_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
NEWS
Operation Typhoon: New DML Figures
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 03:44 AM UTC
Another 1/35th Scale Figure Set from Dragon Models and yes, another set of Germans.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Yippee,more freezing Germans...ho hum...

I really would love to see some G.I.s from the Typhoon of Steel .I had, for a millisecond, thought Dragon had something different in figures out......Oh well, the figures look good , and the Gen II gear is a great plus....
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 05:11 AM UTC
I am not so keen on the figure on the right but I can see possibilities with the other three.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
I agree, Darren, he looks like he's hawking newspapers.

But overall it's another good set to mix & match for a chilly Eastern Front diorama.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
You could always re-mould the arm of the guy on the right (or replace it with a suitable spare) to have him pointing or something like that. I think they probably should have done that in the first place- he looks too nonchalant with his hand in his pocket. The assortment of different clothes and poses is nice overall though, I think this set has plenty of scope for various things.
manicmodeler
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC
how about some early ww2 US army figures?
milvehfan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,116 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi,
Another Nice set of figures....well 3 figures, that 4th one on the right is not so nice. Dragon puts out some Very Cool stuff but they really need to move on and do some WWII Allied figures and more Modern kits,( Figures, Artillery and Vehicles).
My 2 cents worth,
milvehfan
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:40 AM UTC
The figure on the right looks...at least in the images provided...remrkably like SS General Paul " Papa" Hausser. I don't know if this was intentional but if the production figures look as good as the CAD images there are some great diorama possibilities. I am a fan of all things (Military...not political) WWII German. I like this set .
I agree that there are sooooo many Allied figure possibilities that are stll unexplored and unrelesed. The Bronco 17 pounder crew is definitely a step in the right direction. Hopefully DML will look towards more Allied subjects in the future.

Jeff
Bizarre
Visit this Community
Akershus, Norway
KitMaker: 1,709 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You could always re-mould the arm of the guy on the right (or replace it with a suitable spare) to have him pointing or something like that. I

pointing is for Tamiya figures

I think the set looks good.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Inspiration for figure on right

SS General Paul " Papa" Hausser
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
As a comment to the requests for Allied figures I will agree but add that I am not as bothered as once I was due to the efforts of MasterBox and MiniArt who are helping to diversify the figure market. If there is one thing I would ask of DML it is that they release Gen 2 weapons sets for all armies as stand alone items as it is an area where they have the edge at the moment.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As a comment to the requests for Allied figures I will agree but add that I am not as bothered as once I was due to the efforts of MasterBox and MiniArt who are helping to diversify the figure market. If there is one thing I would ask of DML it is that they release Gen 2 weapons sets for all armies as stand alone items as it is an area where they have the edge at the moment.

Definetly, I use these quite a lot and it would be great to have them to buy as sets instead of having to get a figure kit just for the Gen2 weapons.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Inspiration for figure on right

SS General Paul " Papa" Hausser

Generals can be nonchalant at their discretion. Pretty good poses and outfitting for German troops.
As with you others, I'd REALLY like to see a couple sets of winter GI's on the march to relieve Bastogne...............
Cheers!
Rick
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 2011 - 08:02 AM UTC
I really like this set, the third figure from the left looks really cool!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 01:02 AM UTC
It's a strange thing, but whenever I post News of a figure release by DML, it's a little like lighting the blue touchpaper on a dodgy firework. You never know whether it's going to light up the night sky or blow up in your face...

Unfortunately as well, every New DML release also seems to create a list of what some people would like to see.

Now, it's good that people comment on these threads, but to be honest, there really ISN'T much point turning them into requests for Allied figures...

As Darren pointed out, if you want Allied then look to Masterbox, MiniArt (or increasingly entering the figure market) Bronco. There have been a LOT of announcements from these three recently with Allied subjects. Why do people assume the only manufacturer out there is Dragon?

I couldn't agree more (and i'm tired of repeating it to Dragon) that the DML GenII weapon/equipment sets SHOULD be released seperately as (currently) they are the best available.

Saying that, i've got some News in the pipeline on a NEW range of 1/35th Scale weapon sets (in styrene) which should keep everyone happy!

You'll just have to wait though...
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
The figures look to be excellent in molding and detail, as is now expected from DML. I don't really like the "four individual figure kits" approach as much, even when the look nice. I think most would get this set just for one or two of the figures, which is still cheaper than most individual resin figures.

As for weapons, I am now very interested in what Jim is hinting at.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It's a strange thing, but whenever I post News of a figure release by DML, it's a little like lighting the blue touchpaper on a dodgy firework. You never know whether it's going to light up the night sky or blow up in your face...

Unfortunately as well, every New DML release also seems to create a list of what some people would like to see.

Now, it's good that people comment on these threads, but to be honest, there really ISN'T much point turning them into requests for Allied figures...

As Darren pointed out, if you want Allied then look to Masterbox, MiniArt (or increasingly entering the figure market) Bronco. There have been a LOT of announcements from these three recently with Allied subjects. Why do people assume the only manufacturer out there is Dragon?

I couldn't agree more (and i'm tired of repeating it to Dragon) that the DML GenII weapon/equipment sets SHOULD be released seperately as (currently) they are the best available.

Saying that, i've got some News in the pipeline on a NEW range of 1/35th Scale weapon sets (in styrene) which should keep everyone happy!

You'll just have to wait though...

Well Jim, it's like this- I don't remember, on any modeling forum, anyone asking for a nonchalant, obscure ,wermacht general standing in conferance. Never saw any requests for more winter-garbed german warriors suffering the chills.
What requests I have seen and made for a few years now are vastly differant from what is being released now, isn't it? I'm sure if you take a few moments to flick through the polls of the past about what we modelers asked for, you'll realize that most are ignored by the larger makers because they still cling to the "German sells" mentality. I'm not so sure that applies to the market that strongly anymore. The smaller outfits are responding to the polls in a much more nimble fashion and will grow larger because of that.
I'd like to see the major makers lean much more to the victorious troops side of the war and portray their efforts to overcome adverse situations by enemy forces.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 09:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well Jim, it's like this- I don't remember, on any modeling forum, anyone asking for a nonchalant, obscure ,wermacht general standing in conferance.

No, no, no! As Bill said, he's a newspaper vendor! Now, just how obscure do you want?
 _GOTOTOP