capture some of the history of various units, and individual accounts of events. Digging through some various military forums there is a wealth of veterans out there that tell some great accounts.
Well keep your eyes out here on Armorama... im sure when the time comes and we are gearing up for another title, hopefully the Cold War, ill be putting a call out for photos, accounts, interviews, etc. Your more than welcome to chime in with whatever you can contribute.
Thanks for the ideas!
Andy
outlaws
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 17 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 01:25 PM UTC
Where can I buy this book?

Thanks
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Armorama: 979 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Kevin,

I purchased my copy for the £9.99 sale price directly from SAM Publications, but you have to register on the site first.

I had to e-mail to the publisher ([email protected]), though, to get them to "fix" my order since it didn't reflect the sale price. That was a couple months ago, so hopefully they've got it straightened out now.

I really like this book, since it has a really great format of actual photos followed by a kit build for each subject. Even though the built kits are all 1/35, there's plenty of info for transfering to other scales (especially Braille Scale). But then again, I could be just a little biased.

Keep 'em coming, Andy!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 03:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I really like this book, since it has a really great format of actual photos followed by a kit build for each subject. Even though the built kits are all 1/35, there's plenty of info for transfering to other scales (especially Braille Scale). But then again, I could be just a little biased.

Keep 'em coming, Andy!

Thanks Jeff! We will as fast as I can! now your comment on including some Braille scale has me thinking .....
 _GOTOTOP