_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
VIDEO
Cracking the Box: 38(t) Hetzer STAR
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 12:03 PM UTC
Jim takes a quick peek at this new release from Trumpeter, the Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer-STARR.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 01:46 PM UTC
Hello,Jim.
Better review. Perhaps a bit of a format, What's included. Quality of molding ( sinkholes / flash). And a rough view of gaps like you showed, if possible. If you can take the time to set up a "set" to place the sprues, then start recording, you may be able to have them properly framed.
I am surprised, Trumpeter did not make the front fenders PE, and yet gad other small pieces as PE. The engine compartment is nice, I hope they can guesstimate what a Starr interior would look like.
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 02:03 PM UTC
Thanks for the review Jim; the Hetzer is my fave panzer (actually a panzerjager) too. This looks like another quality kit from Trumpy. See you in March.

Matt
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:22 AM UTC
It's certainly time for a newer Hetzer model. Dragon's wasn't bad, but had it's faults. I would have preferred Trumpeter released a standard early, mid, or late production vehicle, rather than the rarer Starr version. Maybe this will make Dragon release an improved version to trump ( ) Trumpeter.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's certainly time for a newer Hetzer model. Dragon's wasn't bad, but had it's faults. I would have preferred Trumpeter released a standard early, mid, or late production vehicle, rather than the rarer Starr version. Maybe this will make Dragon release an improved version to trump ( ) Trumpeter.

So, are we completely ignoring the very nice and much praised Tamiya released variant that came out a few years ago then........
sword86
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 25 posts
Armorama: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:46 PM UTC
Did I see that the roadwheels in the video were the earlier bolted ones rather than the later riveted wheels that you'd expect to see on the Starr?
FYI, the whole roadwheel thing came to light on the forum when the preview of this kit showed up on Armorama a few months ago.
And...wasn't the Starr pretty much a 'paper panzer'? Wasn't there only something like less that 10 produced, and some question as to whether any of 'em saw combat?
Perhaps some of the more well versed Hetzer folks can weigh in here.
Also, are there any aftermarket 'late' riveted roadwheels available in this scale?

Thanks.

_GOTOTOP