Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
US Halftracks Campaign
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 04:47 AM UTC
Wow Sal! You must have a magic wand or somethin', it's looking great!

The speed at which you are building will put us all to shame!

I do wonder why they badged this as an M4 when clearly there HAD to be other designations for it!

~ Jeff
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:33 AM UTC
Here is my entry for the campaign. I don't know that I'll use all the PE, but we'll see.

kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 09:06 AM UTC
Here is my latest progress update. Hopefully I should be able to start painting the interior tomorrow. Also I've spent the last 2 days constructing and entrance to a Dutch military base out of plaster.

Chris

ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 02:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sal, looking good. Man! You work fast! What markings are you planning to put on this one?

Jeff no magic wand, Im retired so other than taking my daughter back and forth to school, working out on the AM and getting dinner ready, I sit and build all day Helps that my work bench is in my kitchen

Guy haven't decided on the markings yet but it will be 1 of the 1's that came with the kit

PS Christopher looks like the speed builder here, looking forward to seeing that with some paint there buddy
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 03:38 PM UTC
Thanks Sal for the comments, the kit is actually simple to build. Besides I'm a stay home day myself and have plenty of time to build. After being in the army and away from my family so much, I decided to make up on lost time with my boys.

Can't wait to see everyone else's builds, keep em coming.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2012 - 08:15 PM UTC
Christopher, it is time well spent. I took off almost 10 years from the ratt race to home school my daughter who had ADD and what you gain from it is precious.

This Saturday I will have progress pics, just need to get caught up on a few things. Install a dishwasher, water heater and maybe go AC unit shopping. Not much to do other than that.

~ Jeff
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 08:43 AM UTC
Ok quick question for all the Half-Track fanatics here Did any of the M4 81mm Motar Carriers with the rear facing tube, I would guess early model, have the extra mine storage racks on the side of the vehicle
I can only find photos of 1's with the front facing tube, so before I add them on, cause I think that would look cool I figured I better ask
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 12:17 PM UTC
from one of my books

These photos show a M4A1 and says they were taken at Fort Knox in Feb 1944.

from a quick reading the M4 81mm mortar carriers were intended for the mortars to be fired from the vehicle only in an emergency and so had a limited traverse

The M4A1 fixed this problem. The M4's already build were to be upgraded in the field.

The first 100 M4A1's were delivered in May 1943 with the production run ending in Oct of the same year for a total of around 600.

all the photos in the book of the M4 have no mine racks.

hope this helps.

Delbert

some more general info.

the M4A1's had a different internal arrangement from the M4's , mainly in the ammo bins, due to the larger traverse.

the M4A1's also in my books had rear storage boxes added.

The M4's were based upon the M2 Half track car.

some units modified them to have their mortars fire forward most notable was the 2nd armored division.

The M21 based upon the M3 was finally decided on by the army as the replacement for the M4's and it had a forward firing mortar as standard.

I did find this photo in another book.

Antoon3103
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 224 posts
Armorama: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hi,

Here is another update, i completed the chassis:

Greetz
Tony
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2012 - 09:49 PM UTC
Hey guys .. Well i have been playing with my customers M2 half track ,,and so far its been a whole new experience,never did so much PE and i'm not even half way there ,,but ohhh momma ,,this is gonna be something interesting ,,so here's some pics of what i have been up too

The new engine ,,with a little more added

Was going to use these Blackdog front wheels but then decided to make my own .

Built the front mount for the winch and mounted the engine and the radiator .

Then made a start on the body ..what have i gotten myself into here

Thats it for now .. its been a busy two days getting it to this point and oh there's so many more days to go

Phill
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hey Delbert Thanks for the pic and the help, as it turns out 1 of the pics that I had was all i needed, guess I need to look at my pictures a little better

Phill, nice job with all that PE there what did you make the tire chains out of

Tony hope you didnt glue those idealer whheels on yet it will be a little tuff to get those tracks on if you did

I am almost ready for primer just adding some storage to my M-4 before I shoot it up
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
Just finished up my Dragon OOB campaign M4A3 105mm. All that's left to do is a few coats of Dullcoat. So I'm ready to get started in the Half-Track campaign.

My entry is the DML M2A1 Half-Track, but I still haven't decided which version to actually build. As with most of my other builds, I'm planning on basically a OOB effort, as my models are just for display at home, and sharing them with a few other modelers that I've known for years.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's builds, as I'm sure I'll be learning quite a lot from this crew.

Here's the mandatory box picture with the unopened sprues.

SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 07:35 AM UTC
Great progress, Sal and Christopher.

Phill, that is some real nice details. Love those wheels - that is just great detail. I might just steal that idea for my half track.

I am going to build the old Tamiya quad .50 Cal. It will be some time until I start though as the workbench is full.
Antoon3103
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 08:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tony hope you didnt glue those idealer whheels on yet it will be a little tuff to get those tracks on if you did

Hi Sal,

Not to worry, idlers and front wheels not yet glued. Thanks for the tip anyway.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
Great work so far everyone, keep up the good work.

I was hoping to start painting lastnight, but some jackass ran my wife off the road on her way to work. She's fine, but I spent all morning repairing the radiator and now everything is fine again.

I'm in the middle of gathering up the paints I need to start paint this afternoon. Should have some stuff posted tonight.

Take care everyone.
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Armorama: 2,693 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok quick question for all the Half-Track fanatics here Did any of the M4 81mm Motar Carriers with the rear facing tube, I would guess early model, have the extra mine storage racks on the side of the vehicle
I can only find photos of 1's with the front facing tube, so before I add them on, cause I think that would look cool I figured I better ask

One unit modified their M4s to fire forward. I mentioned it in my review of the Dragon M4 kit.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/2973
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
Sal .. thanks mate ,, i made the chains out of chain I used rb model chain to make it easy for you this is the size i used ,,1,30x1,75 086 02 .. all i did was glue the chain to the wheel and then glued the cross chains to the other chains ..simple as hell

Jesper .. and thanks to you too buddy ,,I can't take to much credit for all that detail ,,all that PE takes care of that and feel free to nick as much as you want

Phill
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC
Really thinking about converting my T-19 build into an M2A1 after looking around on the Tank Workshop and their canvas cover offering. I already have 2 1/16 M-16's that one will be the T-19, the other a M3?

http://www.tankworkshop.com/Shop/agora.cgi?cart_id=632.12664&next=40&exact_match=on&product=Tank+Workshop&user4=American

What ya think? I have to build the 105 anyway to scratch build it in 1/16 for my RC project so it's not like I'm getting out of any work.

I just like the cover so darn much and I know it won't fit over the gun carriage.

I also like their wheels with chains too.

~ Jeff
Antoon3103
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hello all,

Here a small update again.
I put on the tracks (not glued) and finished the front extension.

Here r the pics.

thats it for now

Tony
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 09:25 PM UTC
Jeff .. mate how bout keep the gun but use the chained front wheels ? ..those wheels look very nice and would do your model very nicely indeed ..but that canvas roof is boring as hell .
Now a wintered up machine always looks cool .looks better in winter and fighting at the same time ..lots of mud and snow .. looks brilliant .

Phill
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2012 - 10:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff .. mate how bout keep the gun but use the chained front wheels ? ..those wheels look very nice and would do your model very nicely indeed ..but that canvas roof is boring as hell .
Now a wintered up machine always looks cool .looks better in winter and fighting at the same time ..lots of mud and snow .. looks brilliant .

Phill

WHAT? "boring as hell"? Now you have hurt my feelings!!!

I thought you of all people would be more supportive.

~ Jeff
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 08:04 AM UTC
Chris, Tony, & Phil, the three of you are building at a amazing pace. All I've managed to do is open the box, look at the instructions, and post the required box/sprue picture.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC
Phil, just took a good long look at your PE work. It's truly amazing. Looks like it's going to be one great build.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 09:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Phill

WHAT? "boring as hell"? Now you have hurt my feelings!!!

I thought you of all people would be more supportive.

~ Jeff

Oh please Jeff mate don't be hurt by what i've said ,,thats just me in general , hell i don't have a single model with the rear covered ,its something about being able to see the detail and all it is is that i want to see the detail in the rear of your T19 and of course that nice 105mm and if you know me by now you know i love big guns ,,fact i'm getting the Bronco Flak 41 and the Trumpeter 122mm corps gun M1931/1937 big guns dude ..but since by the sound of it your really wanting to build her up with the canvas roof then go for it dude .. you got my support but you gotta use those wheels too

Phill
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2012 - 09:25 AM UTC
What was the LPI rating on the chain you used Phill? My PC completely skipped over those pictures when it loaded your reply, so I missed it. I think homemade is better than the Black Dogs too! I have some chain laying around ... need to see.

I also need to see if the sides on the back of the truck will work with this cover. Right now I just got through putting out some fires on a new range we bought and had delivered. The doofuses milled the shaft on one of the rheostats way too small, about 1/16 of an inch and the knob won't fit snug. So ... they WILL bring out a new stove tomorrow for I told them %@*! on fixing this one!

~ Jeff